FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 14
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 3
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Throwing
by
04/23/05 10:58 PM
Recent Posts
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/29/14 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432455 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#113504 - 12/07/04 10:37 PM prefered blades
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have been training with a katana for quite some time now and i found it was the most effective blade for me, but i was pondering, what types of swords do you perfer.

and please do Not talk about the reversed blade. I don't care if it's real or not.

#113505 - 12/07/04 10:59 PM Re: prefered blades
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NeoSaturn:
I have been training with a katana for quite some time now and i found it was the most effective blade for me, but i was pondering, what types of swords do you perfer.

and please do Not talk about the reversed blade. I don't care if it's real or not.
[/QUOTE]

European basket-hilted broadswords and backswords, and the Filipino talibong.

The gladius is pretty bada$$ too.

#113506 - 12/08/04 11:20 PM Re: prefered blades
Anonymous
Unregistered

I preffer a daito. Mine is about 45" long. It requires practice but it compensates with reach and cutting power. My wife favors small swords like the chisagatana which is a bit longer than the standard wakisashi. She is very fast with it thus, compensating for its lack of power.

C. Roman

#113507 - 12/09/04 12:49 AM Re: prefered blades
Anonymous
Unregistered

I finally mustered the materials to make this one. I've had the design for awhile. Mainly Japanese in design, with a few Chinese influences. It's so sharp I can shove it through a car door, lol. Cuts really nice for a straight blade, plus it has a good thrust advantage on a normal katana. Took me a week to make finish it. Check it out:

[IMG]http://www.smacknuts.com/upload/Sword.jpg[/IMG]

#113508 - 12/09/04 06:56 AM Re: prefered blades
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Denton, Tx, USA
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SifuSkyler:
Cuts really nice for a straight blade, plus it has a good thrust advantage on a normal katana. [/QUOTE]

Could you explain exactly what you mean by it having a good thrust advantage over a "normal" katana.

#113509 - 12/09/04 12:16 PM Re: prefered blades
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Charles Mahan:
Could you explain exactly what you mean by it having a good thrust advantage over a "normal" katana.[/QUOTE]

It's really just a post-cut physics difference. Something that never comes into play in practice anyway. A curved blade gets stuck easier and is harder to pull from an impale than a straight one. They both penetrate about the same, but when facing my opponent, if I have to stab instead of cut, I don't want to be stuck in his range any longer than I have to. Just a subtle difference I noticed. Plus I just like the handling of a straight sword better than a curved one (probably because I trained a lot with a Tai Chi sword).

#113510 - 12/10/04 11:12 AM Re: prefered blades
Anonymous
Unregistered

You only need couple inches of the tip to stab and do damage. You've heard (or maybe seen if you were unfortunate to witness a stabbing) of a knife stabbing someone and killing them. A knife is short and if only a few inches of it goes into the body and injures or kills them, then there's no need to stick a whole sword through a body. If 3 or 2 inches of a tip of a sword stabs into a body, it's not that hard to pull out regardless if it's Katana or Chinese Jian. You don't need to push the whole length of the blade into the body out the otherside to hurt or kill someone. That's just for movies to show the audience, yeah he's stabbed.

[This message has been edited by Walter Wong (edited 12-10-2004).]

#113511 - 12/10/04 11:45 AM Re: prefered blades
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Walter Wong:
You only need couple inches of the tip to stab and do damage. You've heard (or maybe seen if you were unfortunate to witness a stabbing) of a knife stabbing someone and killing them. A knife is short and if only a few inches of it goes into the body and injures or kills them, then there's no need to stick a whole sword through a body. If 3 or 2 inches of a tip of a sword stabs into a body, it's not that hard to pull out regardless if it's Katana or Chinese Jian. You don't need to push the whole length of the blade into the body out the otherside to hurt or kill someone. That's just for movies to show the audience, yeah he's stabbed.

[/QUOTE]

I agree that a few inches is all you need, but things don't always go as planned. What if they keep advancing onto your blade and send a nice horizontal cut to the side of your neck? Your only defense has been spent (it's imbedded in your opponent). You are now officially screwed. It mainly has to do with bone lock. Often, you will lodge your sword in a rib or what not, and have to yank it out. A straight blade makes this far easier. Like I said before, "Just a post cut physics difference." Take a straight sword and shove it through a car door and pull it out. Take a curved one and do the same. You will see what I mean.

#113512 - 12/10/04 12:30 PM Re: prefered blades
Anonymous
Unregistered

I see what you mean. A straighter blade would make it easier to pull out if you happened to shoved your blade in that far by chance of things not going your way. But either Katana or Jian stabbed that far in or stuck in the opponent's bone, yanking the sword back to pull it out would likely pull them closer to you. Unless you kick their body away as your pull your sword. Just becareful not to slice your leg or extremities while doing so. With a Katana I would pull back not straight but turning my body to follow the curve of the blade. For pulling straight back it makes sense with a Jian or a blade that is straight. Whether the blade is straight or curved your body movements have to accommedate the weapon's shape and structure to find the most efficient way.

Stabbing a car door I don't think would give the feeling of stabbing a person.

#113513 - 12/10/04 12:59 PM Re: prefered blades
Anonymous
Unregistered

Might simulate being attacked by C-3P0... [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

Oh, and to keep it on topic -

Big fan of the katana, (it just feels right),
but I love the wakisashi and gladius, as well. (I like the 1 hand use). And after fencing sabre in college I developed a healthy affection for the rapier also.

[This message has been edited by Karateguy (edited 12-10-2004).]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Charles Mahan, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga