FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 42 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Dobbersky 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
ergees 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#116919 - 10/22/03 12:30 PM Re: IMPORTANT- Grappling Strength
immrtldragon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Just outside Philadelphia, PA
John, couldn't agree more. Leg exercises, I feel, are more important in grappling than anything else (such as upper body). They are both important, but it is scary to see how many people neglect leg curls/extensions and squats. Since concentrating more of my efforts on leg strength and keeping them flexible, my Judo has improved to another level. Sports specific exercises are the way to go, otherwise you run the risk of reversing your progress in said art/sport. The squats and flexibilty, for example, have greatly increased my explosiveness once I get my hips under my opponent...and have helped me get there faster.

#116920 - 05/31/04 02:56 PM Re: IMPORTANT- Grappling Strength
Anonymous
Unregistered

You know people...being strong is not even close to the biggest factor, where would the best fighters be wothout their tecgniques...you people are obviously not in tune with the intricasies of skilled performance and rely on brute strength. Offcourse, strength is an important factor but technique is better...you have to know how to use your strength.

Antonio Rodrigo bet Bob "the beast Sapp" by an armbar....what does this tell you. A man half the weight amd querter of the strength of Bob Sapp could deal with him.

Although this may sound a bit unbilievable I saw this Muay Thia fighter that had 90 wins and nil loses and draw....he was very small and skinny....didn't seem like he could give a lot....but he was extremely fast and tripped the guy up breaking his colar bone

later all

#116921 - 04/28/05 01:22 PM Re: IMPORTANT- Grappling Strength
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi, I practice judo in the UK and I've done it for over 10 years, and although I agree that strength is an important aspect of my judo, I should not need to rely on it if I am that good of an judoka! I prefer to go by the Kyu Shin Do theory of judo, which is that technique and speed will lead me to win and not my strength. I am not a fan of pick-ups, but if I was, is where I would use strength, but that would mean it would be better for me to play Rugby and just enter the competitions. I like the use of combinations, and that is skill, and tactics, without the need of strength. I am not encouraging people not to use strength, as it is what they are comfortable with that matters. I just believe that Judo is what it is because it isn't like other martial arts, because I can beat anyone if I was quick enough and had enough skill.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki, Taison 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga