FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 32 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
LeroyCFischer 1
William_Bent 1
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#113335 - 11/23/04 11:17 AM Anybody know how to use the Broadsword
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi all,

I am currently learning sword technique from my Korean master. I am patient and love learning it. At some point in the future, I want to learn the sword techniques of my people, the Scots. I am a direct descendant of Rob Roy MacGregor and he used the Broadsword. What are your suggestions for learning more about this weapon and wielding it?

#113336 - 11/23/04 12:43 PM Re: Anybody know how to use the Broadsword
MAGon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Miami, Fl.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mentor:
Hi all,

I am currently learning sword technique from my Korean master. I am patient and love learning it. At some point in the future, I want to learn the sword techniques of my people, the Scots. I am a direct descendant of Rob Roy MacGregor and he used the Broadsword. What are your suggestions for learning more about this weapon and wielding it?
[/QUOTE]

Hi, mentor.
Let me start by saying I know NOTHING of western MA, but I ran into this web site researching Kenjutsu. http://www.thearma.org/
It's devoted to medieval western arts. They have a forum. I don't know how friendly they are, no reason to think they wouldn't be, however. Especially to an honest inquiry like yours.
Anyway, my 2 centavos.

#113337 - 11/23/04 02:10 PM Re: Anybody know how to use the Broadsword
laf7773 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Limbo
A very good person for you to talk to in my opinion would be Dale Seago. He's a moderator at swordforum.com. He could give you some very good insites into Scottish sword play. http://www.bujinkansf.org/

#113338 - 11/27/04 03:57 PM Re: Anybody know how to use the Broadsword
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mentor:
Hi all,

[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind that whatever you end up learning will only be a reconstruction, as there is no surviving European broadsword/backsword school.

Basket-hilted broadswords (double-edged) and backswords (single-edged) were common weapons in Scotland, England, & Germany for several centuries. Certainly, it was one of the national weapons of the Scots, and was used to great effect by both the Highlanders and the Borderers (Anglo-Scottish clans on the Border). The English also had similar swordfighting traditions.

Unfortunately, the classic method of wielding the broadsword in conjunction with the targe (shield) died with the last of the Jacobite Rebellions ("The '45"). A school of Western European cut-and-thrust fencing (making use of the broadsword, backsword, cavalry saber, naval cutlass, etc) remained, but it eventually died out as swordplay lost its military usefulness. The British Isles and Germany were essentially the last holdouts, but eventually the lighter Italian sciabola di terreno (aka the "Radaellian" duelling saber) took over in popularity. Modern saber fencing is largely derived from this lighter weapon (although the Italians at that time still made use of cuts from the elbow, which is practially never seen today).

If you find a good HEMA (Historical European Martial Art) school, you may be able to train in what might be a decent reconstruction, but remember that it is a dead art--it's not as if you'll have Donald McBane by your side, to correct your form, etc.

Just some friendly advice, from one Scot to Another [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG].

A_M_P

#113339 - 11/29/04 07:46 AM Re: Anybody know how to use the Broadsword
Anonymous
Unregistered

Subscibing. I can't offer any helpful information, but as a fellow Scot taking a Korean sword art, I'm curious as to what you find out. All I really learned was the Broadsword was primarily for hacking and wielding it wore you out in a hurry.

BTW. A_M_P, that was great information!

#113340 - 12/02/04 12:09 AM Re: Anybody know how to use the Broadsword
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gemini:
Subscibing. I can't offer any helpful information, but as a fellow Scot taking a Korean sword art, I'm curious as to what you find out. All I really learned was the Broadsword was primarily for hacking and wielding it wore you out in a hurry.[/QUOTE]

No more so than any other type of sword.

Having handled my fair share of original Scottish basket-hilted broadswords, I can assure you that they are surprisingly light, and very well-balanced. You would never guess this by playing with Cold Steel's replicas (their basket-hilts are friggin' clubs), but that's the dark side of the replica business, I guess.

The Elizabethan English used swords of this type, and the English swordmaster George Silver described the basket-hilt as a "short sharp light sword". By "short", he meant shorter than most rapiers (but it was still pretty long, with a blade averaging from 37"-40"). By "sharp", he meant a blade that was sufficiently wide to take an edge that could sever limbs. And "Light" is self-evident.

[QUOTE]BTW. A_M_P, that was great information![/QUOTE]

Thanks, bro. Happy to be of assistance.

A_M_P

Moderator:  Charles Mahan, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga