FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 31 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AndyLA 5
Dobbersky 5
Ed_Morris 4
ergees 3
futsaowingchun 3
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 03:51 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35573 Topics
432484 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 14 of 15 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 >
Topic Options
#118504 - 11/22/04 10:11 AM Re: Why Does tkd have high kicks?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by isshinryu kid:
[QUOTE]Plz Don't take this as a insult, But High kicks are a waste of movement. Cause the high'er the kick the more open a person is.Why does anyone need to kick to the head, that won't disable a person, the same way a kick to the knee, would.A Good ol simple kick to knee,& That that will finnish the job. Example If someone starts to harrass ya & then steps forward with the left foot, do you kick them in the head?No of course not,The Targets are the Knee,shin & the arch of the foot.It cld be a straight kick or side kick or cross kick depending on your position. I Mean no insult by this, It's just my opinion.But If Im wrong, plz explain why the high kicks? I Remember tkd practitioner was in the ring with a friend of mine who was from the same dojo as I.Evertime He started to kick high he'd get hit,& he did it again & got kicked in the groin. in Isshinryu karate a kick to the groin is legal,But not in tkd.& this is kumite which should not be compared to self defense.So why has it become more a bout kicking in the head? You should sidestep or parry,Make you blocks strikes.Keep your kicks low so you can be ready if another attack were to happen. Exaggerate the move,if your foe pulls your arm,Don't fight it go with it but faster & give'm a knee.Or do high low combinations,Until the oportunity presents itself. But never kick high in a real fight. PS But Thats just my opinion. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

[This message has been edited by isshinryu kid (edited 12-21-2002).]
[/QUOTE]

#118505 - 11/22/04 10:18 AM Re: Why Does tkd have high kicks?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Does tkd have any kicks that are low?& IF SO WHY not use them as well? Don't get me wrong I respect the tkd practitioners.I wont make a war out of who's style is the best.I Just want to know wht happens to the tkd practitioner when he/she gets older & can't kick high anymore. PS My opologies fo tomany questions. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/frown.gif[/IMG][/QUOTE]

#118506 - 11/22/04 10:28 AM Re: Why Does tkd have high kicks?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think meditation gets in the way of learning slfdfence

[/QUOTE]

#118507 - 11/22/04 10:54 AM Re: Why Does tkd have high kicks?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]
I know is against the rules in taecrapdo.
He Cried like a baby, [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/redface.gif[/IMG]& Complained to my instructor
Any he left crying,& complaining,& Still waering his protective vest.I Gotta tell u waering a vest is for babies.In Isshinryu we protect ourelves with letting out our breath as we're being hit. I Guess some people havta learn the hard way [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]
[/QUOTE]

oh honey you do not understand the concept
of we answer u listen. fist of all i won't stand by and have a BF becouse your not getting the answer u want. i refuse to stand by and watch you and your keyboard harass any martial art. second of all that TKD stylist wasn't a stylist he was a *****( a big hairy *****) and again have u EVER been kicked in the face. (guess what I HAVE!!!!!)and it hurt. more than being hit in the balls the 12 times I have been. ( all times of which i have quickly recoperated.) 4 times of which I wasn't wearing a nut cup. (and dude i've been practicing MA for 7 1/2 years i know what I'm talking about.)and i would highly apreciate it if you stopped harassing are advice and listen!! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/mad.gif[/IMG] P.S. i mean no disrespect by anything i have said.

[This message has been edited by draconous14 (edited 11-23-2004).]

#118508 - 11/22/04 11:23 AM Re: Why Does tkd have high kicks?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MrHate:
There are all sorts of variables to take into consideration in any altercation. I related a real life experience to illustrate my point that kicking definately has a place in the line of self defense. You can't argue with results, can you? Fact is I dispelled an agressor with a shot to the gut and a follow up to the head. What may or may not happen in any other given situation is mere speculation on either of our parts but I feel fairly certain that I would have similar results in similar circumstances. [/QUOTE]

I acknowledge that your choice of techniqes worked in your particular real life experience. My contention is that those were not the optimal techniques for the situation. There are, as you said, many variables to take into consideration. My point is that you chose a higher risk ( to you ) technique when you could have gone with a lower risk tech and accomplished much the same goals. There might not be a second chance in self defense, and the potential cost of losing is your life. Why take any unnecessary risks?

#118509 - 11/22/04 11:29 AM Re: Why Does tkd have high kicks?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]
Originally posted by draconous14:
You kick the head to end the fight. knee shots won't knock anyone out, and have u EVER been kicked in the face. and if so were u standing afterwords(if u know what i mean)

[/QUOTE]

Knockouts are for ring fights. In a realistic self defense situation, anything that makes the opponent no longer willing or able to fight is good. You can't fight effectively with a broken knee, believe me I've tried.

[This message has been edited by KylejustKyle (edited 11-22-2004).]

#118510 - 11/22/04 09:42 PM Re: Why Does tkd have high kicks?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]
I acknowledge that your choice of techniqes worked in your particular real life experience. My contention is that those were not the optimal techniques for the situation. There are, as you said, many variables to take into consideration. My point is that you chose a higher risk ( to you ) technique when you could have gone with a lower risk tech and accomplished much the same goals. There might not be a second chance in self defense, and the potential cost of losing is your life. Why take any unnecessary risks?[/QUOTE]

I've always been taught that the best techniques are the ones that work. In the situation I faced they worked. I recognize what you're saying about kicking being riskier than punching I just disagree. It's rare to dispell someone with a single punch. The kick I landed to his stomach sat up the finish to his head. I would never try a head kick first. Head kicks are finishing moves as was pointed out above. I think it comes down to how well an individual trains. If you don't practice kicks you naturally shouldn't attempt to use them to defend yourself. If the style you train in doesn't emphasize kicks hand techniques or takedowns are definitely the way to go. I respect the methods you choose to train though I may not incorporate them into my own regimen. It just seems to me that you want me to acquiesce that kicks are somehow inferior. I won't because they're not.

#118511 - 11/23/04 03:08 AM Re: Why Does tkd have high kicks?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MrHate:
I've always been taught that the best techniques are the ones that work. In the situation I faced they worked.
[/QUOTE]

That's a really loose definition of best techniques. In certain situations a flying pelvic thrust can work. That doesn't mean it's one of the best techniques.

[QUOTE]
I recognize what you're saying about kicking being riskier than punching I just disagree. It's rare to dispell someone with a single punch. The kick I landed to his stomach sat up the finish to his head. I would never try a head kick first. Head kicks are finishing moves as was pointed out above. I think it comes down to how well an individual trains. If you don't practice kicks you naturally shouldn't attempt to use them to defend yourself. If the style you train in doesn't emphasize kicks hand techniques or takedowns are definitely the way to go. I respect the methods you choose to train though I may not incorporate them into my own regimen.
[/QUOTE]

We'll have to leave it as a difference of opinion over acceptable risks I suppose.

[QUOTE]
It just seems to me that you want me to acquiesce that kicks are somehow inferior. I won't because they're not.
[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't go that far. My position is that high kicks are less optimal than hand techniques in realistic fights. Low kicks work well though.

#118512 - 11/23/04 08:57 AM Re: Why Does tkd have high kicks?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by KylejustKyle:
Knockouts are for ring fights. In a realistic self defense situation, anything that makes the opponent no longer willing or able to fight is good. You can't fight effectively with a broken knee, believe me I've tried.

[This message has been edited by KylejustKyle (edited 11-22-2004).]
[/QUOTE]
knockouts are good in all fights however ring matches are the only ones in which they count as points. let me simplify the whole point of all my replys.high kicks should be used but only as a last resort high kicks are in fact excelent for ending the fight without getting to close.high kicks have a time and place to be used that time and place is against a wall with enough room to fully extend your legs or almost fully extend your legs. low kicks should be used more often than high kicks do to the fact that they are harder to block
or counter. however these low kicks should stay lower than right above the knees becouse that is (where i have found)to be the most effective place to hit when in NOT in face hit range. when hitting a person in the balls knee becouse knees are harder to counter and if blocked tends to damage the blocker a little bit more than u. low shots should only be used in close counters where u only have enough room to knee or to hit the knee caps. in other words high only when u have the room. low only when u have the room and don't get close just to get a low shot in instead work with the room u have.
thank you for your wonderful and accurrate info and have a wonderful day.
D14

#118513 - 11/23/04 09:12 AM Re: Why Does tkd have high kicks?
Anonymous
Unregistered

nobody is expecting any one to kick high or low. they are looking forword to a slugfest untill WHAM there opposition's foot drives untill there face, or there kneecap.
in the case of the face hit he probably still dosn't remember what happend nor probably speak. in the case of a knee shot
he probably still can't walk, or if they hit higher he probably still can't reproduce nor will he reproduce for a very very long time. as for show only in demos or for some instutors for motivation for his students kinda like a if u keep studying TKD u can also do this someday.
or if u keep learning TKD u might see me do a triple jumping round house kick to a double flip kick to a catapolting triple flip kick. u know to keep his students coming. also to motivate other peaple into joining there MA school. anyway i hope this reply helps. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Page 14 of 15 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga