FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 25 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT, sagat
22914 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
AndyLA 2
Zombie Zero 2
Matakiant 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Matakiant
Today at 07:11 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
Today at 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/07/14 07:01 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
Forum Stats
22914 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432494 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#117083 - 04/06/04 10:47 PM Re: Why does Judo get a bad rep?
moondog Offline

Loc: stevens point Wi USA
I truly enjoy training in judo. I do this at least one day a week. It allows me to mend up a bit from training in jujutsu. the judo traing though tough, is gentler and not so painfull. At the same time the sensitivity Ive gained from judo has greatly impoved my abillity as a jujutsu fighter. IM currently training judo with two judoka that have their rokyu dan, so they are very skilled and they have certainly tuaght me much in the last several years. Yep Judo is great!!!

#117084 - 04/07/04 01:15 PM Re: Why does Judo get a bad rep?
VJ Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
[QUOTE]Originally posted by immrtldragon:
<takes deep breath>
That feels better. I was just saying that the foul tactics can't be relied on and was trying to show why I think that. If it came off as a tyraid (sp) I apologize.
[/QUOTE]

No doubt about "foul tactics" IM. I personally wouldn't want to bet my life on an eye poke. I'd definitely prefer to rely on serious, realistic practice and repitition any day of the week. Experience is the toughest teacher but leaves the most impressionable lessons. Thanks for the input though because it broadens my knowledge.

-VJ

#117085 - 04/07/04 08:18 PM Re: Why does Judo get a bad rep?
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
I do however feel that such "foul" tactics can create openings. I just wanted it to be known that I'm not against such tactics. I just prefer to base my skill on more "legitimate" techniques if you will.

-John

#117086 - 04/29/04 03:23 PM Re: Why does Judo get a bad rep?
VJ Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JKogas:
VJ -- it would greatly help you to take your blinders off regarding the whole sport/street thing. Why take it as a black and white issue?

If there is NO sportive qualities within your training, you're not going to be able to apply what it is that you're training!

-John
[/QUOTE]

No blinders on John. Sport judo shouldn't be considered necessarily street effective is the real point. It has to be modified to be effective on the streets for survival. Streetfights are totally different from randori.

#117087 - 04/29/04 05:25 PM Re: Why does Judo get a bad rep?
immrtldragon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Just outside Philadelphia, PA
Everyting has to be modified to some extent. Because of the way it is practiced, Judo just takes less modification. If you think you practice the way people 'street fight,' you better have a great insurance plan.

#117088 - 05/03/04 11:25 AM Re: Why does Judo get a bad rep?
VJ Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by immrtldragon:
Everyting has to be modified to some extent. Because of the way it is practiced, Judo just takes less modification. If you think you practice the way people 'street fight,' you better have a great insurance plan.[/QUOTE]

immrtldragon - no actually I don't believe you can practice the way people street fight. However I have been to a reality combat course and spoken with a few police officers. Streetfighting is the wildest, spontaneous combat a person will ever be unfortunate to experience. However to go out there with traditional fighting styles may be taking a knife to a gun fight. Just my opinion.

#117089 - 05/03/04 01:14 PM Re: Why does Judo get a bad rep?
immrtldragon Offline
Veteran

I disagree. Most 'street fighters' can't fight to save their lives. They have the agression and, um, uh, that's it. True story. This guy that lives in my neighborhood is considered one of the toughest guys in the area. He is in his 20's and has been in lots of fights over the years. I've seen many of them. He has been the winner more than the loser. About a year ago he was hanging out with mutual friends of mine and his and he wanted to mess with me. O Soto Gari to straight armbar in about a second and I was left wondering how he ever won a fight in his life. It's a true story and the guy even goes to the boxing club with me now. He's not a bad guy, just has a temper. Believe it, I've seen him beat some arse.

#117090 - 05/06/04 03:31 AM Re: Why does Judo get a bad rep?
Judo/JiuJitsu Info Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JapanJudo:
Judo is both: A Sport and a Combat Martial Art that implement applying maximum effort against the weakest link. It is up to you to learn Combat Judo and the teacher who is willing to teach you it. Another martial art that is both is SAMBO.
Mikey, one of the first things that I have learned in Judo is to protect my nuts and eyes. In fact, I wore a cup for a while after I saw a guy get hit in the crutch when his opponent executed uchimata. I had my eyes and eyelids scratched many times. There are many chokes and neck cranks in Judo that you can do without the gi. I think that mixing in punches and kicks will help and I agree that people are ignorant towards judo. Many donít even know what judo is all about! Guys and Gals you can use Judo in Combat and you can do just fine. You can use Judo not only for self defense but to be the aggressor. Though, youíd have to be a good judo player just like with anything else. Itís important for you to understand that when practicing judo you are fighting at about 75-90% power on every day basis. Another thing Iíd like to educate you on in Judo is that there is Kata in Judo. If you are a member of USJI and/or USJF you will not advance during the promotional competitions, when competing for the Black Belt or higher, if you donít do Kata!
Those who are interested to learn or try Japanese Judo and practice with National and International Champions, please visit Japan Judo dojo in Brooklyn, New York. Our telephone number is 718-331-6406. Ask for Kiyoshi Shiina. We welcome those who seek enlightenment.
[/QUOTE]

I completely agree.Very informative and high regards to your education.

#117091 - 05/07/04 03:25 PM Re: Why does Judo get a bad rep?
VJ Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JapanJudo:
I think that mixing in punches and kicks will help. Itís important for you to understand that when practicing judo you are fighting at about 75-90% power on every day basis. [/QUOTE]

Thanks for bringing up a good point. Striking is something that most judo players seem to do poorly. Watching Christophe Leninger at two UFC events is an example. A great judo player but all his opponents commented on the weak strikes. However he was not a small person.
Judo players do have the luxury of being able to use much more of their power than players in the striking arts even in sparring. Imagine if one person hit another with 90 percent of their power in every day sparring. A whole lot of fights would be started in the dojo.

#117092 - 05/07/04 03:32 PM Re: Why does Judo get a bad rep?
immrtldragon Offline
Veteran

Of course Judo players who are strictly Judo will be poor punchers. Silva said Yoshida hit harder, possibly hardest of all his opponents. Big compliment, but if you watch the fight, they were still not good punches. They were hard, but not accurate and very wild. You have to train punching to be a good puncher.

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki, Taison 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga