FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 22 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
AndyLA 3
Zombie Zero 2
Matakiant 2
futsaowingchun 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Eugue Ryu
by
03/27/07 12:06 AM
Recent Posts
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Matakiant
09/18/14 07:11 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432495 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 21 of 22 < 1 2 ... 19 20 21 22 >
Topic Options
#118082 - 01/29/08 08:12 AM Re: Isshin-Shorinji Ryu Okinawa-Te Style [Re: buck84]
wiggy Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
Murphy 101 stated “I simply opened the corral gate to let loose a few fresh horses in the hope they might partner with a few good riders… yourself included”.

I hope that is sufficient enough… If not, I have paperwork calligraphied by Laura and signed by Soke Murphy and you, Steve… I also have references by Chris Viggiano and other senior students in the system can testify as to our/my history and status in the system.

Steve, you used to be called the ‘Iron Fist’ by Soke doing the same thing I’m doing here as I have no more tolerance for the garbage I've seen on this thread.

I agree that discussion about the system is a good thing and wish for it to continue. But, I wish that it would be participated by all without degradation of others and self promotion… I feel that the East coast group is being seen as a bunch of whiny brats who are fighting for position and soon no-one will care to participate in discussion (note, not even Dean Ansari).

If this thread continues to be used for self promotion and degrading of others or for personal gain, I propose those wishing to discuss the system move to another thread and indicate its new location so we can continue to discuss Isshinshorinji without the interruptions.

Chris Viggiano claims to be the ‘official archiver’ of the system but none on this list has seen him release anything to the group that can be substantiated. We have only seen pictures released by Chuck Cusamano, and the Illinois dojo’s, and video by Russ Tippett.

I do not know what has been going on behind the scenes in NJ and can only guess what is happening there, but I will state the following:
Dean Ansari is the documented Grandmaster.
Questions and answers can be posted by everyone on this forum.
No-one should ever be called or considered to be ‘antiquated’.

Murphy 101 stated “Of Isshin-Shorinji, some practice the forms of its infancy, others of its adolecent years, and some from the early period of its maturity. Each, depending on their time and understanding of the "Idea", bring that experience to their practice. Those who practice for their own sake are less likely to be trapped in the game of numbers, standards, and styles. Remember the Form is not Thing, its about simplicity.”

Carl
(Note; There has never been and nor will there ever be a title or rank I put here as I do not consider myself to be above or below anyone, just a student and personal apprentice of Soke Murphy’s for too brief a period)

#118083 - 01/29/08 11:21 AM Re: Isshin-Shorinji Ryu Okinawa-Te Style [Re: wiggy]
Chris Wissmann Offline

Entering the discussion at this point with the following observations entails a degree of presumptuousness that I fear is neither earned nor attractive. I hope all can forgive me the transgression.

1. Since many of us received instruction at different times, or even from instructors other than Soke Murphy, we all clearly all have much to learn about this system from each other. (I, for one, certainly have far more to learn than to share, which is why I come here.) Not all information is valid, of course, but credit readers with the intelligence and perseverance necessary to find the truth.

2. We are all representatives of Isshin Shorinjiryu, although some may have more claim to authority than others. (I, a ni-kyu, certainly claim no authority.) Credit readers with the intelligence to grasp the validity of those claims.

3. Public message boards are not the place to initiate or perpetuate personal vendettas. Remember that many readers don’t know, and probably would prefer not to know, the background necessary to follow such arguments. Speaking only for myself, I offer here an opinion that I understand may not carry much weight: I not only wish to take no side in internecine conflicts, I would prefer not to observe them at all. It is better in all respects to discuss these issues privately, face to face.

4. This is the world wide web— our potential reading audience is the entire planet, and our posts could remain online far longer than we live. Right now, people will receive more information about the style here than anywhere else on the internet. Imagine someone with no background in this style, or even the martial arts, coming to this forum, to learn— what would he or she think about Isshin Shorinjiryu? Such people, at certain points in the discussion, may not come away with a positive image of the system’s representatives (at least those willing to post on this message board), and thus the style we represent— a sad comment considering the deep importance we all place in Isshin Shorinjiryu.

#118084 - 01/29/08 01:55 PM Re: Isshin-Shorinji Ryu Okinawa-Te Style [Re: Chris Wissmann]
chris12 Offline

Good post Chris

#118085 - 01/29/08 05:11 PM Re: Isshin-Shorinji Ryu Okinawa-Te Style [Re: chris12]
sn7ns Offline

The book Asian Fighing Arts states that isshin shorinji ryu was a dropped system. This book was published in 1969.

#118086 - 01/29/08 09:55 PM Re: Isshin-Shorinji Ryu Okinawa-Te Style [Re: sn7ns]
buck84 Offline
Stranger

Loc: Warren County, NJ
GOOD EVENING AGAIN,
I FULLY EXPECTED THAT MY STATMENT WOULD CAUSE SOME UPROAR. I ALSO EXPECTED CERTAIN PEOPLE TO RESPOND AND WAS NOT LET DOWN. I AM SURE THAT MY WORDS SEEM TO BE A SLAP IN THE FACE ,BUT THEY WERE MEANT TO BE A REALITY CHECK.I WAS A STUDENT OF SENSIE'S SINCE 1971 AND A CLOSE FRIEND FOR MUCH OF THAT TIME, BUT I WAS NOT HIS PERSONAL APPRENTICE. THERE WAS ONLY ONE. I SUPPOSE WE ARE PLAYING WITH WORDS HERE BUT THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO. IT HAS BEEN SAID BY THE ABOVE THAT NO ONE KNEW WHERE SENSIE WENT, YET DR. VIGGIANO WAS IN CONSTANT CONTACT WITH HIM. THIS OF COURSE CAN BE AFFIRMED BY HIS FAMILY. HE IS THE ONLY ONE WHO HAS WORKED RELENTLESLY TO KEEP THE SYSTEM ALIVE HERE.YOU NEED TO PUT ASIDE YOUR DIFFERENCES WITH HIM.ONE LAST THOUGHT, ANYONE WHO TRAINS REGULARLY IN THE SYSTEM, MY WORDS DO NOT APPLY TO. IF YOU DO NOT THOUGH, YOU SHOULD ASK YOURSELF WHY NOT? STEVEN LUNDQUIST,SHIHAN,ISSHIN-SHORINJI

#118087 - 01/29/08 10:19 PM Re: Isshin-Shorinji Ryu Okinawa-Te Style [Re: buck84]
chris12 Offline

I sincerely hope that I was one of the people that let you down Steve, as any friend of the devil's is not a friend of mine.
Let me just respond quickly as I am practicing.
YOU ARE WRONG!!!

P.S. There were other people in contact with him.

Edited by chris12 (01/29/08 10:23 PM)

#118088 - 01/29/08 10:57 PM Re: Isshin-Shorinji Ryu Okinawa-Te Style [Re: buck84]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
buck,

I suppose you just came here to stir up contraversy, good on you. Obviously, "SENSIE", taught you well,lol.

Typing in all caps IS SHOUTING, TRY TURNING YOUR CAPS OFF.

Get a life.

#118089 - 01/29/08 11:17 PM Re: Isshin-Shorinji Ryu Okinawa-Te Style [Re: DrViggiano12]
Kwan Offline
Stranger

Loc: New Jersey
Dr. Viggiano,

My teacher. My friend. Thank-you. Thank-you for starting to bring forth the history of our system to all of us. I know that you have much more to publish and speak about as I have seen the documents, the pictures, the books and the videos. I am patient and know that with all of the listed data it will take time to properly and professionally present to this forum. Thank-you for ignoring the personal attacks against you and for remaining the gentleman that you are. The discipline and perseverence which you have gained during your journey thru the martial arts and life itself remain an example of proper adult conduct for all to follow. Thank-you for bringing Soke Murphy's System into all of our lives. We are all better for it. As your senior student...it is an honor to instruct for you and your teacher...Soke Murphy.

Steve Lundquist,

Thanks for saying what was long over do. Your words were brief but they do carry great meaning to the phrase "THE TRUTH HURTS." Steve, I know that you were very close to Soke and know many things about him and his system that others do not. When things calm down on this thread I would be very appreciative if you could provide your piece of our system's history to these posts. It would be great addition. The story that you told me this past Friday regarding why Soke started in the martial arts will be forever in my mind. One day I hope that you share that with all of the others. For the record...I stand at your side. You are a man of honor as is Dr. Viggiano.

Chris Wissman,

Sir, you do not know me and this could possibly be my last post so I would like to take the opportunity to commend you for your last post. There is wisdom in your words. There is a great opportunity here for everyone to learn about our system and the people in that system...

#118090 - 01/30/08 12:12 AM Re: Isshin-Shorinji Ryu Okinawa-Te Style [Re: Kwan]
chris12 Offline

You people really aren't worth it.

#118091 - 01/30/08 04:14 AM Re: Isshin-Shorinji Ryu Okinawa-Te Style [Re: chris12]
shoshinkan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
Good people,

im struggling with this posts relevance to the general membership and am concerned that there are a number of varied views begining to start to evolve.

Could I ask everyone here to discuss the system, its history and its practice and move on from who is the head, who knows whatever blah blah,

otherwise this thread is in danger of being locked down as it seems there are personal agendas begining to surface.

www.shoshinkanuk.blogspot.com

Page 21 of 22 < 1 2 ... 19 20 21 22 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga