FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 44 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
charlie 2
futsaowingchun 2
harlan 1
William_Bent 1
simonajones111 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#115237 - 03/01/05 02:27 PM Kawakami Gensai
Anonymous
Unregistered

The best man of swords or not. He was 1 of 4 hitokiri...a manslayer of the edo period.

#115238 - 03/01/05 02:40 PM Re: Kawakami Gensai
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: USA
Uh, Mushasi survived 60 or so duels plus at least one MAJOR pitched battle--think thosuands of guys fighting all over the place

Plus, "manslayer" was never really used outside Japanese anime.

Pretty sure that many other excellent swordsmen exsisted before and after Gensai.

Whom was the "best?" not sure that could ever be answered.

"The best" depending on whom you ask, and is argued by several teachers of note, is not the guy that killed the most people, but the man whom lived the best life.

The founder of the Katori ryu, maintained that "best" in a manner of speaking was the guy who lived long enough to pass his style on to history.

Several Yagyus maintained that the "best" was the guy that could accomplish his goals WITHOUT killing--although when pressed they were very good killers indeed.

Not sure what effective difference it makes today about the killing skills of a bunch of guys who died hundrads of years ago.

Why does it matter?

#115239 - 03/01/05 06:17 PM Re: Kawakami Gensai
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am Just asking for your thoughts I just think the batousi is the best.

#115240 - 03/01/05 11:04 PM Re: Kawakami Gensai
Anonymous
Unregistered

gensai is the most skilled swordsman. he created 5 new styles and musashi is nothing gensai survived the Boshin war. he and the other three hitokiris single handedly cut down 1000 shinsengumi and gensai took off the shoguns head personally

#115241 - 03/02/05 08:54 AM Re: Kawakami Gensai
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Thought about responding, then thought better of it.

[This message has been edited by cxt (edited 03-02-2005).]

#115242 - 03/02/05 10:23 AM Re: Kawakami Gensai
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by battousaisupreme:
gensai is the most skilled swordsman. he created 5 new styles and musashi is nothing gensai survived the Boshin war. he and the other three hitokiris single handedly cut down 1000 shinsengumi and gensai took off the shoguns head personally[/QUOTE]

I like seeing that people study stuff before opening there mouths your Kool ulike others on this site!!!

#115243 - 03/02/05 10:52 AM Re: Kawakami Gensai
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes, you are so learned, you two *snicker*.

What are your sources for your information? From what I know, only the assassination of Sakuma Shouzan was documented, and while it's believed that he did others, we have no records.

He killed 1000 shinsengumi? Where did you see that? With the 3 other Hitokiri? I haven't heard of them being involved with the Shinsen gumi, I see no reference to that in the japanese wikipedia. Do you know who the other 3 Hitokiri are?

He created 5 styles? Again, where did you read that? What styles?

I've seen absolutely nothing about him cutting off the shogun's head. He did, however, get executed.

You certainly seem to know a hell of a lot that's not common knowledge, and you assert those facts quite forcefully. However, you may find that you won't be believed unless you name your sources. And no, rurouni kenshin and related stuff don't count as historical sources.

Trunks, the fact that this guy agrees with you doesn't mean he knows much. If you think only people who agree with you are cool, you'll surround yourself with yes-men and never learn anything, because you're not willing to consider you might be wrong. The "others" on this site have dozens of years of experience in the Japanese Sword Arts - you discard their opinions much too lightly, and seem to have a disproportionate belief in your "facts".

#115244 - 03/02/05 11:11 AM Re: Kawakami Gensai
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by splice:
Yes, you are so learned, you two *snicker*.

What are your sources for your information? From what I know, only the assassination of Sakuma Shouzan was documented, and while it's believed that he did others, we have no records.

He killed 1000 shinsengumi? Where did you see that? With the 3 other Hitokiri? I haven't heard of them being involved with the Shinsen gumi, I see no reference to that in the japanese wikipedia. Do you know who the other 3 Hitokiri are?

He created 5 styles? Again, where did you read that? What styles?

I've seen absolutely nothing about him cutting off the shogun's head. He did, however, get executed.

You certainly seem to know a hell of a lot that's not common knowledge, and you assert those facts quite forcefully. However, you may find that you won't be believed unless you name your sources. And no, rurouni kenshin and related stuff don't count as historical sources.

Trunks, the fact that this guy agrees with you doesn't mean he knows much. If you think only people who agree with you are cool, you'll surround yourself with yes-men and never learn anything, because you're not willing to consider you might be wrong. The "others" on this site have dozens of years of experience in the Japanese Sword Arts - you discard their opinions much too lightly, and seem to have a disproportionate belief in your "facts".
[/QUOTE]

If you type in his name on google.com then you should have all the info right there.

And I am not afraid of being wrong i am most of the time. But I am not with this guy. I have study the edo period and him over and over again. I don't care if people agree with me or hate me for what I say and do. If people want to hate they will just help bring what they dispise most. My knowing of the japan histoy is very big though am am from the NH US I love there history and the stuff that happend around there times like the killings of the 1000 shinsengumi with the 4 hitokiri's of the edo time.

#115245 - 03/02/05 12:39 PM Re: Kawakami Gensai
Anonymous
Unregistered

Google is no historical record. Either lay out clearly where you learned your "facts", or else no one will take you seriously, except fanboys with the same opinion as yours.

Again, tell me where you have read of "the killings of the 1000 shinsengumi with the 4 hitokiri's of the edo time". When did it happen? Where?

If your "knowing of the japanese history is very big", you surely have a number of references. Google is no provider of divine knowledge, it's a search engine. You can find whatever you want to support any kind of opinion there. Try again.

#115246 - 03/02/05 12:45 PM Re: Kawakami Gensai
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Trunk

No, I am quite sure that you are not "afraid of being wrong"

You have proven that beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Charles Mahan, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga