FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 31 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#117281 - 09/24/04 12:05 PM Re: rough neighborhood,what kind of fighting style should i plan for?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Last thing you want to do is go on ground? Judo throw. Hurts. Much. Let's say there are 3 attackers, you are alone.. First one comes, kick him to groin area and throw one of his friends, and if the throwed guy isnt down yet, kick him to face and finish the guy you kciked to groin area. 1 guy left. If he dont have weapon he should be easy. Judo throw, then go to ground fight, broke his elbow, then... walk off/call police... Also, Pepper spray or knife would be nice, I always keep my knife with me.

#117282 - 09/24/04 10:47 PM Re: rough neighborhood,what kind of fighting style should i plan for?
Anonymous
Unregistered

just two cents, but i did read the words "sexual assault". maybe i'm pessimisstic, but i have seen more than a couple fights which involved only one grappler. could the stand up fighter keep the fight standing up? nope. and these were evenly matched opponents. hate to say it, but what makes some of you think that a guy bent on grabbing a woman and taking her to the ground or for ANY kind of wrestling activity won't be able to do it? it can and will happen. maybe judo or ju-jitsu won't save the day, but it will make a person a LOT more comfortable with grappling, which may open the right opportunity at the right time. i've also seen lots of fights between girls, and very rarely do either of them end up bleeding. this tells me that most women won't punch hard enough to make a difference. so WORK THE HEAVY BAG!!! if you aren't sure how hard you're hitting it, ask a guy to come over and punch it a few times really hard.

step one, study awareness. self defence for dummies is well written.

step two, make sure your physical fitness is up to par. i've heard good things about billy blanks and tae bo, but it could be a bunch of hype. physical fitness very important though.

step three, try to find something that incorporates basic strikes to basic, effective targets and grappling from stand-up and ground for the reasons mentioned. this should not be something fancy.

step four, get a kubiton or pepper spray. learn how to use your keys (that's right, car keys) as weapons.

step infinity, remember that self defence is rarely about fighting.
tony

#117283 - 09/25/04 01:22 PM Re: rough neighborhood,what kind of fighting style should i plan for?
Anonymous
Unregistered

i doubt you could defeat a guy who is a lot bigger and stronger than you with judo unless you are really really really good at it. and as for pepper spray, did you knew that when shooting someone with pepper spray you are almost certain to get some in your own eyes and sinus... after all this is a gas... i've been sprayed with pepper spray before and though it made me cough a lot and cry and made my eyes burn, i wasn't totally out of combat, sure it impairs your fighting ability but... and besides the person who had sprayed me had almost similar effects. oh and if you spray someone with pepper spray, since you'll breath some of it too, you won't be able to shout for help. you're better off with a switchblade to my opinion.

#117284 - 12/12/04 09:24 PM Re: rough neighborhood,what kind of fighting style should i plan for?
Anonymous
Unregistered

aikido and kickboxing!

#117285 - 12/13/04 10:17 AM Re: rough neighborhood,what kind of fighting style should i plan for?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Lots of men ready to help, ain't it cool,

me, i was in the army, and i know that a nervous soldier could defeat anybody or anything,

'cause it is the mind-set, not the body-type that counts,

GET YOURSELF A WEAPON,

and HAVE A PROFESSOINAL teach you how to use it with all the legal aspects to it!!!

you might and probably will never have to use it, not even pull it out if you are properly trained,

or...

change neighbourhood,

relying upon a martial art style is nothing short of silly... about such a serious thing!!!

#117286 - 12/24/04 08:56 PM Re: rough neighborhood,what kind of fighting style should i plan for?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Use the white crane steel pipe approach.
It works everytime....just joking unless they're
carrying the black taurus 14 round clip approach. Then you might just need to hide or run.:] Just having fun guys...dont go to sleep yet.

#117287 - 01/20/05 08:43 AM Re: rough neighborhood,what kind of fighting style should i plan for?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Guys. Late reply, I know, but I'm new to the forum. I would highly suggest an equalizer: A weapon. A knife is a possibility, however that's kinda hard to explain to people why there's a big piece of sharp steel in your purse. Pepperspray is more discreet. Make sure to step back from the area that you are spraying, as you are spraying. You might also want to consider a retractable baton. My girlfriend worked at a shelter in a shady neighbourhood, and is not a strong striker by any means, so I gave her pepper spray.

As for arts, I would recommend Wing Chun. It is, to my knowledge, the only martial art invented by a woman. Therefore it has the woman in mind. It is designed to be quick and lethal, while not requiring physical strength of the practitoner.

#117288 - 01/21/05 05:30 PM Re: rough neighborhood,what kind of fighting style should i plan for?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Rideonlythelabel-doubt you could defeat a guy who is a lot bigger and stronger than you with judo unless you are really really really good at it

Actually a grappling art like Judo or BJJ is one of the best things to do against a bigger and stronger opponent cause as i have siad before it is all about leverage.

Gerginekov-relying upon a martial art style is nothing short of silly... about such a serious thing!!!

If your saying that martial arts is not going to work in a fight then i am in complete disagreement. However if your saying it would be better to become more aware about where you go, what you do and being street smart etc...while taking an MA then i am in complete agreement.

Lastly horselover67 you should check out the link it might be something worth purchasing!
http://www.personal-selfdefense-online.com/pepper-spray-ring.htm

[This message has been edited by somedude (edited 01-21-2005).]

#117289 - 03/19/05 11:00 AM Re: rough neighborhood,what kind of fighting style should i plan for?
Anonymous
Unregistered

vim

#117290 - 03/19/05 11:06 AM Re: rough neighborhood,what kind of fighting style should i plan for?
Anonymous
Unregistered

sry bout that c'in how u do this forum thing , lol anyway i do judo and i think its good for protecting urself from a larger person as i through a 15 stone block and im only 9 stone but i would add some boxing in there girl and u will b away , trust u will b good, but when throughing do it hard and with aggresion and u will be fine [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG] dan

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki, Taison 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga