FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 167 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
UKfightfreak 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#118958 - 05/20/03 12:07 PM Shortness of breath
Glashopper Offline

Loc: Omaha, NE USA
I wondered if anybody else suffers from this? I'm 44 years old, 5'8 and just under 200 lbs. My biggest problem surfaces when I'm in line to spar. We spar for two minutes and then find another partner. We might do this half a dozen times and I have a tough time making it all the way through as I'm weezing so bad. My doctors told me I have asthma and I thew away my inhalers 3 three years ago. We warmed up last night's session by skipping rope for 5 minutes and I had to stop several times. I found my rhytym, but could not find my breath. I figure if this is my weakness, than I should go out and buy a rope and start building up the amount of time I can skip rope per day in an effort to build up my cardio-vascular stamina.
Does this sound reasonable or am I fighting a losing battle?
Thanks

#118959 - 05/20/03 12:46 PM Re: Shortness of breath
JohnL Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: NY, NY, USA
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Glashopper:
I wondered if anybody else suffers from this? I'm 44 years old, 5'8 and just under 200 lbs. My biggest problem surfaces when I'm in line to spar. We spar for two minutes and then find another partner. We might do this half a dozen times and I have a tough time making it all the way through as I'm weezing so bad. My doctors told me I have asthma and I thew away my inhalers 3 three years ago. We warmed up last night's session by skipping rope for 5 minutes and I had to stop several times. I found my rhytym, but could not find my breath. I figure if this is my weakness, than I should go out and buy a rope and start building up the amount of time I can skip rope per day in an effort to build up my cardio-vascular stamina.
Does this sound reasonable or am I fighting a losing battle?
Thanks
[/QUOTE]

No it isn't a losing battle but a couple of points may be worth noting.

If your wheezing is related to asthma, you should talk to your doctor before continuing exercise. They will give you good advice. In addition, make sure your instructor is aware of your condition.

5'8" and 200lbs. Sounds a bit overweight. A diet might not go amiss combined with exercise that your condition allows. It's easier to move 175lbs around instead of 200lbs. (Think of it as exercising with 5 standard bags of potatoes strapped to your body. And you're wondering why you have trouble?)

The battle isn't a losing one. It just needs fighting in the right way. It's one worth fighting and winning.

Good Luck.

JohnL

#118960 - 05/20/03 05:23 PM Re: Shortness of breath
Glashopper Offline

Hey John!
You're right about my being over weight and it's been a battle. I started TKD to help me with my confidence and weight problem. I quit smoking 10 years ago and stopped drinking a year ago as well. I have an occasional beer from time to time and will limit myself to two drinks when I do feel inclined to drink. I eat less than before and I drink more water than ever!
Carrying around extra weight is the last thing I need to do. I used to be such a skinny guy and my father and brothers all hit over 200 lbs. I refuse to hit over 200 and mean to hit 170 this year. Maybe the weezing would stop if I dropped the weight... as for doctors? If my leg isnt' broke, I'm not going to see one. I gave them up 3 years ago when I threw the inhalers away! (G) I don't mean to sound like an idiot, but my ex-wife runs herself and the kids there for every sniffle and scratch. I got caught in the middle of it and tired of it all as nothing ever seemed to be cured. They treat the symptom and that's it. Since I moved away after the divorce, I have only been sick once and I got through it without a trip to a doctor. I'll go if it requires stitches or a cast. Thanks again for the commen sense approach!

#118961 - 05/21/03 04:49 AM Re: Shortness of breath
UKfightfreak Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: San Francisco
There are breathing techniques no that can greatly help asthma sufferers, if I come across the name of it I will let you know.

#118962 - 05/21/03 12:07 PM Re: Shortness of breath
Glashopper Offline

Thanks TKDFF!
It only happens when I'm sparring or jumping rope. Today I'm hobbeling around due to sore calves. I went Monday and the lunges across the floor and back are a bugger. I went again last night and enjoyed the sparring, but it didn't help the calf muscles. Usually it helps to go another night and it sets my body right again. I plan
on going tonight and tomorrow night
I noticed something last night that was kind of funny. My second partner was a white belt who asked to spar. He has no technique yet and I am supposed to come down to his level of belt while sparring. It makes you think differently and there are all the basics a guy really needs in the white belt form. He just charged in and was stiff as a board. There wasn't much sparring going on or at least an even exchange or technique as his onslaught was one punch or kick after another. I can now look back and see how I was in the early stages and how frustrating it must have been for the upper belts to deal with. Sparring is supposed to be a trading of techniques in combinations. I can now see the growth in myself beyond just learning forms. I also understand that sparring is only the practice of offense and defense in a safer place. An even exchange that allows each student to work at their own belt level.

#118963 - 05/21/03 01:53 PM Re: Shortness of breath
UKfightfreak Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: San Francisco
There are very few times when you can really go for it, and if you feel you can, you should be under the watchful eye of a 3rd party or instructor.

I love full contact, but there are few people that I can really go all out with as they are either above or below my level.

So I am either not going for it, or going for it but not getting anywhere.

It's a problem for all Martial Artists, but it sounds like you are coping with it very well.

#118964 - 05/21/03 04:28 PM Re: Shortness of breath
Glashopper Offline

One cool thing about our school is that every Friday evening, you can come in and just spar with the instructors. I am always working on a Friday night since I am an entertainer by trade, but I love to spar with the upper ranks as I'm always learning something. We are lucky to have so many great teachers... in and out of the school. (G)

#118965 - 06/08/03 11:06 AM Re: Shortness of breath
dawgzog Offline

i have asthma to and im a kid. Its hard not bieng able to do what other kids can do. glashopper i know how you feel. i cant run long distances and some short distances. I hope you get this reply cause you are not the only one. I thought i was. i take my inhalers and they still barely help. i have a lot of asthma attacks.

#118966 - 06/08/03 04:01 PM Re: Shortness of breath
Rand Offline

it cant be completely because of his weight if you are new to martial arts it might take a little bit to get used to strenuous activity

the reason i say it cant be completley because of weight is because im 6' 3" and weigh 360 and i dont have breathing problems

#118967 - 06/08/03 04:17 PM Re: Shortness of breath
Glashopper Offline

I was taking a look from a medical standpoint and the lungs must take in more oxygen to keep the heart pumping. I have too much fat around the waist, stomach and chest and it must be a struggle for the organs to function properly due to the compression caused by the fatty tissue. I've lost 7 pounds over the last week and will continue until I have a decent weight. I've been involved in MA for over a year now and I've actually increased my exercise amount, but feel as though the shortness of breath is getting worse and starting to affect my singing as well. It may get worse before it gets better...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga