FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
LeroyCFischer 1
William_Bent 1
simonajones111 1
futsaowingchun 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#116831 - 09/30/04 09:22 AM Re: Practical Street Judo--PLEASE Contribute
Anonymous
Unregistered

i dont study judo but umm... i think that any throw where u stand up and dont hit the ground would b good on concrete, (eg hip throw, osoto gari)

#116832 - 11/29/04 11:19 AM Re: Practical Street Judo--PLEASE Contribute
Anonymous
Unregistered

Iīve been in a few serious situations and Iīve found judo very effective. In our school there is a guy who is kinda OK, but he pisses of way too easy. Once when he was pissed he attacked me completely without a reason and tried to run over me, taking me down to the ground. I crabbed his right arm into my armpit(donīt know if itīs armpit. Im from Finland if you even know where it is and my english is far from perfect [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]) and his left wrist with my right hand and threw him backwards with sasaetsurikomeashi. I followed him down landing on top of him and letting air out of his lungs. Then I kept him in the ground with a very tight yokoshihogatame and released him only after he had calmed. I think he had never been thrown like that.

#116833 - 11/29/04 11:25 AM Re: Practical Street Judo--PLEASE Contribute
Anonymous
Unregistered

By the way I`m new on this forum and I must say that this is my favourite site(with judo info ofcourse)

#116834 - 11/29/04 06:28 PM Re: Practical Street Judo--PLEASE Contribute
Anonymous
Unregistered

I saw an early UFC fight where this judo guy blocked this wild looping punch and went right into soto makikomi and followed him to the ground; holding onto his striking arm with both of his.
Once he was on the ground he left go with one hand and elbowed the guy until he was unconscious. It was beautiful. I never forgot that and have practiced it several times since.
I don't think uchimata is a bad one either. Since often times you can go right into kesa gatame once you have completed the throw.
Don't forget uranage. You uranage somebody on the pavement... fights over.
Any type of footsweep is good, nobody expects them.
Basically, I don't think there's too many judo throws that aren't practical in the street. It's all situational.
Oh yeah, if I was going to do osoto gari in the street; I would modify it and elbow the guy in the face as I come across.

#116835 - 12/01/04 08:26 PM Re: Practical Street Judo--PLEASE Contribute
Anonymous
Unregistered

it was remco pardue that that nailed the maki-komi in the ufc. i'll never forget it either. it was the only time i saw that guy fight. he later tapped out to marco ruas after being mounted, but before getting pummeled. i learned two lessons from that guy.

1) maki komi rocks
2) LEARN HOW TO PLAY THE GROUND GAME WITH STRIKING RULES!!!!

tony

#116836 - 12/03/04 10:22 AM Re: Practical Street Judo--PLEASE Contribute
Anonymous
Unregistered

Judo is great for Finnland I guess, where you are in clothes all the time,

but try Austria or Hungary, where half-year one is with, half without clothes,

well, in the summer half of a judoka's feeling of security might just as well evaporate,

so one should preferebly know a few tricks without clothes.

#116837 - 12/03/04 10:36 AM Re: Practical Street Judo--PLEASE Contribute
Anonymous
Unregistered

some o'them in topic Alternative judo...

#116838 - 12/03/04 01:28 PM Re: Practical Street Judo--PLEASE Contribute
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gerginekov:
Judo is great for Finnland I guess, where you are in clothes all the time.[/QUOTE]

Hey! we arenīt eskimos [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG](no offence to the eskimos)We do also have summer when you can wear T-shirt and shorts. Well ofcourse itīs naturally easier to throw if you can get a good grip of glothes, but allmost all judo throws are effective without glothes. I do agreed with that you should be well rounded.

#116839 - 12/03/04 03:55 PM Re: Practical Street Judo--PLEASE Contribute
Anonymous
Unregistered

I like to underhook even when my opponent has clothing to grab.
It works well for osoto gari. Because as soon as you step in it lifts him up a little and puts all his weight on the leg your reaping.

#116840 - 12/04/04 02:17 AM Re: Practical Street Judo--PLEASE Contribute
Anonymous
Unregistered

I train mostly in Japanese Jujitsu, ive done some karate and kickboxing as well.

The only time ive used jj on the street I was grabbed outside a pub and tried an O-goshi which didnt work. Then used a technique that I can only describe as an Ushiro-goshi that put him down and knocked the wind out of him.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki, Taison 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga