FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Troy7785, wakita, swisztony, Tonybb, shelly1993
22920 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Matakiant 3
AndyLA 3
Marcus Charles 1
Victor Smith 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Eugue Ryu
by
03/27/07 12:06 AM
Recent Posts
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 12:10 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Victor Smith
09/28/14 07:11 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
Forum Stats
22920 Members
36 Forums
35579 Topics
432500 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#114104 - 02/17/05 01:03 PM Re: Teaching Yourself
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Denton, Tx, USA
No, if you got into the theoretical fight with a trained swordsman you will not walk away. You will be carried away in a body bag.

Of course, it's all theoretical since nobody fights for real anymore. But why do it if you aren't gonna do it for real? Why play around? Real training is available for most who are dedicated enough to find instruction. If you really don't care about doing it for real, what do you care what anyone thinks?

#114105 - 02/18/05 10:12 PM Re: Teaching Yourself
Anonymous
Unregistered

a practiced swordsman can easily win, but also in the same fact a kid with a sword could kill that same swordsman with a lucky hit or natural talent. it just happens. ha ha. but im sure that the person that started this topic didnt intend for it to become a free for all argument, but a serious discussion on what CAN be learned without a teacher. the disrespect show by people turning it into another crap fight is an indication of how bad their own control is. and remember, in swordsmanship control is EVERYTHING. so try to stick to the topic, lmao

#114106 - 02/27/05 12:53 AM Re: Teaching Yourself
Anonymous
Unregistered

i agree you can learn some things from books
and using bokkens isn't whacking sticks.it it painfull and requires consentration and skill

#114107 - 03/07/05 10:02 AM Re: Teaching Yourself
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by alevshogun:
actualy I am not playing with anything. And you can lean a bunch of things like parts of the sword, how to wear your hakama, how to prepare for practice ect ect. I don't know but Ithink this all has to do with the sword and you do not need a teacher to learn this.[/QUOTE]

Truth be told, despite what you may have been told, you don't need a Hakama, or any other garb to make" you more valid as a swordsman. This may sound heritical, but if I were you, I would forget the fancy grb and focus solely on perfecting your timing and rythm and cutting technique. If your enemy is really focusing so much on your feet, he'll be easy to kill, and if not, then whats the point realy. If your opponent has any skill at all, he is going to be able to sense what you will do, if his Zanshin is at all decent. And, if you are just teaching yourself and working with someone else who is teaching you, nd you are looking at things like each others feet to tell you something, then you realy are the blind leading the blind, thats why there are teachers, to light the way so you can actually see where you are going. Put your pride aside, and find yourself a teacher, or serious injuryville is just around the corner.

#114108 - 03/07/05 10:08 AM Re: Teaching Yourself
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Denton, Tx, USA
And what precisely do you teach again?

Don't be too quick to dismiss that "fancy garb". A katana will not sit properly in the obi if you are a) not wearing one, and b) not wearing a hakama. The hakama, obi and keiko gi are very much a part of proper practice for the JSAs. If you aren't doing iai you might be able to get by without an obi.

#114109 - 03/07/05 10:08 AM Re: Teaching Yourself
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by alevshogun:
I see were you are coming from it just seems that everyone on this forum has something bad to say about reading books or watching videos. Were did they start. Im sure not eveyone that studies the sword just started out going to a teacher. They are not that easy to find. I am going to sit in on my first class tonight. I found a dojo nearme but it took a couple of weeks . Thanks for the input[/QUOTE]

Since the Ichi Ryu actually was my first school of swordsmanship, I think I can speak a little more definitively about the hitory. First off, Musashi did indeed teach himself, this is true, but alos yes, he did grow up around sword play, and through osmosis picked up quite a bit just from that. That he was superbly talented is also quite evident. However, I would have to say that, simply because he lived in a different time, I do not know that it is fair to say that teaching oneself is impossible. I would certainly not recommend it, but truth be told, what one man can do, another can do, or is this not so. I suppose it al has to do with how badly you want it.
I see the Book of five rings being quoted far to often for my opinion, since much of what is in it is only discernable to someone who has been a student in that school and been initiated into it. There are many other school, why not look into the Kage school for short, it was the school of the Tokugawa Shogunate for many many years, and was considered the best school in Japan for quite a while. Do not limit yourself to few styles, Musashis manual is good reading, but there were other swordsman, othe r texts, and if you really want to learn his Ryu, even if your an advanced student in another, it is hubris to think you can learn it from a bok, you need to find nother teacher, even if your ego scoffs at it, and learn it from him, not a bok. Just because you have studied one style of Japanese swordwork extensively, is it not simply arrogance to think that you can yourself learn his style by simply reading his book. In a way, arent those who do this also teaching themselves? Think on this.

#114110 - 03/07/05 10:14 AM Re: Teaching Yourself
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jcrumpton:
self teaching certainly is not the best way to go about it. and in some cases, accomplishes absolutely nothing. But in the end, we're all doing this for the journey, not the destination. If we just wanted to be the best killers, we are certainly all going about it the wrong way.[/QUOTE]

I would have to agree, I think we are al mising the point here. It is about creating life now, not taking it. And, while we learn to do that by learning to take life efficiently, life is really all about paradoxes and opposites working in harmony. The truth is, you were considered a master in Japan by many ryus if you had overcome your fear of death. Even if you had never picked up a sword, if you had overcome that fear, well, what more could learning the arts of the Bugeishi do for you, since that is their Ultimate goal to begin with. He is indeed right, it is not the destination but the journey. If we ever actually got there, what more would there be to do, after all

#114111 - 03/07/05 10:20 AM Re: Teaching Yourself
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Charles Mahan:
And what precisely do you teach again?

Don't be too quick to dismiss that "fancy garb". A katana will not sit properly in the obi if you are a) not wearing one, and b) not wearing a hakama. The hakama, obi and keiko gi are very much a part of proper practice for the JSAs. If you aren't doing iai you might be able to get by without an obi.
[/QUOTE]

I'm not quick to dismiss it, but I dismiss it anyway, but that is just my opinion, o which mine is no more valid then your's, unless you wish it to be [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

#114112 - 03/07/05 10:26 AM Re: Teaching Yourself
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: USA
Sword 99

Which "Ichi ryu?" do you mean?????

You know, I am starting to get a strong wiff of "weseal" here.

Seems you have plenty of time to post--but NO time to answer direct questions.

#114113 - 03/07/05 10:31 AM Re: Teaching Yourself
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cxt:

Sword 99

Which "Ichi ryu?" do you mean?????

You know, I am starting to get a strong wiff of "weseal" here.

Seems you have plenty of time to post--but NO time to answer direct questions.

[/QUOTE]

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Charles Mahan, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga