FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 24 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Troy7785, wakita, swisztony, Tonybb, shelly1993
22920 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Matakiant 3
AndyLA 3
Bartfast 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Eugue Ryu
by
03/27/07 12:06 AM
Recent Posts
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Victor Smith
09/28/14 07:11 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
Forum Stats
22920 Members
36 Forums
35579 Topics
432500 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#117608 - 12/25/04 05:00 PM GRAND MASTER YELLOW BELT ( LOL )
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have been in JUDO for two year , and i,m still a yellow belt, i have tip all the black belt out in the class as while as the other belts, and yet still ever promotion i get pass over. there or other student that have came in three months after me and already move to a brown belt . i know my throws i know my ground work. but yet still i don,t understand it. i don,t come to class thinking i,m a bad ass i,m very respectful to all, ( which is because less and less able to do )i have talk to my teacher and he alway`s said oh i,m sorry did i forget to get ur belt, it seem now that it a joke when he say it, the first ok the second time ummm, and now just last week again.there are only two black guy`s in the school and we both get pass over. i hate to think that race has anything to do with it. i mean i luv the school and the training is good and i know belt not everything but this must end. please give me ur input. this is a small town and not many school`s around the closet place that have another judo school is philly and that, a hour away.

#117609 - 12/25/04 06:46 PM Re: GRAND MASTER YELLOW BELT ( LOL )
Ed Glasheen Offline
Veteran

Loc: Newburgh,NY,USA
Respectfully if all you want from Judo is a belt then go out and buy one.
Personally I do not like the belt system and have debated about using it or not many times. There was really never a belt system in true japanese budo arts. The culture did not need it.
My advice, go to class to improve your Judo...do not worry about the belt. Earn your respect in competition. If you dominate competition ,no sensei would hold you back.
Earning promotion requires more than technical skill.
Ed

#117610 - 12/26/04 03:24 PM Re: GRAND MASTER YELLOW BELT ( LOL )
Anonymous
Unregistered

I Understand what you mean about the belts, but as you read i have been in there for over two years a yellow belt, trust me if it was all about the belt i would have been left the class, it just the principal .thank you for your advice.

#117611 - 12/27/04 07:59 AM Re: GRAND MASTER YELLOW BELT ( LOL )
MartinR Offline

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
It took me a LONG time to progress in Judo - much longer for equivalant rank than the Karate and Tae Kwon Do I took. I spent about 5 years in Judo and only made it to Green belt. (Avg ~2 classes/week during college)

In my experience Judo encourages promotions more on how well one can actually DO the techniques on someone else (ALIVE type training) rather than simply pretty technique or time in grade. I've got a black belt in a small Karate style, but my experience in Judo I believe has been MUCH more beneficial to EFFECTIVE self defense.

As for other people who may have been promoted faster than you, I cannot say for certain but I would be suprised if it was race. The people you mention may simply be practicing more or have some experience that makes Judo easier for them (perhaps wrestling or simliar).

You may consider asking your instructor what you need to do to progress faster. (Practice fitting in, throws, matwork, better shape, attend more tournaments or classes, etc...)

Good luck.

#117612 - 12/28/04 05:58 PM Re: GRAND MASTER YELLOW BELT ( LOL )
Anonymous
Unregistered

If all your sensei says when you ask him about your progress is "Oh sorry, did I forget your belt?" then that's a problem. Sounds like he isn't taking you seriously. Even if he's trying to teach you a lesson that you just don't get yet, I'd still be suspicious of someone who is behaving in this way.

Mr. Glasheen is right on about the whole belt system thing, but I understand your concern. So should your sensei.

#117613 - 12/28/04 10:44 PM Re: GRAND MASTER YELLOW BELT ( LOL )
FearlessJones Offline

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
SB, I dont know your age or your skill level, but this much I do know, the belt doesnt mean a thing unless you plan to teach. I participated in judo for more than 4 years before ever wearing anything more than a white belt. The bigger question is are you continuing to learn in your present class? If you're stopped learning or your sensei isnt teaching you anything new, then it may be time to look for another class. If you're still learning and the problem is just getting the next belt, my advise to you is to not mention the belt for the next two promotions cycles. If you compete and you're winning your matches, the promotion will come. If you're beating higher ranks in your class then its your sensei who looks bad for not promoting you. Either way you win.

#117614 - 12/29/04 02:03 PM Re: GRAND MASTER YELLOW BELT ( LOL )
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you fearless, i know what you mean , i,m 36yrs and yes i,m i,m already teaching Tae Kwon Do as while as Hapkido, at my other school.i love cross training, but i never disrespect either school, by trying to get student to join judo, as while as taekwondo,when i,m at the school my mind is set to learn.there is a tournament in philly on april 2nd and 3rd...2005 Apr 02 18th Liberty Bell Judo Championships
USA Judo E-level Senior and D-level Junior Elite point event. Philadelphia, PA Lou Moyerman
2005 Apr 03... maybe there i can prove myself once again. i know winning don,t mean your the best, just mean you the best that day. thank you all for your input...
Ed Glasheen,MartinR,Dallas,FearlessJones

#117615 - 12/29/04 06:51 PM Re: GRAND MASTER YELLOW BELT ( LOL )
gus Offline

Loc: dixon calif.usa
I hace been involved in judo since nineteen sixty.i have never seen any student who (over 16 yrsold)did not progress to at least san kyu(third brown) in two years.so I think somebody is putting us on.you say you are thirty six.but it doesent sound that way(or read that way.if i am out of line i apolagise

#117616 - 12/30/04 08:33 PM Re: GRAND MASTER YELLOW BELT ( LOL )
Anonymous
Unregistered

I DON,T UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU MEAN GUS, I ASK FOR ADVICE NOTHING MORE, AND I,M THANKFUL FOR THOSE WHO GAVE THERE INPUT, AND AS FOR AGE,, ??? I DON,T KNOW WHY THAT`S A ISSUE. BUT THINK YOU AS WHILE.

#117617 - 12/31/04 10:25 AM Re: GRAND MASTER YELLOW BELT ( LOL )
Remandman Offline

Loc: Canada
Myself=Seven years of judo=Green Belt and much enjoyment learning the art. If all you want is a black belt for boasting rights, then find a nice McDojo and buy one there. Just go to class, train hard and don't worry about belt levels. Your Sensei will let you know when you are ready.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki, Taison 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga