FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
charlie 2
ergees 1
William_Bent 1
simonajones111 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#113624 - 12/17/04 10:42 AM Re: Teaching Myself
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MAGon:
You might say that my innate stupidity was the cause of this, but I think others here smarter than me have similar stories.
[/QUOTE]

More common than stupid. I cut my knee with a live broadsword once. I was performing the "Dragon Swishes it's tail" technique (a looping figure eight spin With a grip switch from the front hand to the back that finishes with a low left backhanded slice, ending with your sword behind your back), and I followed through into my left knee. There was blood everywhere, lol.

#113625 - 12/17/04 06:54 PM Re: Teaching Myself
Amos Smith Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Swordsman89:
Im 15 and ive wanted to learn how to use a sword since i was 8. The problem is there arent any dojos near my house and believe me ive checked ive just decided to teach myself i have roughly 700 dollars to spend on materials can anyone help??[/QUOTE]

guess you didn't look too hard: www.chicagobudokai.com

take note of Heiwa Dojo in Joliet.

Amos

[This message has been edited by Amos Smith (edited 12-17-2004).]

#113626 - 12/21/04 09:30 AM Re: Teaching Myself
MAGon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Miami, Fl.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by cxt:

Magon

I really did think it was funny.

Made a good point too.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks, bud.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SifuSkyler:
More common than stupid. I cut my knee with a live broadsword once. I was performing the "Dragon Swishes it's tail" technique (a looping figure eight spin With a grip switch from the front hand to the back that finishes with a low left backhanded slice, ending with your sword behind your back), and I followed through into my left knee. There was blood everywhere, lol.[/QUOTE]

Sensei told me a few years ago an old Japanese saying that goes something like "Before you get to know your sword, your sword will get to know YOU". By which is meant that it's inevitable that you'll cut yourself at some point, before you get good enough. Hopefully, if you have a good teacher, you'll be taught to avoid the mistakes that'll get you SERIOUSLY cut. But cut you will be!!!

#113627 - 12/22/04 09:31 AM Re: Teaching Myself
schanne Offline
breaks things

Loc: Woodbury NJ
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Swordsman89:
Im 15 and ive wanted to learn how to use a sword since i was 8. The problem is there arent any dojos near my house and believe me ive checked ive just decided to teach myself i have roughly 700 dollars to spend on materials can anyone help??[/QUOTE]

If it is your "only alternative" there is nothing wrong with teaching yourself through some type of media. It will never be the same as a proper instructor but it's a lot better than sitting on your butt playing video games. At least your making an honest effort.

#113628 - 12/23/04 04:39 PM Re: Teaching Myself
Anonymous
Unregistered

Indeed......

It has been four years now since I have begun to train myself. It's hard....very hard, but it does beat doing nothing. I'm currently sixteen. I, myself, have tried different dojos, but each one felt lacking so I stuck with self training. If your devoted enough you can do anythin.

Think about it,

~ Who taught the first dancer to dance,
or the first artist to paint?~

Just keep trying......

#113629 - 12/23/04 08:21 PM Re: Teaching Myself
laf7773 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Limbo
[QUOTE]I, myself, have tried different dojos, but each one felt lacking so I stuck with self training.[/QUOTE]

Lacking in what aspect? How would teaching yourself something you don't know be better than learning from someone with experience? If you’re a beginner in the sword arts, how do you know they are lacking?

[QUOTE]~ Who taught the first dancer to dance,
or the first artist to paint?~[/QUOTE]

These examples are hardly the same. You can't compare a painting with a 30" blade.

We get a lot of people here who think it's fine to teach himself or herself a sword art or any art for that matter. Many feel this way because they have a gross misunderstanding of what it takes to become proficient at any art. Many think if they mimic what they see in the movies or in books, teach themselves to perform the moves of an arts kata and generally do the things they think make it "look" like they know what they are doing, that they ARE doing it right or even better. Some even think they can start from scratch and make up their own style, techniques and so forth with NO previous training what so ever.

There is more to it than what you think it "looks" like. There are things you can learn on your own. Things like basic etiquette and terminology. You can educate yourself on various companies and what constitutes a quality sword and what is just for decoration. You can do basic conditioning like getting used to sitting in seiza. You can learn about the history of various arts. Trying to teach yourself much more will result in you having to back peddle and relearn everything the right way.

The instructor is there to show you the proper way, how to hold the sword and teach you why it's the right way. They are there to make corrections in your posture, angle and direction that you would never have known about. Learning in a dojo environment instead of teaching yourself means you will learn proper distance, timing and rhythm that you wouldn't learn otherwise.

Their experience and the experience of the thousands of practitioners before them helps you avoid making the MANY mistakes you would make.

Sword arts didn't evolve over the life of one man. They evolved over years of practice and battle testing. The techniques you would learn today in a dojo are in place because they were deemed necessary by those whose life depended on them (at lest in most cases).

So how is it again that a 16 yr old can do a better job of teaching himself an art he has little or no formal training in than someone with a lineage of practitioners behind him that spans 400 years?

Just curious.

#113630 - 12/24/04 06:31 AM Re: Teaching Myself
MAGon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Miami, Fl.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Yuki Neko:

~ Who taught the first dancer to dance,
or the first artist to paint?~

Just keep trying......
[/QUOTE]

So true. I'll keep this in mind. I have this idea I'm interested in perhaps patenting. The thing is circular and spins on an axle. Four can be attached to a frame and if you push it, it moves from point A to point B.

#113631 - 12/24/04 11:34 PM Re: Teaching Myself
Anonymous
Unregistered

What was your point in that one MAGon? That made sense, but is there a point to that one? Another thing, is that when I first started reading here, I thought that self teaching was okay, as long as others help you, somewhat. Like I learned a few TKD kata from an Aunt, the basics of Jujitsu from a book, and I learned how to box from my friend. In between all that, I read about martial arts on the internet, and applied it to what I already knew. After a while I got better, and I know I did good, but now I wonder if there might be flaws in my technique, or how I move. Anyone wanna give me some advice?

#113632 - 12/25/04 12:17 AM Re: Teaching Myself
laf7773 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Limbo
ind a school and system in your area to join. It doesn't even really need to be a "school" really; a training group will be fine so long as the instructor is qualified to teach. I would suggest training under someone with legitimate experience in a legitimate art, not the kid down the street that took 4 years of joekarate or even 4 years of a legitimate system.

Make sure it is a system and instructor you feel comfortable with. You will notice some things in the beginning about what you have done right and what you have done wrong. The longer you stay with a system the more you will understand the differences i'm talking about.

You may have done some good things in your self-training. The problem is you aren't going to know unless you start training with an instructor or find yourself in a situation where you need your skills. I'd rather find out my training was deficient in a controlled environment than when i really need it.

Even if you have done everything "right" your not going to get past a "basic" stage without knowledgeable instruction.

#113633 - 12/25/04 12:35 AM Re: Teaching Myself
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks. I'll find an instructor. But would it be good to still do some of the self-training things I did already, while taking a class, or while having an instructor?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Charles Mahan, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga