FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 40 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
charlie 2
futsaowingchun 2
harlan 1
William_Bent 1
simonajones111 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#116790 - 03/05/06 07:20 AM Re: Judo or Jujutsu [Re: Taison]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
Dude, you need to chill.... no one's against you.
You just need to read his post again.... I don't think he's picking on you... maybe something got mis-construed?

You're entitled to your opinion just as much as everyone else. But there's no need for the personal attacks, if someone disagrees with you. I disagree with my wife all the time, and sometimes it's just not worth arguing, really....

#116791 - 03/05/06 10:17 AM Re: Judo or Jujutsu [Re: Taison]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
Quote:

Anyway, he did mentioned that he questions my art, so I took it as the first step to art bashing.

If you'll read what I said, you'll find I said that putting "Kodokan" in front of your Goshin Jitsu name gave the impression that it was the the "self defense techniques of the Kodokan", which isn't the case. You're apparently so fired up and defensive that you view any question as an attack.

Quote:

I give up, not much sense trying to get my viewpoint heard when everyone is against me.

Nobody's "against you"... you seem to be having a conversation going on in your head that has nothing to do with what's being said here.

One of my former students, who quit doing martial arts with me because of a neck injury, still jumps every year with the Royal Thai Marines in their joint military exercises, so your "location" is special to me. He still does Muay Thai training, and is big as a house, so you ought to find out a little history before you start sounding off at people.

Quote:

"who's the 40 year old practitioner"

43 years to be exact, and I've seen most everything going on in martial arts during those years. My training partner is married to a Japanese woman and speaks perfect Japanese, so when he goes back to Japan next time, I'll have him run by the Kodokan and find out the history of your art if he has time. Then you can argue with the 10th Dan masters who live there. I'm sure you have "more information than they do". Unlike you, however, they will be grateful to learn more about the "actual history of the Kodokan and it's martial arts".

#116792 - 03/05/06 05:20 PM Re: Judo or Jujutsu [Re: Taison]
OneInchPunchMaster Offline

Loc: England
Quote:

Quote:

suggest checking the history throughly before launching the hostilities. Just a friendly suggestion...

Wah? Me hostile? HAHA! I think I gotta go practice my English, did it sound as if I was shouting? LoL.

As for Wrist_twister, have it your way. I don't care anymore. If you say Judo is Jujutsu, fine. I stand on my point that Judo IS NOT Jujutsu and there is very little on this earth that will change my view. As for art bashing, you said "You doubt" it or something, that is the beginning of someone who's going to art bash.

OneInchPunchMaster - If you were to be in a situation where you can not escape, judo throws would be more wise than to go to the ground, right? Judo throws are not hard to do, for if it was why would police officers over the world learn them? Another thing, you said about standup self-defense BJJ. Well, don't you think Judo have the same thing? Judo-ka's are quite able to do their jobs on their feet, especially in a clinch.

You guys have fun.

-Taison out

Cannot escape from what? Like i said, BJJ is not all ground. And i wouldnt go to the ground if i couldnt "escape" from whatever your trying to say.Also, i never said Judo had no self defence techniques, Judo is a great martial art that can prove its effectiveness at many times....Please be more clear on what type of situation you want me to "escape" from.

Edited by OneInchPunchMaster (03/05/06 05:22 PM)

#116793 - 03/13/06 09:53 AM Re: Judo or Jujutsu [Re: wristtwister]
Dobbersky Offline
Peace Works!!!!
Enthusiast

Loc: Manchester United Kingdom
I've just taken up Atemi Jujitsu, but there is a Judo Club which run beginners on a different Day, would I be able to train in both without them 'blending' and unsure of which technique is 'legal' in each. I also train in Ashihara Karate and Krav Maga (these have throwing techniques and the latter involves groundwork ) - Mainly cause I'm following Mushashi's teaching in the 'Book of Five Rings'.

Ken

#116794 - 03/13/06 03:32 PM Re: Judo or Jujutsu [Re: Dobbersky]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

I'm following Mushashi's teaching in the 'Book of Five Rings'.

Dobbersky,
How so? In what way are you implementing his approach?

#116795 - 03/13/06 09:24 PM Re: Judo or Jujutsu [Re: Dobbersky]
wristtwister Offline

I think you might have a little trouble training in atemi jujitsu and judo at the same time. The AJ techniques are looking to break arms and legs with their techniques, while judo is looking for a more refined approach.

I used to converse with an AJ practitioner in England that was always wanting to know how to break this or that, and the best angle to strike something to totally disable someone. From talking to him over an extended period of time, I got the idea that he thought ukes were disposable.

Good luck in your efforts. I hope you don't turn up injured.

#116796 - 03/21/06 08:12 AM Re: Judo or Jujutsu [Re: oldman]
Dobbersky Offline
Peace Works!!!!
Enthusiast

Mushashi talks about mastering all arts not to have one 'master', except yourself, as you may be fluent in one style but each style has it own interpretation of the same teaching. take Ashihara Karate, my Kancho took what he new from Kyokoshinkai, he took from varous other styles blended and adapted it to what the system I learn today, there are no formal classical kata but various kata devised by Kancho ashihara himself. This is the same as Bruce Lee, he did the same, so did the founder of Judo, and the founder of Aikido.
Going back to the question, from Mushashi's teaching which as those who have read his book more than several times will get a different view each time. he states that each school fights differently he mentions short swords and long swords schools but if we take the swords and make them our hands and feet this can be adapted, this is why I practice Karate, Krav Maga which seems to be a 'Bolt on' to Ashihara for strikes, and Atemi Jujitsu and soon to be Judo for throws and groundwork. I feel I get an alround effect on this and I am taking all parts of combat. Weapons only comes in at higher grades so I will concentrate on what I need to know now for the moment

Ken

#116797 - 03/21/06 08:56 AM Re: Judo or Jujutsu [Re: wristtwister]
Dobbersky Offline
Peace Works!!!!
Enthusiast

I appreciate your honesty, my main reason for training in judo and Atemi Jujitsu is that there is only one class a week and I know this is not enough for me to 'master' either art. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe funachoshi stated 'It takes 1,000 days to become adequate (Shodan) and 10,000 days to become proficient (Judan)'
Please don't misunderstand me, I treat each art I train in as important as the next. I give each equal loyalty, as I understand that we owe it to our Founder Kancho's, all them years ago when martial arts was a matter of Life and Death synopsis.

Ken

#116798 - 03/21/06 12:24 PM Re: Judo or Jujutsu [Re: Dobbersky]
wristtwister Offline

It is difficult to do technique well when you're just learning something, and to have two sets of instructions make it more difficult. I certainly cross train in karate, judo, jujitsu, and aikido, but I have an established base to work from and am not in a "newbie" mode on it. I'm not going to break somebody's arm by mistake from not having developed the control that I might need to stop a technique. That is not the case with most "new learners".

The skills sets you learn from anything will help you, but you have to pick something as a "base art" and develop from it. I started in judo and karate, because they had "differing skills" that were used in normal practice. As I developed in both of them, I was able to use them as "crossover" skills, such as blocking a punch and then moving into a throw, so it was an orderly transition.

What you're proposing is like trying to do two different styles of the same thing at the same time. It's not impossible to learn, but it is going to make it difficult to gain confidence in your skills and to move forward. I'd go to a few classes of each and see which one I favored, then pick one and spend my time training there.

When I started training, my sensei taught me one technique a week, and I spent the next week training (40 hours worth) on that one technique. Needless to say, I had good basics to work from, and it has been easy for me to add to my techniques because of that solid base of foundational techniques.

Good luck, which ever way you choose to go. But I would recommend that you pick one art and learn it well.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki, Taison 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga