FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 42 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Dobbersky 2
MattJ 2
royal 2
Jeff_G 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#112037 - 06/18/04 10:05 PM Re: Blade tricks and skills
Anonymous
Unregistered

laf7773 and cxt,

It depends on what some people think of as tricks. Define your idea of 'tricks'. I may then reconsider. But until then, I will stick with what I have said.

Ummm... did you see anywhere on my post that said senseis made contracts? Parents make kids stick with the what they do. This is not restricted to just the arts. Pretty much any sport, art, or fine art will do. That is, if the parent is responsible. Also, my sensei is no scammer.

Once more, I have not said that anyone should go around doing 'tricks' to impress people of any kind.

I was being serious about the driver. There is no harm in doing doughnuts. I also seriously doubt that any responsible parent would give their kids a car with enough power to do doughnuts and flip or get into any accidents. Back when I was 16, me and my friends paid for our cars because the only thing our parents would even think of giving us were hoopdies. We got together in a parking lot, showed off all the things we did to our cars, like a nice paint job or neon lights. If any kid was doing doughnuts to show off, it was safe since we dared not damaged the expensive jobs on our cars.

And last, not one person in this thread has stated that this topic is inappropriate.

ph34r m4 l33tn3ss

#112038 - 06/19/04 02:05 AM Re: Blade tricks and skills
laf7773 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Limbo
The topic isn't inappropriate. If anything it is a good thing to discuss because it will educate people on what not to do because of the dangers.

"Ummm... did you see anywhere on my post that said senseis made contracts? "

No. Did you see in my post where I claimed you did? No. Please pay attention to what is being written. That was MY statement and nothing was said about your sensei.

"It depends on what some people think of as tricks. Define your idea of 'tricks'. I may then reconsider. But until then, I will stick with what I have said."

This has already been established. You seem to be the one with the disconnect on what a trick is..."I kind of find it hard to believe that 'tricks', the basic moves that train you, are inappropriate." Please enlighten us to what you believe these tricks to be.

"There is no harm in doing doughnuts."

Again, you can't be serious.

"Back when I was 16, me and my friends paid for our cars because the only thing our parents would even think of giving us were hoopdies. We got together in a parking lot, showed off all the things we did to our cars, like a nice paint job or neon lights."

Makes you what, about 24?

"When I first came into Aikido a long long time ago, tricks were what drew me there."

Could you define "a long long time ago"? Since we are discussing Japanese sword arts here what is the extent of your training in the Japanese sword arts? Just to clarify my question about age. Your first post looked as though it was to lead people to believe you have been training for a very long time, but if you are in your mid 20s that would contradict it. Just curious.

#112039 - 06/19/04 09:59 AM Re: Blade tricks and skills
Anonymous
Unregistered

laf7773,

*applauds*. You seem to be very concerned about a lot of people's ages, but I am 22. A long time ago (not a long long time, that was a typo), 14 years ago, when I was 8, I started Aikido. I have only begun Kendo recently. Also, time means different things to different people.

I never said you said anything about my sensei. I am stating that since you think that "poor" senseis made contracts, you also think my sensei makes contracts with the parents of the kids that eventually become black belts at a younger age than most of us.

If you think of twirling a sword between your fingers like a pencil as a trick, then you who think that is a trick should just learn the art and forget the tricks.

What I think of as a trick is doing a full 360 degree circle and switching hands, as java stated. We do this as a practice beginning every 5 sessions.

Have you never done a doughnut?
(a small shoutout to all teens reading this thread, do not put neon lights on your cars, they yell "pull me over!" to all 5-0)

And last, read the topic line. "blade tricks and skills". Nowhere does it say "reasons why you should and shouldn't do tricks and skills".

ph34r m4 l33tn3ss

#112040 - 06/19/04 10:53 AM Re: Blade tricks and skills
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: USA
H3

Well, to be honest I took my view of what consists of "tricks" from the "trick" detailed by the person who started this whole thread.

I asked before for someone to post an application for said "trick"--no takers so far--maybe you would care to try??

Person posted a topic--asked for input and opinion (and YES thats IS what was requested) and thats what they got.

You clearly have strong opinons on the topic--as do the number of us that feel that treating potentially dangerous weapons as "toys" so one can "do tricks" and "look cool" (all direct quotes from the posts on this topic)
Are perfect examples of the attitudes and appraochs (sp) of childish, immature, "mighty morphin power ranger wannabees."

People that expect to be taken seriously don't do "tricks" as described in the first post.

Pro's don't do "tricks"

(not that they CAN'T--many pro's are capable of some pretty awesome stunts)

Pro golfers, pro football, pro baseball, pro hockey, pro boxers etc.

You ever see what a pro level practice/training session in any of the above looks like??

Pro's that have to match vs. other pro's spend the vast majority of their time practicing fundamental techs over and over and over--because that is the only way to beat other pro's.

They don't do it by spending their training time doing "tricks" of the type described on the first post.

You want to "do tricks" so you can "look cool?"--look like a big man to your friends?

You want to spend your time training to "look cool?" rather than than really digging in an actually learning the skill that make up your art??

Fine by me--just don't ask me to respect it--or you--or anyone else that willing chooses to trade skill for superfical (sp) "tricks."

And please, please, pretty please DON'T encourage children to follow your example of treating weapons as toys.

At the very least keep 911 on your speed dial--sounds like your going to need it.

#112041 - 06/19/04 04:10 PM Re: Blade tricks and skills
laf7773 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Limbo
I am stating that since you think that poor senseis made contracts,

Your reading into it too much. Just read what I wrote.

This same type of instructor TENDS to have a contract so the student will have to stay for the length of the contract after they find out these tricks are useless.

I didn't say all instructors have contracts are poor instructors. I only stated that poor instructors do it in order to keep students after the student finds out what they are really teaching is crap.

You seem to be very concerned about a lot of people's ages, but I am 22.

Age is a part of experience. Since you made it a point to make yourself appear to have a vast knowledge of the arts with your long long time ago statement, I thought I would check. It's obvious by your posts you don't know as much as you would like people to believe you do. I'm not saying everyone your age doesn't know what they are talking about. Sir5cEntss is only 17 but he understands, so where is the disconnect with you and javaman?

If you think of twirling a sword between your fingers like a pencil as a trick, then you who think that is a trick should just learn the art and forget the tricks.

I do learn the art and I don't practice tricks. It's called educating someone so they don't make a PAINFULL mistake.

What I think of as a trick is doing a full 360 degree circle and switching hands, as java stated.

I kind of find it hard to believe that 'tricks', the basic moves that train you, are inappropriate.

So how is the first quote by you a basic move that train you? It's not. The simple fact is you don't understand the full extent of what you are training yet. There is also the fact that you have had no sword training, I have only begun Kendo recently. is a far cry from knowing enough about the sword arts to understand why these tricks are truly pointless, and that makes your argument pointless.

You shouldn't argue points you have no understanding of, listen and learn.

[This message has been edited by laf7773 (edited 06-19-2004).]

#112042 - 06/21/04 10:11 AM Re: Blade tricks and skills
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Denton, Tx, USA
h3llf1r3,

Something that may help you communicate with those of us who have been doing sword arts for awhile is to understand that most folks in the traditional sword arts community are old foagies. 30 to 50 or so. Some considerably older.

We have also in some cases been doing these arts longer than you've been alive. Not myself mind, I'm only working on my 7th year of Muso Jikiden Eishin ryu. Having been 22 not all that long ago, I remember what it was like not to be taken entirely seriously by my seniors. It was a darnable nuisance. Turns out that at least to some degree it was justified however.

Try to keep an open mind and read what you are being told. While you may know a lot, some of us know a great deal more than you do.

#112043 - 11/21/04 02:48 PM Re: Blade tricks and skills
Anonymous
Unregistered

If blades werent meant to have fun with in order to learn, then how do you explain the Balisong or in leymans terms the butterfly knife? You are supposed to have fun learning the Balisong technique. I have persued the art of the Balisong for over 14 yrs now and I have had much fun learning the art.

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Charles Mahan, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga