FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 33 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bartfast, ZapEm, AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc
22906 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 9
AndyLA 5
futsaowingchun 4
VDJ 2
FrankyFruits 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
The Karate punch
by Dobbersky
08/12/14 05:14 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Dobbersky
08/11/14 05:03 AM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
A post for those who might become martial artists.
by AndyLA
08/06/14 07:25 AM
Forum Stats
22906 Members
36 Forums
35571 Topics
432473 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#11182 - 09/05/03 12:19 AM One Inch Punch
Raven Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sin City
Does anybody know the one inch punch technique...well bruce lee used it(not sure if he invented it,doubt it)...to those who do know it ( i don't know how to explain it) But basically i was trying it out and well I hit with the top knuckles...then the bottom knuckles...but when i do the bottom ones..its more of a push then a hit upwards...so I don't know if this is correct, thanks guys for listening
Nevar

P.S. I hear some people in JKD boxing push?/hit downwards instead of upwards...i don't know how but they do...maybe they hit with the bottom knuckles then switch to the top ones.

#11183 - 09/05/03 05:22 AM Re: One Inch Punch
wrwakefi Offline

Loc: London, England
I'm no expert, but... try a Wing Chun school, and after a few years you may be taught it! Otherwise, here's my technique, I'm not saying it's 100% right, or better than anyone elses for that matter, it's just how i do it OK :-)

Here's some background; you need to involve a good stance, your back muscles (the ones that are stretched by grabbing a railing infront of you with your feet under the railing and leaning backwards!), and explosive energy.

Using the right hand...
Start with a loose fist. Imagine holding a bokken for instance. (So the palm is facing to the left). and the wrist is tilted down, so the imaginary bokken is towards your oponent.

Now comes the hard part!

Your wrist flicks upwards so the bottom two to three knuckles connect with the target, and your hand clenches tightly on impact. those back muscles come in too and your whole shoulder seems to shoot forward through the target. If you just use you arm muscles it's got no power, you can generate enormous amounts of power if involve your back.

Not a great explanation but hey it's a start.
I also imagine my chi exploding from my fist THROUGH the target and blasting a hole in the wall behind it, rather than imagining my chi shooting INTO the target which i sometimes find generates more of a 'push'.

Other than that check out the link of my Wing Chun school there are some interesting articles there, under Enlightenment and then Articles.
http://www.everyonekungfufighting.com/

Take care, & good luck :-)

#11184 - 09/05/03 01:06 PM Re: One Inch Punch
Bossman Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chatham Kent UK
Try this:
Stand left side forward in natural stance toes barely gripping to the floor, place the bottom knuckles on the the partners chest, push backwards through the right foot to the floor and use that push to "vibrate" the hips, link the hip vibration in a whip like motion to the punching wrist to "hammer and screw" the first two knuckles down and round into the target to either push through (for a push) or to the centre of the target for a focussed hit (will keep his feet still and "whip" his spine).

On the solar plexus is more effective but a little dangerous.

I would strongly advise against practising this too often as one day you will meet someone with an undiagnosed heart condition.

Steve Rowe

#11185 - 09/05/03 01:44 PM Re: One Inch Punch
UKfightfreak Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: San Francisco
There is a pretty good book, well it's panflet size really but its cheap and good all the same.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0918642027/ref=sr_aps_books_1_1/202-5934668-0483063

#11186 - 09/05/03 01:48 PM Re: One Inch Punch
Sweeney Offline

Loc: New York, USA
I didn't stick around in Ving Tsun to be taught it formally, but I have had some informal coaching/instruction. I believe that the energy must start in the hips, as Bossman explains, although I think of it as more of a ripple than a vibration. It's kind of like a tsunami or "tidal wave": it's just a ripple out in deep water (down at the hips) but the energy transmitted to the final point of impact is surprisingly great. In truth, all punches should emanate from the hips, something that is taught in most martial arts schools (I was exposed to this teacing in Okinawan karate lomg before I tried Ving Tsun).

The closest I've ever come to the one-inch punch in a real street encounter was this: several years ago, while in a fairly aggressive phase during certain life events, I was walking in New York's crowded Penn Station at rush hour. Approaching me at high speed was a large beefy guy who had a "me-first" bearing. People were getting out of his way and he seemed to be enjoying it or at least taking it for granted. I suppose I could have shifted to the left to accommodate him, but there was something really annoying about his demeanor, so, as we quickly approached collision, I pretended not to notice him. At the same time, I started that little ripple from my hips, timed in such a way as to have it reach my right shoulder just as he was going to slam into it with his. The guy outweighed me by at least 50 punds, but when our shoulders met he was spun around twice and didn't even know where to look for me once he'd gotten his bearings. I just kept walking. I'm sure he had fully expected that the mere momentum of his forward movement and his large mass would have sent me flying, but he did not anticipate the "one-inch shoulder strike." In retrospect, I should have avoided the encounter, although no harm was done, it never escalated, and he may have learned a lesson. And it was fun. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

#11187 - 09/05/03 02:00 PM Re: One Inch Punch
charles mckey Offline
Veteran

[QUOTE]Originally posted by UKfightfreak:
There is a pretty good book, well it's panflet size really but its cheap and good all the same.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0918642027/ref=sr_aps_books_1_1/202-59346 68-0483063
[/QUOTE]

If anyone from the UK is thinking of getting a copy, this place http://www.martialart-superstore.starwebz.com/ has it for 5.00, with free delivery (within the UK). (From the homepage go to "catalogue" and then "Bruce Lee Books").

I'm not tight, but I think Amazon's shipping rates are a little ott - if I can save any of you chaps paying them, my work here is done [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

[This message has been edited by charles mckey (edited 09-05-2003).]

#11188 - 09/06/03 01:39 PM Re: One Inch Punch
Anonymous
Unregistered

A combination of Boss man's and wrwakefi's principles will work.

Personally I don't think Bruce Lee told anyone about his one inch, two inch punch so you are wasting your time asking. If you wan to develop such a punch you will have to think about the mechanics of the body on you own.

If he did all of these people who have tried to benefit (business wise)from claiming that they know these techniques would have been well known like Bruce himself.

Even if you do find out it's secret you won't be able to do it like Bruce Lee. <<<Just giving you a wake up call

[This message has been edited by Shotokan (edited 09-06-2003).]

#11189 - 12/06/04 09:53 PM Re: One Inch Punch
Anonymous
Unregistered

one inch punch.. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG] its just a basic wing chun punch. Its not in the first form, but it was shown to me in my first month. It doesn't start in your hips... Most shaolin punches start in your heel. Bruce was just using a basic wing chun punch.. nothing fancy... well if your not a wing chun fighter it may look fancy.
The basic principle behind the punch is "turning the horse". Its not that hard to learn. I will tell you that most wing chun fighters I see don't user/understand it. Allot of people who blow smoke..

#11190 - 12/06/04 10:11 PM Re: One Inch Punch
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
Bruce developed the 1,2 and 6 inch punch with James DeMille. However, as later revealed by Demille, its a publicity stunt. A tool to boost enrollment. Its likely that you will get yourself hurt. This was later realized and removed from the JKD curriculum.

#11191 - 12/07/04 01:25 AM Re: One Inch Punch
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by monji112000:
one inch punch.. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG] its just a basic wing chun punch. Its not in the first form, but it was shown to me in my first month. It doesn't start in your hips... Most shaolin punches start in your heel. Bruce was just using a basic wing chun punch.. nothing fancy... well if your not a wing chun fighter it may look fancy.
The basic principle behind the punch is "turning the horse". Its not that hard to learn. I will tell you that most wing chun fighters I see don't user/understand it. Allot of people who blow smoke..
[/QUOTE]

if it is so EASY to learn where are all those brucie wanna be pretenders showing off their so called skill in every show and tv apperance as possible ?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga