FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 66 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Dobbersky 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
SoulJah22 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
Yesterday at 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
Yesterday at 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#117168 - 03/07/04 01:08 PM Judo philosphy
Cato Offline
Veteran

I'd be interested to learn what people understand the philosophy of judo to be, and how it differs from other Japanese/Okinawan arts.

Budo

#117169 - 03/08/04 10:44 AM Re: Judo philosphy
immrtldragon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Just outside Philadelphia, PA
Tough one. Of course the underlying principles would be: max effect, min effort; yeilding to an attack to develop force to throw; better your life through training; etc.
I think most of the philosophical ideas associated with Judo come naturally. I never make an effort to do any of the above stated...they just happen with the training. You make friends, you train hard, you get better, and it all kind of falls into place (at least for me). Kano wanted Judo to be a vehicle for expression and self-improvement. Most Judoka I know have a good personality and train because they like it and see its benefits. There are always exceptions, as there are always people with a chip on their shoulder: we are still individuals. All in all, I think self improvement is a fundamental part of the Judo philosophy...and I think it occurs naturally in a good training environment. Then again, most martial arts, even more modern martial arts, would probably yeild the same ideas and results. Good environment, self improvement.
Is this the type of thing you were looking for, or did I go way off the subject?

[This message has been edited by immrtldragon (edited 03-08-2004).]

#117170 - 07/06/04 03:06 PM Re: Judo philosphy
Anonymous
Unregistered

Judo, in principle teaches very little opposition to force. Many Japanese and Okinawan arts teach opposing force: Karate for example. This is the difference in hard and soft styles. Hard styles: strike hard and end fight quickly, when they come forward, make your foot collide with their body to add their force with yours and hurt them bad! Soft Styles: perry and misdirect, when they come forward, slide to the side on an angle and gain an advantageous lock or joint manipulation or in some way help them go where they are going. This helps to force them to the ground or gets you into an advantageous postion with no force used. Harmony is the key here. This is very breif, but hope it helps a bit.

#117171 - 07/10/04 10:29 PM Re: Judo philosphy
VJ Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Slayr:
Judo, in principle teaches very little opposition to force. Many Japanese and Okinawan arts teach opposing force: Karate for example. This is the difference in hard and soft styles. Hard styles: strike hard and end fight quickly, when they come forward, make your foot collide with their body to add their force with yours and hurt them bad! Soft Styles: perry and misdirect, when they come forward, slide to the side on an angle and gain an advantageous lock or joint manipulation or in some way help them go where they are going. This helps to force them to the ground or gets you into an advantageous postion with no force used. Harmony is the key here. This is very breif, but hope it helps a bit.[/QUOTE]

Black Belt magazine just started a two-part article about the origin of Judo which my help. The first issue has UFC veteran Chuck "the Iceman" Liddell on the cover. It may help shed some light on judo's philosophy as well.

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki, Taison 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga