FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 61 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
cxt 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#116355 - 04/19/05 12:38 AM Rake weapon?
Anonymous
Unregistered

In my dojo there are a set of weapons on display near the front door, with various swords, spears, nunchaku etc. One of these weapons is very strange, and i have no idea of it's name or where it comes from. It looks like a very beefy garden rake, believe it or not.

Ive had a hard time understanding how this could be an effective weapon? Or even a training one?

I will try and find a picture of it. If anyone could tell me anything about 'it', id be most appreciative, thank you!.

Cheers.

EDIT: Before anybody gets angry, I know this should be in the weapons forum.However it appears that noone really goes there, and i figured most of you sword folk would be knowledgable enough to answer my query anyway.

[This message has been edited by Moby Joe (edited 04-19-2005).]

#116356 - 04/19/05 01:43 AM Re: Rake weapon?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm not sure the type of school you train at but odds are that it's really just a rake. Make no mistake, I've seen people use those with hilarious effectiveness. Also, (if I may assume) kung-fu and disciplines of alike origins tend to have a ridiculous variety of weapons like that. There are such weapons as battle spades and whatnot. Don't under estimate the ability of looking at something and thinking 'hey, I could fight with this' and then teaching others how to do it. Happens all the time. Maybe if I had more details though I could provide you with the name.

--Peace Is Tangible--

#116357 - 04/19/05 06:01 AM Re: Rake weapon?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The old style jutte would look like a big rake, I gather. That might well be it. Not a rake at all, as far as I know, just a weapon. No idea how it would be used, either, but if it's on display, maybe sensei knows.

#116358 - 04/19/05 10:00 AM Re: Rake weapon?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is it a polearm weapon, or a close combat weapon?

If it is a polearm weapon, then it is a Japanese weapon called a "Kumade" (bear hand) and was used by naval personnel for boarding other ships. It was used as a grapple for climbing up the hull of a ship, as well as a weapon for pulling combatants off of the deck.
http://www.tctv.ne.jp/members/hirakawa/ichiryo/tools/buki03.jpg

On top you have a Sasumata, then a Kumade, a Sodegarami, and then a Yari.

#116359 - 04/19/05 09:08 PM Re: Rake weapon?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Gunyo,

I train in shaolin kung fu. If that is a japanese weapon, what is it doing in a chinese martial art? The kumade does bear a passing resembalance,though. However, the kumade has much more defined hooks on it, making it a much more obvious choice for a weapon.

And splice, i have no idea what Jutte your talking about. As far as my knowledge goes, the jutte was used by feudal japanese 'police' and resemble a modern day nightstick more than anything.
http://www.e-budokai.com/hibuki/jutte.htm

Whatever the case, i will ask sifu tonight and get my answer.

#116360 - 04/19/05 11:08 PM Re: Rake weapon?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Moby Joe:
Gunyo,

I train in shaolin kung fu. If that is a japanese weapon, what is it doing in a chinese martial art? The kumade does bear a passing resembalance,though. However, the kumade has much more defined hooks on it, making it a much more obvious choice for a weapon.

And splice, i have no idea what Jutte your talking about. As far as my knowledge goes, the jutte was used by feudal japanese 'police' and resemble a modern day nightstick more than anything.
http://www.e-budokai.com/hibuki/jutte.htm

Whatever the case, i will ask sifu tonight and get my answer.
[/QUOTE]

The line between Chinese weapons and Japanese weapons sometimes blurs. This is due to a large ammount of interaction between the nations prior to the Ming. The Katana (for instance) was a refinement of a form of Dao that had been developed in China and popularized in Korea. Now this was AGES ago and the Japanese cleaned up the design quite a bit and improved on the metallurgy. (Meanwhile Chinese Metallurgy slipped, some Chinese governments discouraged the mass production of high-quality sidearms.) In recent years change in Chinese law has lead to a SIGNIFICANT improvement in metallurgy however for sabres I still prefer the Katana to the Dao. For straight swords though the Jian trumps all.

#116361 - 04/20/05 04:51 AM Re: Rake weapon?
Zeal Offline

I think Splice means a certain type of jutte used in an earlier period. Imai Masayuki Soke theorised that Miyamoto Musashi's father, Munisai used a jutte with ten prongs set out horizontally. Imagine a coat hanger with prongs all the way along its longest edge.

Splice, I am coming over to Canada this year, so maybe I will see you there.

#116362 - 04/20/05 05:35 AM Re: Rake weapon?
Anonymous
Unregistered

My source for the jitte I was talking about is probably the same as Zeal's. The jitte is talked about in both Imai soke's book and Kenji Tokitsu's Musashi: His life and writings. Here is a picture from Kenji Tokitsu's book:

[IMG]http://www.d-refuge.net/images/jitte.jpg[/IMG]

Since this a Chinese Arts dojo, I would bet that's not it however [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Zeal, I might see you, I might not. A few financial difficulties arose, but I'm doing my best to be there this year as always. It's worth it.

#116363 - 04/20/05 07:58 AM Re: Rake weapon?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Shaolin Kung Fu uses a lot of improvised weapons. It could be just a rake.

Moderator:  Charles Mahan, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga