FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 45 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 14
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 3
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Throwing
by
04/23/05 10:58 PM
Recent Posts
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/29/14 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432455 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#116760 - 06/08/03 10:38 AM Judo or Jujutsu
dawgzog Offline

What is the difference between jujutsu and judo? Arent they about the same? Which is more deadlier and how?

#116761 - 06/15/03 08:41 AM Re: Judo or Jujutsu
kempo_jujitsu Offline
Veteran

Loc: illinois, usa
you must grasp the concepts of JUTSU and DO.
JUTSU (means art, skill or science) hence jujutsu is the gentle art, or science of softness (not a kindness or heart, but of yeilding to the opponents force, redirecting it etc.)
DO means way or path, as in chinese taoism (tao is same as do) so judo is the gentle way...these arts tend to concentrate more on asthetics (looks), competition sports and tournaments, moral character, and generally making you a better person. they concentrate on the "path", not just the technical aspects. but also remember within jujutsu is the warrior code of bushiDO (emphasize the do aspect) so it could be said that jujutsu practitioners (samurai) seperated the two..juJUTSU for fighting, and bushiDO for the other aspects mentioned above. this is applicable to many arts..samurai swordsmanship for instance..you have kenJUTSU which became kenDO...iaiJUTSU which became iaiDO. aikiJUTSU which became aikiDO. karate JUTSU which became karate DO..etc. etc. jutsu arts buJUTSU and DO arts are buDO..bu means martial or military. (martial science or art/ and martial "way" respectively) jutsu arts are older real combat methods, and do aspects are derived from them for other "higher" purposes. but thats not to say do arts are not effective.
which is deadlier, id have to say jujutsu because jigoro kano purposely removed many of the lethal techniques of jujutsu so judo could be taught to school children and the general public and because judo is a grappling art..throws, locks chokes, and holds. jujutsu is a complete system, containg all of the above plus atemi waza and kyusho jutsu, striking vital areas, and pressure points. also katsu (kappo) or resuscination techniques are part of both but not taught much nowadays
i hope this helps!!

#116762 - 08/30/03 12:09 PM Re: Judo or Jujutsu
gus Offline

Loc: dixon calif.usa
when dr kano promoted kodokan judo.he made a judo gi different from others to prevent injuries (mat burns)elimanated dangerous waza,(saved them in kata)came up with the consept of kusushi.even devised a new form of ukemi.kick ,blows elimanated.ateme is still practiced in kata.mutual welfare and benefit.maximum results with mimnimum effort.dr Kano's theory

#116763 - 08/30/03 06:09 PM Re: Judo or Jujutsu
immrtldragon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Just outside Philadelphia, PA
If you are talking about Japanese Jujutsu it is what was described above...but if you are talking about Brazilian Jujutsu it is something different. I never got very involved with BJJ but it seems to be takedowns and matwork. As for Japanese Jujustsu and Judo the above descriptions are accurate to my knowledge: however, and with the risk of sounding like JKogas, traditional Japanese Jujutsu is usually practiced with compliant opponents, whereas Judo is alive (as Kogas would put it). Judo may have had some elements removed to make it safe to practice, but it is certainly an effective art (for sport or actual fighting). A judoka knows how to fall and practises on a mat, if you throw a typical person in a real situation on a hard surface, at the least you will knock the wind out of them and have them on the ground. I am definitely not saying that all Japanese Jujutsu students practice cooperatively, but all Judo schools practice with resistance. Also, I am not knocking any style, I just really love Judo and think it is one of the best to train in (for sport or self-defense).

#116764 - 08/30/03 10:31 PM Re: Judo or Jujutsu
Anonymous
Unregistered

BJJ has some standing techniques, mostly concerned with getting opponent on ground and fighting from there.
BJJ is actualy from judo, pre wwII judo-different animal than todays judo(ie. grapevining still included)
Changed to jujitsu because of attitude.

#116765 - 09/01/03 03:59 AM Re: Judo or Jujutsu
kempo_jujitsu Offline
Veteran

i have heard that bjj is called jujutsu because maeda was banished from the kodokan by jigoro kano, so what he taught to gracie..he called jujutsu even though technically it was judo.
yeah, jujutsu-ka train with "semi cooperative" opponents...that way there are no broken bones, separated joints, or dead students in the dojo. in judo you can go all out because alot of those techniques are simply not there. by semi cooperative i mean if you try to wrench me down with a lock..i am not going to fight it...but i am not going to just fall over for you either.
i like both judo and jujutsu. most jujutsu schools (not bjj) dont teach enough groundfighting though, some do but not many that ive seen...thats where judo(or bjj, sambo etc) comes in.

#116766 - 09/01/03 01:30 PM Re: Judo or Jujutsu
immrtldragon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Just outside Philadelphia, PA
Kempo, that info you posted about Maeda was really interesting. Do you know of any sites that I could read more about that...I never knew BJJ may have had such strong roots to Judo; I always assumed it was a direct decendant of Jujutsu.

#116767 - 09/01/03 03:25 PM Re: Judo or Jujutsu
kempo_jujitsu Offline
Veteran

immortal...i dont even remember where i heard about that. i also heard that you can go back and check, and see no record of maeda at the kodokan because they removed his name.
interestingly...the gracies will tell you it is jujutsu not judo, because judo is a sport. i guess the way i see it gracie jujutsu is "old school" judo(probably wrong) but....the history of judo, originally it was NOT a sport, it was to preserve traditional jujutsu in a safer environment to train in....its moved quite far from these roots now days though. infact ive seen pictures of kano with some of the sensei of the kodokan many of which never trained with kano personally in "judo"...but actually taught traditional jujutsu ryuha, and even weapons such as jo jutsu.
its kind of like that whole "pre war vs. modern aikido" thing...there is modern judo, and there is (arguably) traditional judo. which is said to be preserved best by the koreans actually in their version called yudo, which is all about combat not tournaments, and keeping with the actual things which kano taught.
at one point kano wrote a book (dont remember title) and in it contained kyusho jutsu (pressure points) and kappo jutsu (healing) the book has been republished but with this information left out (for some odd reason). http://judo1.net/ju01002.htm

#116768 - 09/01/03 05:14 PM Re: Judo or Jujutsu
Geoff Offline

Loc: UK
kappo is very dodgy, emergency aid and modern sport therapy is a far better approach for any aspiring judoka. At least you won't have a negligence lawsuit against you if you put someone in the recovery position!

#116769 - 09/01/03 07:31 PM Re: Judo or Jujutsu
Anonymous
Unregistered

It was Maeda who brought Jiu-Jitsu to Brazil. As a member of the Kodokan, Maeda went to America with his kohai Satake, etc. as Judo ambassadors. He was said to have fought more than 100 fights and in Spanish-speaking countries in Latin America, he was respected as Count Koma (Conde Koma).
Maeda was born in Aomori Prefecture in 1878. When he was a boy, he learned Tenshin (Tenshin Shin'yo) Jiu-Jitsu. He moved to Tokyo when he was about 18 and went to Tokyo Senmon School. He began practicing Judo and a record of him entering the Kodokan is dated 1897. He was very persistant and never gave up on anything. He was naturaly talented in judo and rose through the ranks quickly to establish himself as the most promising young judoka in the Kodokan. Maeda was a small man at 164 cm, 70 kilo.
Maeda would travel also throughout Latin America to fight. In 1915, he ended up in Brazil in a city called Belem. He considered this place to be ideal and settled in Belem which would become his home. He engaged in challenge matches and became famous throughout the region. He also returned to Cuba, Mexico, and the U.S. when necessarily. Maeda was to continue his role as a judo instructor. He taught San Paulo policemen, army college cadets, as well as ordinary citizens. Of course, one of them was a teenage boy by the name of Carlos Gracie, who would perhaps become his most notable student, Carlos Gracie.
Maeda is rumoured to have fought over 2,000 matches in his career; many unrecorded. He traveled throughout Latin America and Europe, taking on all comers. He became a legend in the fighting world and his name is still well known amongst Japanese settlements in the Americas. He only lost two matches in his fighting career. One in the "catch-as-catch-can" world championships held in London. In this tournament, Maeda entered in both the middleweight and heavyweight divisions. He advanced to the semi-finals in the finals in two weight classes. In matches where judo gis were worn, however, Maeda was undefeated-from biography of Maeda
Links and more info can be found at gracie.com

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki, Taison 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga