FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 40 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
jwwmantis 2
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Chum Kiu's double Tan Sau motion
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:08 AM
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Chum Kiu's double Tan Sau motion
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:08 AM
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35592 Topics
432527 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 8 of 11 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#111408 - 01/15/05 08:41 AM Re: The new world weapons
Anonymous
Unregistered

And that's a bad thing?!

Let me draw a parallel here:
I make artwork (or so I've been told) by digital means (chiefly).
The debate "digital vs. traditional art" is quite similar to this one.
- digital is more accessible
- digital is quicker
Some say "that's not art; it can never rival with oil on canvas"
If we have the means to do something BETTER and FASTER, is it not uttely stupid NOT to use them?

What the "new world weapons" lack is respect, but imagine 1000 years from now, when firearms will be the swords of today. It's just a matter of time.

Point Two:
Whether it's with a thermonuclear bomb, a shotgun, a katana, a kitchen knife or a rusty nail, it's still killing. Do you think guns take the drama out of death?
- Would one be more able to kill with a gun than a sword? Could very well be.
- Would one be more willing to kill with a gun than a sword?

Conclusion time.
Human civilization is all about evolution: we do things better and better, and we get better and better at doing things better.
What we must avoid is being pinheaded.
What we must remember is the memory of the ones before us, and that without them, we wouldn't be here.

#111409 - 01/15/05 03:35 PM Re: The new world weapons
Anonymous
Unregistered

i apologise here if it is straying a little from what people are saying, but can you shoot another bullet out of the air? it's almost impossible to do, however you can parry an attacking sword, so really guns are used simply for killing, where as a sword can be used for self defence

#111410 - 01/15/05 04:33 PM Re: The new world weapons
Anonymous
Unregistered

i apologise if this is goin a bit off what people have said, but when somebody swings a sword at you you can block it if you have training, however with a gun, no matter how much training you get, you can't shoot another bullet out of the air, also sword training is much more honourable, and if you have the patience to train with a sword then you have enough honour to not use it for killing, so how can people say that swords are made for killing. Again i apologise if this has gone off track of what people have said.

Dale

#111411 - 01/15/05 10:20 PM Re: The new world weapons
Anonymous
Unregistered

Gentlemen, I believe we are missing the point here. A sword is a weapon, just like a gun, weapons are meant for killing. No matter what you use, a gun, a club, a sword, etc its still an instrument to slain your fellow men. There is nothing honorable in murder. The honor is in your caracter, in your heart. Defense? You mean that you plan on parrying your EVERY ONE of your opponent's cuts? Please! Eventually you'd had to make a cut of your own to end the fight or you'd lost the duel. No matter how much you revere the blade, it is still an instrument of death, nothing more. Not much different than a gun or a bow.

C. Roman

#111412 - 01/19/05 06:21 PM Re: The new world weapons
Anonymous
Unregistered

i beleive that the sword is faster than the gun if used properly for the sole reason the gun stops and starts the sword is a continuouse motion. it took skill to weild a sword with that great of accuracy. now adays in a war the nukes do enough damage to targets they dont have to hit it for like a 6 mile radius. and no samurai may have bullied but the real thugs were ronin and ninja

#111413 - 02/05/05 02:41 PM Re: The new world weapons
Anonymous
Unregistered

going back a bit, when people are saying that samurai are thugs (i'm not saying i know alot about samurai) but the samurai lived by a code of honour they were tought that if they drew their sword and didn't kill anybody with it then you must comit suicide, while this sounds like being a bit sick, it teaches you not to draw your sword in anger, if i have got anythng wrong here then i apologise

#111414 - 02/05/05 04:19 PM Re: The new world weapons
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Denton, Tx, USA
Um Dale? Think about it for a second. If you can't draw your sword without killing someone, how do you clean it? How do you train? How do you have a new saya made? How do you have it polished?

The idea that they had to kill someone is just a silly idea. The idea that all samurai in all regions of Japan in all timeframes did anything the same way or had the same code of ethics is also silly. You need to do study up on history a bit.

#111415 - 02/05/05 11:31 PM Re: The new world weapons
laf7773 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Limbo
We have a "code" we are to follow in the military too. Look at some of the stupid crap we pull.

I've also read in a couple different articles that the samurai's "code of honor" didn't originate until more peaceful times in Japan. Kind of a way to show their worth in a time when their "value" was diminishing due to living in a more peaceful period.

#111416 - 02/09/05 01:22 PM Re: The new world weapons
Anonymous
Unregistered

i dont believe that a weapon is innately honorable or that weapons have any honor at all, what i do believe is that the range of a weapon makes it better or worse, personal or impersonal, in other words all long range weapons **** . whats lost with a a bullet from sixty feet is the personal part of with a close rang weapon sword or even a gun you get to feel the pain and watch as life slips out of another but from twenty meters or in the case of bombs even more than that you lose most of that.

#111417 - 02/09/05 03:35 PM Re: The new world weapons
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Denton, Tx, USA
[QUOTE]Originally posted by seven7:
whats lost with a a bullet from sixty feet is the personal part of with a close rang weapon sword or even a gun you get to feel the pain and watch as life slips out of another ...[/QUOTE]

Dude. Keep writing stuff like that and people are gonna start thinking you need thearpy.

Page 8 of 11 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 >

Moderator:  Charles Mahan, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga