FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bartfast, ZapEm, AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc
22906 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 6
AndyLA 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
VDJ 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Recent Posts
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Dobbersky
08/11/14 05:03 AM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Forum Stats
22906 Members
36 Forums
35572 Topics
432478 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#111348 - 06/01/03 11:22 AM Re: The new world weapons
Yoseikan Student Offline
Veteran

Loc: UK
No. Justifiable and honourable are two concepts that are capable of being wholly unrelated. I stand by my remarks.

#111349 - 06/01/03 11:23 AM Re: The new world weapons
Yoseikan Student Offline
Veteran

oh, btw, i have had experience with guns, but not rifles - shotguns. To be honest they scare the sh*t out of me.

#111350 - 06/01/03 08:07 PM Re: The new world weapons
evil Offline

Loc: Tucson
Yoseikan, by "justifiable" you seem to mean an excuse for one's bad behaviour. plus "bad people do bad things. it's just that simple" is incorrect. things aren't always black and white, there are always shades of gray. a young man who defended his friend by killing someone still killed someone. though he was "justified" it's still wrong. but does that make him a bad person for killing? who's to say? you've got to remember that people make choices that are good, bad and indifferent, but they are still only people. another of your statements, "weapons when used to hurt or kill are BAD THINGS," is completley incorrect. weapons are MADE to hurt and kill people, they are tools, and when they hurt and kill they are tools doing what they were made for. they don't become "bad things" once they are used. and yes i have fired guns before; luger 9mm, .38 special, m-16, 30-30 and a 12-guage shotgun slugs and buckshot. btw slugs are personal favorite.

[This message has been edited by evil (edited 07-13-2003).]

#111351 - 06/01/03 08:31 PM Re: The new world weapons
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was raised by an ex-marine sgt. and avid gun collector. All of us(mother,brother,sister) were taught to shoot. I began learning to shoot at the age of 7,with a bb gun.Most of my shooting experience is with pistols.Bladed weapons scare me more than guns-blade weapon is 10 times more likely to kill you than a gunshot.
I agree with evil(never thought I would say that), guns&swords are tools.They do not perform value judgements or have intelect since they are inanimate objects.

#111352 - 06/01/03 08:32 PM Re: The new world weapons
Yoseikan Student Offline
Veteran

Yoseikan, by justifiable you seem to mean an excuse for one's bad behaviour.

No, I mean an individual's reasoning behind a particular action. For example: the Hiroshima bombing was justified by Truman. You may accept or reject that justification. My understanding of the word honourable does not include such an act as detonating a nuclear weapon on a city. However i'm willing to accept that a reasonable person could have made that decision, even if I disagree with it.

plus bad people do bad things. it's just that simple is incorrect. things aren't always black and white, there are always shades of gray. a young man who defended his friend by killing someone still killed someone. though he was justified it's still wrong. but does that make him a bad person for killing? who's to say? you've got to remember that people make choices that are good, bad and indifferent, but they are still only people.

You misinterpret my meaning. I did not say my statement exhausted all possibilities. To say bad people do bad things is not a defiance of logic. They do. My point was that the weapon cannot be blamed in itself, any fault lays at the feet of the decision maker. I accept that I expressed myself poorly.

another of your statements, weapons when used to hurt or kill are BAD THINGS, is completley incorrect. weapons are MADE to hurt and kill people, they are tools, and when they hurt and kill they are tools doing what they were made for.

A weapon is an emanation of man's intent to inflict harm upon another man, as such I believe my statement to be valid. Again note the blame on the individual and not the inanimate object. I also accept that that might not have been made clear earlier. I think my words are closer to yours in this light.

This doesn't make training with weapons bad, it makes using them to hurt people bad. Using weapons may be deemed necessary in a particular circumstance by an individual e.g. me. I can justify my use of the weapon, but I gain no 'honour' from using the weapon. This does not necessarily make me a bad person. The word bad as I use it, stems from my own personal value judgement system. I would suggest that it is possible for anyone to accept that a bad person does bad things, and this may include the use of a weapon.

These things that I say do not contradict, and it is not a case of doublethink. They merely exist alongside eachother.

The main point is that to class one type of device intented to hurt and kill above another by labeling it 'honourable' is ludicrous. Its self admiring rubbish. Killing is bad as is hurting, regardless of the methodology.

[This message has been edited by Yoseikan Student (edited 06-01-2003).]

#111353 - 06/01/03 09:16 PM Re: The new world weapons
evil Offline

Loc: Tucson
thank you for clearing that up. point taken. but personally i don't think "good" and "bad" have anything to do with it as they are merely abstract concepts.

#111354 - 06/13/03 02:40 PM Re: The new world weapons
martial_life Offline

Loc: Elkton, SD, US
Evil-I believe the "K-bar" is a combat utility knife of the Marine Corps. I have one, my father(a Marine who went to the Army and became an Airborne Ranger) has one, and it is a good knife, though not a firearm.

#111355 - 06/15/03 09:56 PM Re: The new world weapons
Ender Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
I think this is all just a question of morality. The problem with guns is that any punk can go buy a saturday night special and do a driveby in front of your house (and chances are he wont get caught), whereas with bladed or stick weaponry, there is SOME skill that is required before you can use it properly. It takes longer to learn to use these without killing yourself in the process (as many have done with kama, in particular one guy who tried to fuse together kama's with nunchaku - not a pretty death).

The training one undergoes with simpler weapons usually leads to them becoming a better person, while gun usage does not. Thus, guns are a quick and easy road to power and proficiency in violent confrontations.

Honor has nothing to do with it. true, the Samurai were vaery much just snotty rich kids who thought they were above the rules and were well trained in killing arts - not a good combo. The only difference between the age old samurai and todays street kid is that at least the Samurai had SOME kind of honor code, even if many of them completely disregarded this. Thugs today have no value.

Its all about money these days. Humanity is quickly giving way to Currency. Many people are bickering about the cost of the collar these days. What about the cost of life? It would seem that that is the exchange rate that has dropped the most in recent decades.

I don't think it'd the method of weaponry we should worry about, but moreover the driving forces behind ANY weaponry. If somone really wnats to hurt you, they WILL hurt you. Knife, gun, sword, staff. Doesnt matter. If the intent is there, people will find a way, and dont thinka staff or sword or whatever can be ANY less devastating than a gun.

Even if we do get rid of all weapons, thugs will still be thugs, and violence will still be a problem. Dont blame problems on guns, or even be afraid of the guns. Be afraid of the driving forces that compel people to use such weapons. This is our enemy. Our own Malice.

#111356 - 06/16/03 11:55 PM Re: The new world weapons
Jamoni Offline
Veteran

Loc: St. Louis, MO, USA
Ender, AAAAARRRRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!
There. Now, you think a knife is harder to use than a gun? You are WRONG. Not gonna bother telling you why. I'll let you figure it out. Kama/Nunchuku death? I don't believe you. You don't think firearms training imparts a code, or teaches you anything good? Dude, most people get taught to shoot by their dad or grandpa, and it's good times away from the women to show the boy how good men act.
One thing you said does make sense, and that is that it's the INTENT to do harm that should be focused on, rather than the means of doing so. However, this intent can spring from social and economic pressures, poor upbringings, the influence of drugs and alcohol, mental illness, or just plain being an arse. So if we can't control access to weapons (and we CAN'T) and if we can't control people's intentions to do violence (and we CAN'T), then what's left?

#111357 - 06/17/03 11:00 AM Re: The new world weapons
Ender Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Control how you react.

[This message has been edited by Ender (edited 06-17-2003).]

Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 ... 10 11 >

Moderator:  Charles Mahan, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga