FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 43 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT, sagat
22914 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
AndyLA 3
ergees 2
Marcus Charles 1
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
Recent Posts
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
09/09/14 05:55 PM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/07/14 07:01 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
09/02/14 06:26 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
Forum Stats
22914 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432491 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#112768 - 09/13/04 12:13 AM Self-Teaching...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Excuse me for asking, but I am 14 years old, unemployed, and very poor, because i cannot afford to enroll in a kendo or kenjitsu class, I was curious as to any methods to teach myself. I already know that it will be a long road to become good in anyway, and I am willing to sacrifice anything to become a swordsman. Also, if any of you know of a swordsman who will teach me near Fullerton, California for little or no money, I'd be delighted to hear from you.

Until then,
The Ronin Otaku

Ps: Also keep in mind that books and videos are also out of my price range.

[This message has been edited by RoninOtaku (edited 09-13-2004).]

#112769 - 09/13/04 07:49 AM Re: Self-Teaching...
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Denton, Tx, USA
How do you propose to teach anyone something you don't know, let alone yourself?

#112770 - 09/13/04 08:04 AM Re: Self-Teaching...
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: USA
Ronin

Since you say your willing to "to sacrifice anything t become a swordsman"

I would ask you to consider a couple of options.

1-If you have a dojo in the area I would contact the teacher and explain your situation, ask if he/she needs any help around the dojo that you could do in exchange for lessons.

One of my buddies has some guys in his class that do basic clean up and other duties in exchange for lessons.

(course one of them has a good job he just likes to barter services whenever he can.)

2- You might see what jobs a 14 year kid can get in your area--I don't know specifics of where your located.

If you want something bad enough and are willing to work hard for it--things often have a way of working out.

Good Luck!

[This message has been edited by cxt (edited 09-13-2004).]

#112771 - 09/13/04 05:27 PM Re: Self-Teaching...
Anonymous
Unregistered

cxt, thank you for the advice, I'm sure it will help me in some way. Oh, and Mahan-san, and as for how to teach myself with no experience, well, nothing like learning from gaining real experiance...no?

#112772 - 09/16/04 04:33 PM Re: Self-Teaching...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I tauaght myself in bo and in katanas and i'm just as good as my friend who took tai chi and majored in bo staffs.

#112773 - 09/16/04 08:29 PM Re: Self-Teaching...
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Ronin... How do you propose to gain "real experience"? Where do you propose to engage in swordfights? How many swordsman do you think you need to kill in order to determine that a particular idea works?

#112774 - 09/17/04 01:16 AM Re: Self-Teaching...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, real experiance is almost impossible to gain in the world today unless I fight with people who are obviously better than me because they were taught a style that was tested and perfected. But what about the person who made that style in the first place? Where did they perfect it? Perhaps by using life experiances to set ethics and diciplinaries for that style, for me, experiance and the like are not important, it's your drive and will that decides the outcome of a match, the body may fall, but the will can drive on forever. If I focus on driving forward, I can gain experiance by unlocking hidden energy that can push me forward, even if I am outmatched.

#112775 - 09/17/04 01:36 AM Re: Self-Teaching...
laf7773 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Limbo
[QUOTE]But what about the person who made that style in the first place? Where did they perfect it?[/QUOTE]

On the battle feild.

[QUOTE]it's your drive and will that decides the outcome of a match, the body may fall, but the will can drive on forever.[/QUOTE]

Not in a sword fight.

[QUOTE]If I focus on driving forward, I can gain experiance by unlocking hidden energy that can push me forward, even if I am outmatched.[/QUOTE]

Unlocking hidden energy? How will this help you against a trained fighter in any style?

Why is it that so many people want to reinvent the wheel? Even if you are able to develop your own style of sword fighting you will not be alive long enough to see it in an effective form. In order to teach your self you need trial and error. That means with live blades and intent to kill. You would need to figure out what foot work, stances, body positions, angle of attack, direction of attack and what way to hold the sword will be best for your survival. You will need to figure out proper ways of deflection. You will need to figure out what defenses work against each attack. You will need to teach yourself timing, distance, body mechanics and human nature. Since everyone is different you will need several fight with several types of opponents and decades of practice in order to even get the BASIS of your sword art or to teach yourself.

Or you could find an instructor of a legitimate sword art that has hundreds of years of testing and actual combat use to back it up. It will still take years to learn but at least it will be spent on learning something that works and not trial and error that has already been done.

There is more to sword arts than tricks.

#112776 - 09/17/04 07:58 AM Re: Self-Teaching...
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

There is a fundamental issue you are missing with regards to starting your own style. It's evident in this quote:
[QUOTE]Well, real experiance is almost impossible to gain in the world today unless I fight with people who are obviously better than me because they were taught a style that was tested and perfected. But what about the person who made that style in the first place? Where did they perfect it?[/QUOTE]

First and foremost nobody trained in a legitimate style of sword play will engage in a fight with you. Nobody wants to go to jail for killing you.

As for the people who founded styles that have survived for generations and in some cases hundreds of years, you are nothing like them, and today is nothing like the time they lived in. Lets take the founder of Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu for example. Hayashizaki Jinsuke Minamoto Shigenobu's father was killed. He decided to seek vengence on the person who killed him. The problem was his fathers killer was a very skilled swordsman and Hayashizaki new he would not be able to kill him in a duel. So he went away and devised means of intitating a cut while his sword was still in the scabbard. He trained very hard and one day got his revenge. He lived to further refine the techniques and pass them on to the next generation. The next generation refined and expanded the techniques and lived to pass it on.

See where I'm going with this? History is littered with folks who "started their own style" but didn't survive to pass it on to another generation. Well ok, history is probably not littered with these folks, because they are mostly not deemed important enough to keep track of. They are sword art evolutionary dead ends. The sword arts that survived did so because they worked. This crucible no longer exists.

So back to the question. How do you propose to gain "real experience"? How do you propose to see if anything you make up will work? Are you willing to stake your life on it? The folks who founded and revised the koryu arts were willing to stake their lives on their arts. So were the generations who followed.

#112777 - 09/17/04 08:43 AM Re: Self-Teaching...
Anonymous
Unregistered

RoninOtaku:
Are you by any chance connected to TheOtaku.com ? If so, I would venture a guess that you are an Anime/Kenshin wannabe.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Charles Mahan, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga