FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
TaekwonDoFan 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
Yesterday at 11:35 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432450 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#114610 - 03/04/05 10:16 PM Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Charles Mahan:
Ok fine. A friend of mine was a marine. Pretty sure he could gun you down from a good 1500 meter range(that's 15 football fields away). He was also fond of reminding me that there isn't anything on the average city block(including engine blocks) that could stop a .50 cal round.

You're dreaming dude. A competent person with a gun is gonna ruin your day from well outside your range.
[/QUOTE]

The outcome could also be dependant on how far you are from the gunman and how fast you are at drawing. There are a lot of different factors that could determine the end result of a fight between a gunman and a swordsman.

I read about and hear these type of arguments all of the time. Muay Thai versus boxing, Krav Maga versus Karate, Iaijutsu versus Kenjutsu, Ninjutsu versus Kenjutsu, Jujutsu versus Brazilian Jujutsu, kickboxing versus Tae Kwon Do/Tang Soo Do/Hapkido, full contact versus point-sparring (the only one that I take a side on based on first hand experience involving myself and other fighters from my gym), koryu versus anything created in the last fifty years. I've heard it all, and each and every last one of those arguments is moot until you find enough practitioners of each art that are willing to help you conduct an experiment.

Until someone decides to conduct an experiment pitting 400 gunmen versus 400 swordsmen in different scenarios, with different types of guns, different sword styles, and different skill levels no one can make an accurate claim stating which side would win in a life or death confrontation.

[This message has been edited by kenjutsu n00b (edited 03-04-2005).]

#114611 - 03/05/05 08:15 AM Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by shadowdragon:
As to earlier comments. I'm just tired of everything being assumed as a samurai-sword. I personally have no need for that. I started wearing my main katana in my front yard but that's as far as I'll push it at the moment. I don't know if it's illegal or not.[/QUOTE]

I once heard of a law that says that if the katana is in the saya it is considered concealed.

#114612 - 03/05/05 11:09 AM Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kenjutsu n00b:
There are a lot of different factors that could determine the end result of a fight between a gunman and a swordsman.[/QUOTE]

Sure...say if the gunman was asleep.

I read about and hear these type of arguments all of the time. Muay Thai versus boxing, Krav Maga versus Karate, Iaijutsu versus Kenjutsu, Ninjutsu versus Kenjutsu, Jujutsu versus Brazilian Jujutsu, kickboxing versus Tae Kwon Do/Tang Soo Do/Hapkido, full contact versus point-sparring (the only one that I take a side on based on first hand experience involving myself and other fighters from my gym)[/QUOTE]

You're talking apples to apples here. But a sword vs a gun is not apples to apples. It's a hand held weapon vs. a missile. Huge difference. Missiles advanced through history and swords did not because the sword guys realized that was a confrontation that was not in their favor.

Until someone decides to conduct an experiment pitting 400 gunmen versus 400 swordsmen in different scenarios, with different types of guns, different sword styles, and different skill levels no one can make an accurate claim stating which side would win in a life or death confrontation.[/QUOTE]

Okay. Sign me up for the gun side. I'll play. Actually, CM hit it right on the head. The S. Pacific was full of "experiments" of just that nature.

Seriously. There is a reason swords are no longer a serious threat in modern day warfare. They're simply too limited in their ability. Do you really think any of the ancient arts would have retreated into history if they weren't forced to by ever improving weapons and styles of combat? I love the sword but let's keep in perspective what its abilities are and are not.

#114613 - 03/05/05 12:17 PM Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gemini:

Okay. Sign me up for the gun side. I'll play. Actually, CM hit it right on the head. The S. Pacific was full of "experiments" of just that nature.

Seriously. There is a reason swords are no longer a serious threat in modern day warfare. They're simply too limited in their ability. Do you really think any of the ancient arts would have retreated into history if they weren't forced to by ever improving weapons and styles of combat? I love the sword but let's keep in perspective what its abilities are and are not.

[/QUOTE]

The reason guns and other related weapons were created were to be able to kill as many people as possible in the shortest amount of time. The fact that you are a gunman makes your opinion biased. It is almost a given you were gonna say that a gunman would win.

You also completely missed the point I made in my last post. What I was trying to say was that we could both go on forever arguing over who would win, all the while giving good points and going no where.

In defense of swordsmen is that a person may have a gun an trained with it, but may not have the mindset to actually kill with it. Or, maybe the swordsman is close enough to perform a quick draw and chop off the gunmans arm before he can shoot. Or, the gunman holstered the gun behind them in their pants, and the extra time to draw their gun is all the swordsman needed to cut him in half. Do you see how this argument could go on and on?

My experiment idea was just a way to kill the argument and shut both sides up, regardless of weapon, ryu, style, or training methods.

#114614 - 03/05/05 01:38 PM Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject
Anonymous
Unregistered

Such a lovely idea for a thread - such a brutal, quick ending.

- Op. Skinny Ninja

#114615 - 03/05/05 06:30 PM Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject
Anonymous
Unregistered

The fact that you are a gunman makes your opinion biased. It is almost a given you were gonna say that a gunman would win.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I take 2 sword arts, HDGD and Kendo. It's because I have experience with both types of weapons that makes my opinion biased.

You also completely missed the point I made in my last post.[/QUOTE]

No. I completely understood what your point was, I just don't agree with it.

My experiment idea was just a way to kill the argument and shut both sides up
[/QUOTE]

I'll buy that. I'm done.

#114616 - 03/09/05 04:55 AM Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject
Anonymous
Unregistered

konichiwa minasan... can anyone please post a sakabatou pics... i'm having troble finding them on the net... some of the images are too small... is there a pic that looks like kenshin's sakabatou... thanks in advance!!!...

#114617 - 03/09/05 04:08 PM Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would suggest that you simply do a search on Google. You do know that the sword is fictional, and that you should in no way ever consider buying a weapon from a company that would forge a foolish weapon like that, right? Good.

#114618 - 03/09/05 08:19 PM Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Denton, Tx, USA
Contrary to some of the rhetoric, sakabatou replicas are not entirely without value for some folks. They make just as much sense as purchasing a lightsaber replica. They are good for memorobilia collectors and costumes. Useless of course as training weapons.

#114619 - 03/10/05 02:37 AM Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yup! i know that the sakabatou never existed and was only made for the anime. im just a stupid little boy who loves sword... sorry mr.mahan... ^_^x

[This message has been edited by HiToKiRi_08 (edited 03-10-2005).]

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Charles Mahan, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga