FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 28 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
BUJU, Pilsungkarate, ALF, old1, Leonar
22928 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Ronin1966 3
ergees 2
Victor Smith 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 04:53 PM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 04:53 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Forum Stats
22928 Members
36 Forums
35583 Topics
432511 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 ... 14 15 >
Topic Options
#28964 - 05/27/04 06:24 PM Boxing vs Martial Arts
Anonymous
Unregistered

Does anyone prefer boxing over martial arts. If so y? Me personaly prefer boxing with the concept of martial arts in mind while fighting. What i mean is boxers in general dont know anything but boxing, but someone who knows both could use boxing for strikes and use countering from martial arts such as chin-na, aikido and grappling. Basically boxing has less openings compared to that of taekwondo.

#28965 - 05/27/04 06:31 PM Re: Boxing vs Martial Arts
otobeawanker Offline

Loc: CANADA
A couple of my sparring partners are bb in traditional arts. But when they spar they both use western boxing for their offensive hand work. Because of its simplicity and effectivenss. Though they would never trade their MA training for boxing training. I think it is up to the individual nartial artist to decide for them selves what works and what doesn't.,

#28966 - 05/27/04 06:42 PM Re: Boxing vs Martial Arts
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Boxing is a HUGE part of my training for street self defense. I mean to say, if you're NOT training boxing, you're leaving a critically important element out. The reason is because you have to TRAIN!!! Training in boxing teaches some of the best hand skills there is, and, the most economical defense to same. I also feel that boxing is a martial art. The art of boxing, is different than the sport of boxing. Try looking at some of old time boxing's "dirty tactics" and you'll realize that it has quite a lot to offer anyone intested in self-preservation.

-John

#28967 - 05/27/04 08:05 PM Re: Boxing vs Martial Arts
pete Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: England
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JKogas:
Boxing is a HUGE part of my training for street self defense. I mean to say, if you're NOT training boxing, you're leaving a critically important element out. The reason is because you have to TRAIN!!! Training in boxing teaches some of the best hand skills there is, and, the most economical defense to same. I also feel that boxing is a martial art. The art of boxing, is different than the sport of boxing. Try looking at some of old time boxing's "dirty tactics" and you'll realize that it has quite a lot to offer anyone intested in self-preservation.

-John
[/QUOTE]

The footwork of boxing and the vertical fist of bareknuckle fighters is very good for martial arts. But as to covering up as a defense, or lack of pulling someone off balance and close range power needs leverage and angle compared to wing chun punches. Boxing lack real close range power punch compared to non-telegraphic martial punches, needs certain distance and range to be effective. For mobility yes as their are a few punches that add "circular power to linear strikes" i.e. sucker punch and rear cross. Training methods of conditioning and skipping, bag, speedbag and focus gloves perfect for martial arts cross training. Boxing gloves a bit too cumbersome for martial arts strikes, open fingered golves and lighter ones much better.
http://www.beauproductions.com/ali/index1.htm

Punch needs to land and counters the punch that lands first, see ali the master to knocking out "power punches" Sonny liston, George foreman the list can go on but enought said.
Boxing is not a complete martial art. It does not claim to be.

Boxers are generally the best at what they do -- striking at punching range -- but this is by no means the alpha and the omega of fighting as a whole. Beyond this, the ability of someone who trains in boxing to do well as a fighter in the street depends on a number of other things as well.

If you train in boxing, your stance must be modified to take into account other things. A person with boxing training who intends to really fight should also be trained and prepared to sprawl against a shooter, block and avoid leg kicks, protect his groin, learn good tie-up skills and how to dominate this range, etc. etc.

He should also know how to kick, grapple, elbow, knee, rip, gouge, and how to use these and other tactics as means to other ends, etc.

[This message has been edited by pete
(edited 05-27-2004).]

[This message has been edited by pete (edited 05-27-2004).]

[This message has been edited by pete (edited 05-29-2004).]

#28968 - 05/28/04 08:46 AM Re: Boxing vs Martial Arts
Yoseikan Student Offline
Veteran

Loc: UK
[QUOTE]Originally posted by pete:
Boxing lack real close range power punch, [This message has been edited by pete (edited 05-27-2004).][/QUOTE]

bolox

#28969 - 05/28/04 08:51 AM Re: Boxing vs Martial Arts
JohnL Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: NY, NY, USA
Boxing lack real close range power punch, needs certain distance and range to be effective. [/QUOTE]

Sorry Pete,

Total Garbage.

Boxers are some of the hardest hitters around, at any range they punch at.

It's all they do, they train for it, and they're damn good at it.

JohnL

#28970 - 05/28/04 08:55 AM Re: Boxing vs Martial Arts
DragonFire1134 Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Theodore (mobile), Alabama
Agreed. I believe in a fight, the one who can box the best will generally win the fight.

#28971 - 05/28/04 08:58 AM Re: Boxing vs Martial Arts
Syrio Offline

Boxing lack real close range power punch, needs certain distance and range to be effective.[/QUOTE]

Huh? So why are all those gentleman falling when their opponent uppercuts their jaw? They must be taking dives then?

I have a background in Wing Chun and Mantis, which both have a short distance straight punch that boxers rarely use, if ever. In fact we thrive on close quarter combat. But I have been trained to be wary of boxers as they have a whole slew of weapons for clinching, entering the clinch, and exiting the clinch.

You might do better studying some of the older boxing matches that weren't so rule-laden, or visiting some of the trainers that provide instruction for the street. It's very enlightening.

#28972 - 05/28/04 08:59 AM Re: Boxing vs Martial Arts
Lokkan-Do Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Isn't boxing a martial art?

Skillz...pioneers of Full contact karate cross trained with boxers to create Full contact karate or kickboxing.

I think it's a good art have.

If Karatekas and Kung Fu artists trained like boxers they would be awesome.

[This message has been edited by Lokkan-Do (edited 05-28-2004).]

#28973 - 05/28/04 10:29 AM Re: Boxing vs Martial Arts
MuayThai Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
Boxing lack real close range power punch, needs certain distance and range to be effective.[/QUOTE]

It's a beautiful spectacle watching a "good" boxer at work, the power that is released for a kidney shot makes grown TOUGH men moan with pain and can make you piss blood! Close range and powerful punching, the most powerful, is what boxing is about. Dont you think if boxers knew that there were other punches that are more powerful than what "boxing" has to offer then they'd most definately take them and use them.... they dont, why? because boxing hand work is the best there is. full stop. You can say what you want about 1" punching and all this malakas.... Boxing has science behind each hit, it has momentum and of course the same technique applied to the 1" punch is applied to a boxing punch, do you think they just use brute force the entire time they punch? of course not, they relax their whole body and on impact tense up thus releasing the power... similar to Thaiboxing application.

[QUOTE]For mobility yes as their are a few punches that add "circular power to linear strikes" i.e. sucker punch and rear cross. [/QUOTE] Linear strikes, damn man, I hear it all the time, Muay Thai is too circular!! so then why do boxers and Thaiboxers (Mixed Martial art fighters) alkways seem to be the best fighters there, most of the techniques are circular.

[QUOTE]Boxing gloves a bit too cumbersome for martial arts strikes, open fingered golves and lighter ones much better.
[/QUOTE]

Then just take the damn gloves off! you dont say "hey man please wait till i put on some gloves before I hit you", haha, you just hit him!

I have seen cracked eye sockets, very ugly looking smashed up faces. Damn a good boxer has an incredible skill behind him that should be respected and feared because until you have either been knocked out by or fought a good "boxer" you havnt an f'ing clue about it.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 ... 14 15 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga