FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 46 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
Marcus Charles 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 11 of 11 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11
Topic Options
#111438 - 03/29/05 11:07 PM Re: The new world weapons
Anonymous
Unregistered

Modern weapons are the best weapons around. The ancient weapons were better in the fact that they were part of mental, spritual, and physical development.

#111439 - 03/30/05 04:24 AM Re: The new world weapons
glad2bhere Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Lindenhurst, Illinois USA
I think I understand what the discussion is about, but I am pretty concerned with how much opinion is being thrown around without a lot of history behind it.

For instance, there is a lot of talk about how effective a sword is in the modern world. Apparently people in this discussion have forgotten that in many countries around the word swords and machetes are still used to settle disputes.

On the other hand, whether its romantically satisfying or not the introduction of the firearm by the Dutch and Portugese effectively spelled the end of classical warfare in Japan, China and Korea beginning in the 1500-s. Reason for this? The firearm WAS easier to use! A farmer with 90 days training could kills a swordsman with a lifetime of training.

I guess where I am going with this is that maybe there needs to be a bit more use of facts and a little less "labeling" of this or that as "good" or "bad". Historically anyone who didn't stand toe-to-toe with their enemy and duke it out was considered some kind of coward. But this status changes radically as one moves from circumstance to circumstance. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

#111440 - 03/30/05 06:29 PM Re: The new world weapons
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just in case anyone cares I'll post. Listen guns are just fine. Swords are just fine. Do you get that? I'm saying that sometimes it's okay to use a gun others a sword. It is all just in personal opinion/need. I do admit I consider swordsmanship honorable and not gunmanship. I think after much thinking it depends on the person's skill set. If you specialize in handguns you are a serious fighter, if your a swordsman your just as serious. You need a whole lot of disipline for both items.

#111441 - 04/01/05 03:48 PM Re: The new world weapons
Anonymous
Unregistered

while it does take a lot longer to learn martial arts than it does to learn to shoot right. as harrison ford proved in raiders of the lost ark (i think it was that one) while useing swords is very cool and all, when one is holing swords at ready i could juist shoot him i win.

#111442 - 04/05/05 01:52 PM Re: The new world weapons
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Muse Swordsman:
I believe that todays weapons such as guns and bombs are the lowest form of weaponry. A child can pull a trigger or press a button. Old world weapons(staffs,swords,the body)are true art forms and take practice over years of training to master . I just want to know if there are others out there who feel how I do. [/QUOTE]

Not so. Fighting with firearms and grenades (or 'bombs') is just as skillful.

It is true that a child can pull a trigger, but a child can't shoot worth a damn. It takes skill not only aim, shoot, control recoil, and operate the gun properly, but there is also a tremendous amount of skill involved in avoiding being shot through use of tactics, proper cover, etc.

Any weapon is an extention of your body and can be used as simply and ineffectively, or as artfully and surgically, as is demonstrated by the skill of the wielder.

#111443 - 04/10/05 10:30 AM Re: The new world weapons
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'd love for you to bring this argument to a accomplished special forces soldier, or a navy seal, or any military personell who kept their cool in times of war to save people like you's asses.

Firearms require a great deal of skill to use, moreso even than swords. This goes towards maintaining, reloading, aiming, right breathing and movements, state of mind, positioning, fixing jams, leading targets.

What about overall tactics? Developing fireing lines, looking for cover, staying behind fireing lines, complex advancement and retreating under fire. This is just small teams with small arms, now throw chance of airstrikes, grenades, boobytraps, snipers, anything into the mix. That is much more intense than leading troops in an ancient battle.

Guns are easy to learn, but take time to master. Combat marksmanship is more than just aiming and shooting, it's keeping a sight picture while moving, controlling recoil while moving, maintaning and reloading under fire, keeping an effective stance while fireing (yes, there is footwork to marksmanship).

And that is just a grunt with a rifle. Now lets think about the snipers, they have to deal with compensating wind and gravity, timeing their breath, keeping quiet and absolutly still for days on end.

As much as you would like to believe, even the most accomplished soldier in a stealth situation would perfer a silenced m9 to a knife.

#111444 - 04/10/05 11:00 AM Re: The new world weapons
laf7773 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Limbo
Don't forget shooting under stressful situations. You would be amazed at how many people can't hit a target 3 yards in front of them when their heart rate is up. I've seen people fail the M16 shoot simple because they couldn't keep their eye focused on the front site through the rear aperture, they kept blurring out.

People keep wanting to reduce shooting to it's most basic, pulling the trigger. Like i have said many times this isn't a proper comparison. If you reduce sword fighting to it's most basic anyone can swing a blade. It's how you use each weapon and the tactics and techniques involved that require training.

#111445 - 05/04/05 04:30 AM Re: The new world weapons [Re: laf7773]
Sifer2 Offline
Stranger

Well in my opinion Swords an other weapons used in the Martial Arts are certainly more romantic. Fencers can duel back an forth an have fun but Guns only kill. That's not to say Guns are bad because they are simply a tool to be used. As for whether it takes skill to use a Gun I would say yes. Especially a weapon like a Rifle. Proper breathing, grip, squeeze the trigger. There is concentration an skill involved in using a Firearm. If there was not then it would not be an Olympic Sport. But in the real world people dont have epic Gun Battles back an forth or have a Showdown at High Noon. Sometimes its best to just take a reality check an see the weapons for what they are. Respect them an use them properly an just hope others do the same.

Page 11 of 11 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11

Moderator:  Charles Mahan, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga