FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 27 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 4
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
Today at 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
Today at 10:15 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
Today at 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
Today at 08:53 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432453 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 20 of 22 < 1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 >
Topic Options
#118072 - 01/24/08 01:59 PM Re: Isshin-Shorinji Ryu Okinawa-Te Style [Re: DrViggiano12]
wiggy Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
Chris,

Are you insinuating that anyone who does not study with you or modify their ideas with the ones you have is outdated?

Carl

#118073 - 01/24/08 07:40 PM Re: Isshin-Shorinji Ryu Okinawa-Te Style [Re: DrViggiano12]
paddles Offline

Chris Viggiano has provided a very good recap of my original posts to S7NS. I suspect this will have to be repeated many more times before S7NS begins to get it. Quite likely not worth the effort, when we can just suggest that he read the posts several more times.

I would take exception to a couple of statements though. First the history of the arts is predominantly oral and through kata. I don't think there was much of an effort at written history much before 1920. The oar kata I practice from time to time has its origins over 800 years ago. Nothing was written just the kata and the story; who taught me and who taught him. When I studied Judo at the 'Y' as a kid my teacher told of his teacher and Kano. When I studied with Grand Master Best he told stories of Shimabuku and the others he trained with. In the over 40 years that I learned from Soke he told stories. Stories of Don Nagle and 'Shimmy', of Don Bohan, and Gary Alexander and many others. He told of his friend Jim Chapman and Bill Chung. In Later years we spoke of and of Ron Landis Chuck Cusamano, Rich Orkin and Walt Fanning people I studied with, all people I learned from. I am not sure but I think Chris too is recounting stories he heard from Soke. Telling the story makes you feel closer to the man, closer to your art; closer to the Family. You see, because of our art we are tied to an oral tradition. Chris is correct, it is part of what made us. I do not find a recitation of the kata we learned when I started to be a sacrilege as it was in response to a question about our lineage. Soke once asked “What's the definition of the old Corps.”. The answer was simply “yesterday”. That joke has been with us since the Tun Tavern. Warriors tell war stories. It is part of who we are.

While I am on the subject of the family; it has always been my sense that we are all 'keepers of the flame' as we all in some way carry Soke's thought forward and his flame burns brightly through our practice.
It was in that spirit that I started posting this year. It is a sharing of thought that promotes growth. I hoped the oral tradition could continue in the 'global village'. Because of the distances we deal with it is not likely that we can sit, drink tea and 'trade lies' after training.

I have taken the liberty of posting the Three Pillars that Soke taught me as a part of our story. It is my hope that you will all enjoy this. Perhaps it will stimulate discussion of technique, how it differs from what each of you have learned how it may have changed since I recorded it that beautiful spring day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po9Yq0M_3PE

Russ

#118074 - 01/25/08 12:47 AM Re: Isshin-Shorinji Ryu Okinawa-Te Style [Re: paddles]
DrViggiano12 Offline

Russ,

We all sincerely thank you for sharing with us a precious piece of our history. It is a rare treasure to capture Soke on video.

Throughout the years, Sensei did not want to give the impression that the way he performed any kata/principle at any given moment was etched in stone.

However, to preserve his work for his daughters and grandchildren, in September of 2006, Sensei was finally ready to have my oldest son, Vico, who is a videographer and digital editor, come down to Georgia and document his theory, principles, and practices, including the historical evolution of our System.

In Gratitude For Your Contribution,
Christopher M. Viggiano

#118075 - 01/25/08 08:45 AM Re: Isshin-Shorinji Ryu Okinawa-Te Style [Re: DrViggiano12]
paddles Offline

Digital? Videographer? What? No grain, in focus, no macaws....
I'll try to put a couple of more up in the next couple of days.
It would be very interesting to compare these two points in time.

Russ

#118076 - 01/26/08 10:55 AM Re: Isshin-Shorinji Ryu Okinawa-Te Style [Re: paddles]
paddles Offline

Here is a list of the urls for 5 weaponless forms:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwGQhY7GN_Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I25pzKHHhIw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X3WusnCSRo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ktweyig3fjg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY-fJDlcreY

These should be viewed as waypoints not destinations.
The value of what Soke showed us as the system evolves is its elegant simplicity. It provides a foundation for study. Soke spoke about the devaluing of the weaponless arts in context of our present culture. What they provide, as Chris alluded to, is a basis for training with more modern weapons. Soke laid out concepts for the control of the battle space a truth for self-defense in any context. Those concepts are in our art no matter where you intercept the timeline.
A long winded way of saying I am posting these only as food for thought.

#118077 - 01/26/08 07:16 PM Re: Isshin-Shorinji Ryu Okinawa-Te Style [Re: paddles]
Zach_Zinn Offline
Veteran

Loc: Olympia, WA
Interesting stuff, the '3 pillars' form looked like a combination of Sanchin and Tensho.

#118078 - 01/26/08 08:44 PM Re: Isshin-Shorinji Ryu Okinawa-Te Style [Re: Zach_Zinn]
chris12 Offline

Three Pillars is Sanchin with Tensho, or better known as Sanchin Dai.

Edited by chris12 (01/26/08 08:45 PM)

#118079 - 01/28/08 01:25 AM Re: Isshin-Shorinji Ryu Okinawa-Te Style [Re: Zach_Zinn]
DrViggiano12 Offline

Good Morning ...

As the co-founder of Sword Stick Society International, along with my partner Mataw Guro Lou Lledo-Shihan, we run monthly continuing education workshops and weekly classes in North and Southern New Jersey.

Soke Murphy has been behind the scenes as one of our advisors since our SSSI group was founded almost 3 years ago. In addition, Soke was scheduled to travel with us throughout the workshop circuit, which now has extended to California and to the Philippines.

One of our many diverse workshop topics is ... SANCHIN & TENSHO .

Below is one of the many handouts given by us to our students. This should inspire you to research, respectfully challenge, and if you are a practitioner, regardless of your system of study, to take a glimpse into merely one grain of sand to see how all is one. Enjoy ...

Sanchin Dai Kata:

Sanchin Dai Kata , the "great battles/conflicts/pillars form", is a fundamental Okinawan empty hand form, (Kata in Japanese/Okinawan and Kuen in Chinese), with its roots tracing back to a Chinese Temple. It is where an Indian Buddhist Monk, Da Mo (aka. Bodhidarma), around 550 A.D. created strength and endurance Internal Qigong exercises known as the Yi Jin Jing (Muscle/Tendon Changing Classic) and the Xi Sui Jing (Marrow/Brain Washing Classic) routines for longevity and enlightenment. The Shaolin Monks took these principles and adopted them into their daily practices. It is documented that here is where a variety of Shaolin-szu Chuan Fa (Shorinji Kempo) or "Fist Methods" and weapon arts were systematically born for fighting, healing, and spiritual development. Coincidently, one will also find the Taoist arts from Wudang Mountain ... Taijiquan, Xingyiquan, Baguazhang and others formulating simultaneously similar methods of training.

Sanchin is also known in China as ... Sanji, San Chien, San Chan to name a few. This form is known for containing significant methods of Universal Energy (Chi/Ki/Prana) for the production, storage, circulation, and emission necessary in "Iron Shirt/Vest" and "Iron Bell" training ... initially for the body to withstand and absorb forceful blows. In addition, a practitioner develops explosive internal penetrating power (Fa Jin) applied over a short distance through directing mindset, energy production/transfer, and neuro-musculo-skeletal alignments. This revered skill is known throughout the Chinese Martial Arts (Wuyi) as (Yi + Qi + Li = Jin).

Martial Artists traveling the shipping trade routes to Fukien Province in south China brought back to the Ryukyu (Okinawan) Islands precious knowledge in which they incorporated into their own indigenous fighting and healing methods.

SANCHIN, (San=3, Chin=conflicts), translates to 3 battles/conflicts/pillars of which the practitioner journeys a lifelong pursuit in balancing the three internal struggles between the Mind, Body & Spirit. This is done by specific: stepping patterns, torso/trunk/core mechanics, upper arm angulations, and fist/grip methods. All this is powered by: dynamic muscular tension, coordinated deep abdominal breathing, and mental imagery.

This Kata, (pre-arranged sequence), is distinct in its pigeon-toed stance known as Sanchin Dachi where the lead foot is turned inward at a 45 degree angle while the rear foot is facing forward online. Weight is equally distributed on the "balls of the feet" activating the Yongquan K1 acupoint,( aka. Bubbling Well Spring Acupoint-K1:Kidney Meridian). The pelvis is tucked and muscles are contracted throughout the body sequentially to provide proper force acceptance and transfer. A semi-circular stepping pattern advancing forward, crossing and retreating backwards is essential. Slip-Stepping and Circular Stepping patterns are found in advanced stages. Moving instinctively and intuitively is the first step to becoming Formless ...

TENSHO, translates to rotating/revolving palms, is a separate Kata/Kuen whereby the dynamic position and speed of the upper torso and extremities are explored and exemplified. These intricate movements and the dexterous nature of the upper extremity are given names that mimic the animals/insects of Hung Ga Gung Fu, White Crane and Praying Mantis Systems, and the eight palms/energies found in Baquazhang to name a few. These interchangeable tools are deployed with precision for deflections, disengagements, joint locks, sealing of the breath/blood vessels, and acupoint pressure applications.

Even through present day, Sanchin Dai, with its origins traced back to China, is a fundamental Kata/Kuen found in the core curriculum of many Martial Art Systems. By exploring History, understanding Anatomy Physiology, applying Physics ... one can experience a deeper meaning in the refining of oneself in the quest for self mastery and in return the essence of all things.

Prominent Recent Masters:

Master Xie Chingxian (aka. Ryu Ryuko 1852-1930): Along with his students taught Higashionna Kantyu at a young age Fukien White Crane Boxing, Lohan Monk Boxing and Damo Iron Body Skills.

Master Higashionna Kanryo (1853-1915):
Naha-te Founder. His teachings evolved into the Shorei (External)School. The students trained for great muscular strength and preferred direct blocks, little change in position and strong crushing attacks launched at close range while holding on to their adversary.

Master Chojun Miyagi (1888-1953):
Okinawan Goju-Ryu Founder. Master Miyagi traveled back to explore his teacher's roots in southern China. He was further inspired by White Crane, Sil Lum Praying Mantis, Taijiquan, Xingyiquan, and Baquazhang philosophies and practice. He thereby blended the hardness/tension (Go) of Sanchin Sho, (the smaller abbreviated form), with his own creation of softness/pliability/flow(Ju) skills ... naming it Tensho. This is the marriage of hard/soft, Yin/Yang, In/Yo ... the dynamic interrelationship of opposing elements.

Master Gogen "The Cat" Yamaguchi (1909-1989):
Japanese Goju-Ryu Founder. Commencing his training in Jigen-ryu Kenjutsu, Master Yamaguchi was a foremost student of Master Miyagi and was sanctioned to spread the Goju-Ryu System to mainland Japan where he also combined his Shinto religion into his teachings. Master Lou Lledo is one of very few personal apprentices of Master Yamaguchi.

Master Tatsuo Shimabuku (1908-1975):
Founder of Isshin Ryu Okinawan Karate was a student of Master Chojun Miyagi amongst others which influenced the development of his own system. In 1969, Soke Murphy received his Senior Master's Certificate in Isshinryu and Kobujutsu Arts from Master Shimabuku.

Sword Stick Society International Founders:
Mataw Guro Lou Lledo-Shihan, personal apprentice of Grandmaster Gogen "The Cat" Yamaguchi
www.amara-arkanis.com

Dr. Christopher M. Viggiano-Shihan/Shifu

For further information or if you are interested in attending our continual educational events.

Dr. Christopher M. Viggiano
shihancv@comcast.net

www.swordsticksociety.com
www.streamingmartialarts.com
www.joutsunghwa-taichipark.org

For additional information or clarification, let me introduce you to my very good friends and associates in which I have been affiliated with ... many since the early 1990's, at the Tai Chi Farm Annual Zhang San-Feng Festival, founded by one of my other very influential teachers, Master Jou, Tsung Hwa (1917-1998) ... who was a very personal friend and teacher to Soke Murphy.

All of the following teachers are pioneers in their own respected arts while continually researching, developing, & sharing in the Unified Martial Arts Family, upholding the Code of Ethics & Virtues passed down to us by our most honorable teachers:

Dr. John Hsi Lee
ITG-Custom Weapons Design/Importer
Dr. Lee's Academy of Martial & Healing Arts
www.itg8.com

Dr. Yang-Jwing Ming
Yang's Martial Arts Association
www.ymaa.com

Dr. John Painter-Shifu
Jiulong Baquazhang
Li Family Daoqiquan
www.thegompa.com

Master Jianye Jiang
Capital District Tai Chi & Kung Fu Association
www.jiangtaichi.com

Master Jose Figueroa
Chen Taijiquan
Film Producer & Actor
www.darkravenstudios.com

John Hughes-Shihan
Isshinryu School of Karate
www.isshin-ryu.com

#118080 - 01/28/08 08:17 PM Re: Isshin-Shorinji Ryu Okinawa-Te Style [Re: DrViggiano12]
buck84 Offline
Stranger

Loc: Warren County, NJ
GOOD EVENING,
DISCUSSION ABOUT OUR SYSTEM IS A GOOD THING TO DO, PROVIDING IT IS NOT BEING DONE TO ELEVATE ONESELF IN THIS CYBER COMMUNITY. THIS WOULD GO COMPLETELY AGAINST EVERYTHING THAT SENSIE STOOD FOR. FOR THOSE OUT THERE WHO'S INTENSION'S ARE PURE, PLEASE DON'T TAKE OFFENSE TO THIS STATEMENT. THE PHONY ONES KNOW WHO THE ARE. AS FAR AS QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SYSTEM GOES, DR. VIGGIANO IS THE ONE TO ASK, AS HE WAS THE ONE AND ONLY PERSONAL APPRENTICE OF SENSIE MURPHYS. I AM SURE THAT THIS TOO WILL BRING ON SOME ARGUMENT, YET I KNOW THIS, AS A SENIOR MEMBER OF THE SYSTEM AND PERSONAL FRIEND OF SENSIE'S. HIS FAMILY WILL ALSO ATTEST TO THIS FACT.PLEASE REMEMBER WHY IT IS YOU STUDIED THE ARTS IN THE FIRST PLACE.
STEVEN LUNDQUIST
SHIHAN, ISSHIN-SHORINJI

#118081 - 01/28/08 10:30 PM Re: Isshin-Shorinji Ryu Okinawa-Te Style [Re: buck84]
chris12 Offline

Steve,

"I AM SURE THAT THIS TOO WILL BRING ON SOME ARGUMENT"

I am sorry that you were right about this but I have to RESPECTFULLY disagree with you. Your statement is not accurate and anyone who says different would be wrong. I had many conversations with sensei about my study with him, HE CALLED ME HIS APPRENTICE. You were present for some of my classes with sensei at his house with his family their so I am puzzled. You were their!

You may ask why I am being so defensive. Without sensei's instruction I could have traveled on a completely diferent path, maybe a bad one. He made me see many good things and called me his friend and student. No one is going to take that away from me.

You mentioned how some people here are trying to elevate oneself, your right and everyone reading this thread know who that person is. I want to make it clear that I am not concerned with any titles or recognitions as the only one who would be able to do that is no longer here(nor do I have the skill).

I will always have my practice and the memory that I WAS AN APPRENTICE OF SENSEI MURPHY.

I have always respected you and looked up to you as a senior student so please do not take this response the wrong way but I have to take exeption to your statement no matter who challenges it.

I hope you and I can move forward and as you said just have discussions about the system.

Chris Chavez
chrisfin123@yahoo.com

Page 20 of 22 < 1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga