FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 15 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AndyLA 5
Dobbersky 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 3
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 03:51 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35573 Topics
432484 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#114021 - 01/04/05 01:04 PM Re: Questions on Foil and Sabre Fencing
Anonymous
Unregistered

Correct, the other members of the club have almost no experience. There are two more experienced people who can defend the thrusts, but they were not included in my count because they're not active. Neither are members, nor have they shown up more than once.

The smallsword and rapier are closely related. The smallsword is lighter and slightly shorter, and was used as the basic weapon of the French schools. The rapier was used as the basis of the Itallian schools.

Our club has yet to receive proper funding, and our equipment is in dire need of replacement. Currently we have 5 foils in working order. Our instructor decided to begin teaching some of us sabre as a result of the shortage.

Not that it makes much of a difference, but I train with a cup-hilt rapier.

A quick find-on-page search for "rapier fencing" shows that it's only appeared in your posts; it's understandable that you would be confused where rapier fencing fits in. This will probably be my last post in this thread, seeing as how it doesn't seem to be going anyware. Alegria, Benjamin1986, SifuSkyler, thank you for your help.

#114022 - 01/04/05 09:48 PM Re: Questions on Foil and Sabre Fencing
Anonymous
Unregistered

Rags,

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rags:
A quick find-on-page search for "rapier fencing" shows that it's only appeared in your posts; it's understandable that you would be confused where rapier fencing fits in.[/QUOTE]

Excuse me?

YOU are the one who started this thread, which was apparently about "foil and saber fencing".

YOU are the one who then muddled the issue, when you brought up the use of "rapiers".

YOU also echoed Ben86's incorrect notion regarding the foil being a practice weapon for the rapier.

YOU are the one who offered an overly simplistic and inaccurate appraisal regarding the relationship between the rapier and smallsword.

So tell me now, who's really "confused"?

You have been remarkably unclear and/or elusive in your posts. I'm simply trying to find out what you do, fencing-wise. Do you train in the modern weapons, a reconstruction of rapier fencing, or perhaps a combination of both?

It's not a difficult question.

[QUOTE]Correct, the other members of the club have almost no experience. There are two more experienced people who can defend the thrusts, but they were not included in my count because they're not active. Neither are members, nor have they shown up more than once.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough.

Milk those low-line attacks against the neophyte escrimeurs for all they're worth, but keep in mind that you'll ultimately have to bout against more experienced folks too, so you'll have to vary your tactical approach.

[QUOTE]The smallsword and rapier are closely related.[/QUOTE]

They are related, but they are not the same. Considerable differences in their respective designs and use exist. You're also ignoring the FACT that the modern foil is NOT meant to "simulate the rapier". Any fencing historian will tell you that.

[QUOTE]The smallsword is lighter and slightly shorter, and was used as the basic weapon of the French schools.[/QUOTE]

It also typically lacks any real cutting edge--it is a pure thrusting weapon. Rapiers, on the other hand, usually retain a functional edge.

[QUOTE]The rapier was used as the basis of the Itallian schools.[/QUOTE]

No offense meant, but here's yet another example of where you betray your comparative lack of knowledge on the subject of fencing and fencing history.

It is true that the smallsword was a French development, but it was also adopted throughout much of Europe. It was, in fact, widely used by the Italians too, especially in the North (in the South, the Neopolitans and Sicilians--doubtlessly due to longtime Spanish influence--retained the use of the long cup-hilt rapier).

[QUOTE]Not that it makes much of a difference, but I train with a cup-hilt rapier.[/QUOTE]

It can actually make a considerable difference.

Swept-hilts were most prominent in the 16th century, and often featured rather substantial blades that were still capable of very damaging cuts. The rappir used in the German school of the late 16th and early 17th centuries was a stout cut-and-thrust weapon. In Jakob Sutor's manual of 1612, this type of rapier is shown as being capable of severing a hand at the wrist.

Later, thinner cup-hilt rapiers could not cut with such severity, and there was thus an even greater emphasis on the use of the point.

In conclusion, I'm sorry if my posts on this thread have in any way offended you, but you were the person who initially posted questionable material here--I simply asked for clarification on what exactly you do, in terms of fencing.

And I'm still waiting for an answer regarding your work with rapiers--is it a reconstruction taught to you by your maestro and/or coach?

Peace,

A_M_P

[This message has been edited by Armed_Man_Piker (edited 01-04-2005).]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Charles Mahan, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga