FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 34 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 14
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 3
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Throwing
by
04/23/05 10:58 PM
Recent Posts
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/29/14 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432455 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#112306 - 06/22/04 03:06 PM WW2 Katana
Anonymous
Unregistered


My grandpa gave me a Katana he got in WWII
and it has a little bit of rust on the back side How or where can i get it fixed.

Thanks

[This message has been edited by lp_harley (edited 06-22-2004).]

Top
#112307 - 06/22/04 03:41 PM Re: WW2 Katana
schanne Offline
breaks things

Registered: 02/18/04
Posts: 4370
Loc: Woodbury NJ
[QUOTE]Originally posted by lp_harley:
My grandpa gave me a Katana he got in WWII
and it has a little bit of rust on the back side How or where can i get it fixed.

Thanks

[This message has been edited by lp_harley (edited 06-22-2004).]
[/QUOTE]

What kind of katana did he give you, can you explain it to me. Doe it look like the Samurai style or more western styled calvery. My father in law gave me one too but it the one the Japanese officers used while in parade or in full dress, the handle
is wood and metal with a guard and metal rusted scabard. Tell me which one it look like?
http://quanonline.com/military/military_reference/japanese/sword3.html

http://quanonline.com/military/military_reference/japanese/police1.html

Top
#112308 - 06/22/04 04:07 PM Re: WW2 Katana
Anonymous
Unregistered


[QUOTE]Originally posted by schanne:
What kind of katana did he give you, can you explain it to me. Doe it look like the Samurai style or more western styled calvery. My father in law gave me one too but it the one the Japanese officers used while in parade or in full dress, the handle
is wood and metal with a guard and metal rusted scabard. Tell me which one it look like?
http://quanonline.com/military/military_reference/japanese/sword3.html

http://quanonline.com/military/military_reference/japanese/police1.html
[/QUOTE]

It is Samurai style with wood scabbard and the handle is wood and metal like yours it does not have a Kabutogane. the blade has slite corve and is 281/4" the sageo on the scabbard is leather. Is this enough info?

Top
#112309 - 06/22/04 04:32 PM Re: WW2 Katana
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Registered: 06/14/04
Posts: 2502
Loc: Denton, Tx, USA
NEVER EVER EVER take the rust off an antique sword. You will ruin it's value to collectors.

Go to google and search for "Richard Stein's Japanese Sword Index". That site will teach you just about everything you ever wanted to know about Japanese swords, including how to go about caring for antique swords, and how to go about determining whether or not they have any value as antiques. One of the very first things any collector will tell you is not to ever attempt to alter the blade in any way. Then they will regail you with horror stories of folks who have absolutely ruined blades beyond repair attempting to remove rust or put a shine on them.

There are professional polishing services that can safely remove rust from the blade, but they aren't cheap. Many older blades aren't worth the money, but are worth something as long as they are maintained in their current state.

Top
#112310 - 06/22/04 05:07 PM Re: WW2 Katana
Anonymous
Unregistered


[QUOTE]Originally posted by Charles Mahan:
NEVER EVER EVER take the rust off an antique sword. You will ruin it's value to collectors.

Go to google and search for "Richard Stein's Japanese Sword Index". That site will teach you just about everything you ever wanted to know about Japanese swords, including how to go about caring for antique swords, and how to go about determining whether or not they have any value as antiques. One of the very first things any collector will tell you is not to ever attempt to alter the blade in any way. Then they will regail you with horror stories of folks who have absolutely ruined blades beyond repair attempting to remove rust or put a shine on them.

There are professional polishing services that can safely remove rust from the blade, but they aren't cheap. Many older blades aren't worth the money, but are worth something as long as they are maintained in their current state.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks

the blade does not have much rust on it and has a good shine. The rust has not pited the blade and on lt takes up about 1" of the shinogi-ji.

Top
#112311 - 06/23/04 07:34 AM Re: WW2 Katana
schanne Offline
breaks things

Registered: 02/18/04
Posts: 4370
Loc: Woodbury NJ
Cool dude sounds like you have yourself the real deal, although many of the blades were machined for fast production for the war effort instead of being hand forged I still envy you. My father in law was on a ship when they decomissioned the Japanese and they had to hand in all their weapons. He told me that they separated the weapons and piled them up in rooms. There were piles of swords, rifles, pistols and anything you could amagine. Most of the guys wanted the Japanese flags at that time, they had no idea how much value the katana were worth at that time. Anyway if you wanted a relec from the war everything was free and up for grabs so he took the officers sword? Take care of your katana and let a pro show you how to maintain the blade.

Top
#112312 - 06/24/04 09:41 PM Re: WW2 Katana
Anonymous
Unregistered


I took the sword to a blade shop in Dallas found out the smith was a man named Kuriyama Kaneaki. They have a professional who said he could make it look new agin for $250 is that a reasonable price.

Thanks

Top
#112313 - 06/25/04 05:09 AM Re: WW2 Katana
jimp1969 Offline
Member

Registered: 06/08/04
Posts: 64
Loc: Midlands UK

Top
#112314 - 06/25/04 08:19 AM Re: WW2 Katana
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Registered: 06/14/04
Posts: 2502
Loc: Denton, Tx, USA
$250. If it's for only a small 1 inch section, that doesn't sound tooo bad. You could also look into the services available through http://www.bugei.com and http://www.japanese-swords.com

You're in Dallas? Where did you find a sword shop in Dallas? I'm up in Denton, and nobody at my dojo has ever mentioned there being a legitimate sword shop anywhere in the metroplex. Plenty of knife shops carrying cheap knockoffs, but no legitimate dealers of nihonto that I'm aware of anyway. I suspect we would know if there was a good one. Probably wouldn't hurt to check up on them a little more before paying them $250 to take an inch of rust off a sword which may or may not be worth that kind of expenditure. If they turn out to be a legit place, I'd definitely like to know more about them.

We've got at least one collector at the dojo who might be able to take a look at it and determine the extent of the rust damage. You might consider joining us some Saturday morning and letting him take a look, although for the saturday morning class he's only there every other week so it wouldn't hurt to contact me and see if he's gonna be there the day you want to come up.

There is supposed to be another San Antonio Sword Show next May. If you're really interested in doing it right, you might consider holding off until then and let some of the dealers there take a look. There's a chance you can get one of them to do it at the show for a bit less money and be sure that a pro is handling it. Just a thought.

[This message has been edited by Charles Mahan (edited 06-25-2004).]

Top
#112315 - 06/25/04 10:06 AM Re: WW2 Katana
Anonymous
Unregistered


[QUOTE]Originally posted by Charles Mahan:
$250. If it's for only a small 1 inch section, that doesn't sound tooo bad. You could also look into the services available through http://www.bugei.com and http://www.japanese-swords.com

You're in Dallas? Where did you find a sword shop in Dallas? I'm up in Denton, and nobody at my dojo has ever mentioned there being a legitimate sword shop anywhere in the metroplex. Plenty of knife shops carrying cheap knockoffs, but no legitimate dealers of nihonto that I'm aware of anyway. I suspect we would know if there was a good one. Probably wouldn't hurt to check up on them a little more before paying them $250 to take an inch of rust off a sword which may or may not be worth that kind of expenditure. If they turn out to be a legit place, I'd definitely like to know more about them.

We've got at least one collector at the dojo who might be able to take a look at it and determine the extent of the rust damage. You might consider joining us some Saturday morning and letting him take a look, although for the saturday morning class he's only there every other week so it wouldn't hurt to contact me and see if he's gonna be there the day you want to come up.

There is supposed to be another San Antonio Sword Show next May. If you're really interested in doing it right, you might consider holding off until then and let some of the dealers there take a look. There's a chance you can get one of them to do it at the show for a bit less money and be sure that a pro is handling it. Just a thought.

[This message has been edited by Charles Mahan (edited 06-25-2004).]
[/QUOTE]


It was a nife shop the house of blades 114 East Exchange Avenue thay said thay have restorde swords before but Iwill take your advice and look around befor I do any thing.

Thans for the advice

Top
#112316 - 06/25/04 11:02 AM Re: WW2 Katana
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Registered: 06/14/04
Posts: 2502
Loc: Denton, Tx, USA
I don't know the place. Might be legitimate, but antique Japanese swords, real ones, are not the same as knives, and I'd really want someone who knows what they're doing to work on something of mine.

Good luck!

Top
#112317 - 06/26/04 12:49 PM Re: WW2 Katana
Anonymous
Unregistered


if you go to a hardeware store you can buy silicone spray. it takes rust off of blades. you just have to rub on the rusty spot

Top
#112318 - 06/26/04 05:14 PM Re: WW2 Katana
laf7773 Offline
Professional Poster

Registered: 05/05/04
Posts: 4064
Loc: Limbo
If what you have is an original wwII katana, do NOT attempt to remove any rust or fix the blade yourself in any way.

The first thing to do is contact a collector or appraiser in order to verify it's value. Not all old swords are worth anything.

If it is of some value the next thing to do is seek out someone that specializes in sword restoration. If you take it to any old knife shop you run the risk of them taking a grinder to it or something just as bad.

Do yourself a favor and take the time to take care of it properly and spend the cash to have it done professionally. Cheap solutions tend to produce cheap results.

Top
#112319 - 06/27/04 09:49 PM Re: WW2 Katana
Anonymous
Unregistered


Im going to hold off and take it to the San Antonio Sword Show Like Charles Mahan said.

Thanks agien for yalls advice.

Top
#112320 - 06/28/04 12:11 AM Re: WW2 Katana
laf7773 Offline
Professional Poster

Registered: 05/05/04
Posts: 4064
Loc: Limbo
Good idea.

Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >


Moderator:  Charles Mahan, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 




Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

 

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga