FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 50 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
AndyLA 3
Matakiant 3
futsaowingchun 2
Zombie Zero 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
Martial News
by Matakiant
Today at 06:42 AM
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Martial News
by Matakiant
Today at 06:42 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Matakiant
09/18/14 07:11 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35576 Topics
432496 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#113748 - 12/21/04 01:24 PM Re: Iaido or Kendo?
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: USA
Stay

Because there are no left handed Japanese swordsmen.

Or archers for that matter.

(Ok there maybe some, just so few and far between as be effectivly non-exsistant)

Just the way things are done.

Look at it this way--may give you a chance to develop functional skill with BOTH hands.

At least one Scots clan actually tied up the right hand of its warriors--"forced" them to train the left until they could use either hand.

(think it was the Kerrs--amoung others)

Might come in handy someday being able to use either hand.

Think what you may be able to someday do with nito kendo.

#113749 - 12/21/04 05:24 PM Re: Iaido or Kendo?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ah, another southpaw. You could probably find a teacher who would be willing to teach you left handed. However, tradition is a great part of Japanese swordplay, so I am not sure you want one that would.

It's too bad, lefties have such an advantage in fencing.

#113750 - 12/21/04 06:23 PM Re: Iaido or Kendo?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cxt:

At least one Scots clan actually tied up the right hand of its warriors--"forced" them to train the left until they could use either hand.
[/QUOTE]

I do the same thing to my students when using one-handed swords. It helps you to be a better fencer all around. As far as the left handed thing, I promote use of your primary hand, whether it be right or left. It's only fair. It also makes things a bit more interesting because the strategies used to defeat a right hander are completely different than their southpaw counterparts.

#113751 - 12/21/04 06:26 PM Re: Iaido or Kendo?
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Denton, Tx, USA
The problem is primarily that no one would know how to teach a southpaw to do things with the left hand. No one does it so there is no frame of reference. Add to that the fact that katana are primarily two handed weapons. It's not a simple matter of doing the same thing with the other hand.

#113752 - 12/21/04 07:09 PM Re: Iaido or Kendo?
Anonymous
Unregistered

It wouldn't be too different, would it? You would just reverse the footwork, the stance, the way you carry the sword, and everything else. If a student is a natural left hander, he should be able to mirror commands and instructions with ease. The only problem I have had in fencing is with the handshake at the end of the match.

#113753 - 12/22/04 05:27 AM Re: Iaido or Kendo?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I understand the difficulty. I'd be wandering around the Dojo doing Katas opposite to everyone else, and would have to line-up 10 feet away in case I cut someone's head off next to me.

It's just a little annoying. Imagine throwing a football with the other hand? Ahhh!

Mark.

#113754 - 12/22/04 09:06 AM Re: Iaido or Kendo?
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Denton, Tx, USA
The problem is that the subtlties of swordwork are learned by sensei demonstrating and the student doing his/her best to copy the technique. So the sensei could probably coble the technique together backwards, but he'll never be able to show the subtleties to the student because he can't do them either. It would be up to the student to translate them from the regular version, and the student doesn't isn't the best person for the job, because the student doesn't know the subtleties.

See what I mean? It's theoretically possible Especially if you could arrange for the student to watch the instructor through a mirror or something, but that's just silly. Tradition is as big a part of the average koryu as any of it's techniques. Left handed swordsman simply did not exist, and so they do not exist now.

That's not to say that there aren't lots of southpaws swinging steel in Japan. There most certainly are, and they do it just like everyone else. Swinging steel is a uniquely two handed activity. Right handed folks have trouble with some aspects that lefties don't, and vise versa.

[This message has been edited by Charles Mahan (edited 12-22-2004).]

#113755 - 12/24/04 06:16 AM Re: Iaido or Kendo?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think the problem with a lot of Kenjutsu today is that the original art has been split into so many subarts, all of which are needed to become an effective swordsman.

If you can find a good traditional Kenjutsu school(Not likely outside of Japan) you should find their training includes Iaijutsu, shinai sparring, handling real swords, combat training, probably some grappling and everything in between.

Are you could try and find a Haidong Gumdo school within a reasonable distance of your home =)

#113756 - 12/24/04 06:25 AM Re: Iaido or Kendo?
Anonymous
Unregistered

My instructor is naturally left handed yet wields the sword just like everyone else (Yes, even one handed techniques are done with the right hand). You simply become ambidextrous after a time.

She can write using either hand with no visible difference as well. It's crazy!

#113757 - 03/10/05 02:44 PM Re: Iaido or Kendo?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Benjamin1986:
It's too bad, lefties have such an advantage in fencing.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say that. (This addresses the issue of doing iaido with only your right hand, so bear with me). The person who I usually train against in fencing is my brother who is left handed, and while it gave him the advantage in the beginning, eventually one adapts and it actually helps me when fencing other righties because I have the other perspective. So, in iaido, you'll have the other perspective which could help you in competitions.

Also, my brother reached 5th kyu in iaido using his right hand with no trouble, so it can be done. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Charles Mahan, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga