FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 26 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bartfast, ZapEm, AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc
22906 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 10
AndyLA 5
futsaowingchun 4
cxt 3
ergees 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
The Karate punch
by Dobbersky
08/12/14 05:14 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Dobbersky
08/11/14 05:03 AM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
A post for those who might become martial artists.
by AndyLA
08/06/14 07:25 AM
Forum Stats
22906 Members
36 Forums
35571 Topics
432473 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#116879 - 09/23/03 01:34 PM Promotions in Judo
immrtldragon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Just outside Philadelphia, PA
Most Judo clubs require competing in tournaments in order to be eligible to test for a higher rank...any opinions on if this is a fair/good practice? Many clubs also require that you not only compete, but win. Does anyone think this has positive/negative effects on the attitude of the students and the actual progress they make?

#116880 - 09/23/03 04:33 PM Re: Promotions in Judo
UKfightfreak Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: San Francisco
I think it stops people getting belts they don't deserve.

Not that grades are that important as such, but at least when you see a judo blackbelt - you know that he has gone out and through blood and sweat achieved a combat award through real, alive, full contact matches.

I think its a mind set, in the end Judo has made the transision to sport, you don't give an athelete a gold medal just because he has trained for as long, turned up to all the training sessions, watched his diet like the next athelete who has done the same - but actually won. Do you see what I am getting at.

The winning is the progression - in judo at least.

#116881 - 09/24/03 01:27 PM Re: Promotions in Judo
immrtldragon Offline
Veteran

I agree, it would stop undeserving people from getting the belts. My dilema is that some, including me, do not have the time/money/ability to travel in order to compete, yet are passionate and train hard. Some, like myself, also attend seminars/training camps as often as possible. Is it not unfair to penalize people who train hard and are good, but simply can't attend tournaments? It sounds like I am complaining about my club, but I'm not. They are very competitive, but in 2 years I've only been to 2 tournaments. It's very local to me, so I can accomplish it, and my club understands. Just noticed other people I have met whose clubs are strict about certain requirements (one being competing and winning). I think the belts should not be associated with medals/trophies. If you want a medal: compete...if you want rank promotions: train hard and improve. I also agree belts should not mean a lot, but they do to a lot of people...it's a way to gauge your progress, not your competitive edge and ability to win medals/trophies.

#116882 - 09/24/03 11:31 PM Re: Promotions in Judo
Anonymous
Unregistered

wouldn't it also make sense if for whatever reason you can't compete, have match against whatever belt rank you are going for?
If you beat them, or do realy well doesn't that mean you are ready for the next level?

#116883 - 09/26/03 12:46 PM Re: Promotions in Judo
UKfightfreak Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: San Francisco
I was thinking with the BJA they have grading (yes you still have to compete and win) which you should have at your club from time to time.

As for expense judo is probably the cheapest martial art out there you don't really need any more than the gi and belt and haven't you ever heard of getting a lift with other people from the club?

Obviously I am not sure of your circumstances but if you wanted to compete - you would find a way.

#116884 - 09/26/03 03:59 PM Re: Promotions in Judo
immrtldragon Offline
Veteran

You have a point, if you want to compete you will find a way...but it's still not that easy. You could definitely hitch a ride, but you may still have to stay overnight in a hotel, pay for the competition costs, and eat. For a full-time college student with a part-time job, this is not easy...it COULD be done, but it is not really practical. But as well, that is part of the point: some people don't want to compete...they just want to train, fight, and learn. The question is, should they be a white belt with lots of experience, even if they can ippon the brown belt sitting next to them 9 out of 10 matches? Furthermore, wouldn't it be unfair (to other competitors) if they practiced for three years, remianed a white belt, then decided to compete in a tournament...they would be in the white belt division.

#116885 - 09/27/03 03:02 PM Re: Promotions in Judo
justinc Offline

Loc: jefferson hills pa usa
i dont belive in belts as a form of rank myself, i know what throws, pins, and chockes i am able to do, i dont need specific colored belt around my waist to let myself and others know what my skill level is. i dont compete in judo, i never intended to but my sensei is always trying to push me to compete to help me promote to the next belt, that is where i dont see eye to eye with him. i honestly dont care if i ever move up to the next colored belt, as long as my skill level increases, that is all that matters to me, besides, i randori with all types of skill levels, i think my sensei can tell what i am capable of doing. when i first got into judo i was looking for a martial art for self defense only, i had no idea that judo was such a big martial sport and most people were in it to compete, i decided to stick with it though. i wish we could have class sometimes wearing plain street clothes instead of gi's, if i comes down to having to defend yourself out on the street chances are they wont be wearing a gi for you to grab hold of.

#116886 - 09/27/03 03:43 PM Re: Promotions in Judo
immrtldragon Offline
Veteran

Justin, good point and I agree the ranks don't mean much other than colored cloth. I was just debating the fairness of it to you (hypothetically) and others you may later face if you decide to compete one day. My club is similar with the pressure to compete in some tournaments, but they don't bother with it too much if you tell them you just want to train for fun/self-defense. If you want to try to fight without the gi, try finding people at your club or other grapplers near you. I have a few friends who do BJJ and some who wrestle...sometimes we train w/out the gi. It feels pretty different at first (training w/out the gi), but it is not as difficult to adapt as you may think...you'll still have good footwork and mat-sense.

#116887 - 09/27/03 06:55 PM Re: Promotions in Judo
Geoff Offline

Loc: UK
most competitions are in weight categories anyway, who cares what grade you are, what counts is how many ipons you can get!

#116888 - 09/27/03 08:27 PM Re: Promotions in Judo
justinc Offline

Loc: jefferson hills pa usa
another thing about belt and rank promotions i disagree with is being nailed with a $50 testing fee, i think the $100 i pay a month is enough. i dont know about your school but at my school my sensei added an orange belt, is what i am right now, im in between yellow and green, and he added a blue which is a belt between green and brown. when i took the test i thought i was taking the test for the green, when i was done he handed me an orange belt, for awhile everyone kept asking me why i had an orange belt because the kids have and orange belt in the ranks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki, Taison 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga