FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 51 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Dobbersky 2
MattJ 2
royal 2
UKfightfreak 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#111163 - 06/01/03 08:39 AM Re: Parallel evolution?
Jamoni Offline
Veteran

Loc: St. Louis, MO, USA
I have to disagree about the deadliness of a slash versus a thrust. A slash is far more likely to be blocked by something non-vital coming in. Sure, it sucks to get your arm mangled, but it's better than beheading. Also, a slash to the torso is more likely to be stopped by a rib. Also, a thrust travels a straight line, making it difficult to judge distance, and very quick. It is also more likely to penetrate deep enough to do real damage (heart, lungs, liver, etc). I agree that a slash probably has more initial stopping power, but the thrust is more "deadly".

#111164 - 06/01/03 03:46 PM Re: Parallel evolution?
Vulk Offline

Loc: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Afric...
[QUOTE]Originally posted by nekogami13:
Response to several posts-in no particuar order:some of you seem to be laboring under the misapprehension that the sword arts were developed for dueling.They were not.They were developed for battlefield use.Yes, even western arts that fencing came from were once battlefield arts.[/QUOTE]

True, and yet the irony is that the Japanese katana is still a superb dueling weapon - possibly the best ever made. In fact, I would argue that the katana is actually better suited to dueling than it is to battlefield use. The design of the katana's blade makes it one of the best swords for cutting through flesh. It is fast to draw, it's deceptively quick, and it has a cutting tip that combines the range of a thrusting weapon with the power of a cutting weapon. All qualities that are very useful in a duel.

On the other hand, a katana is poorly suited to fighting someone wearing armour. Against armour, you ideally want a powerful thrusting weapon, not the fast drawcuts of a katana. A spear, lance or pike is probably the best choice. A pickaxe, like the Europeans used to put on the reverse side of many maces, can do the job. As for swords, a straight-edged blade that's better suited to thrusting will probably give you a better chance.

#111165 - 06/01/03 08:53 PM Re: Parallel evolution?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jamoni:
I have to disagree about the deadliness of a slash versus a thrust. A slash is far more likely to be blocked by something non-vital coming in. Sure, it sucks to get your arm mangled, but it's better than beheading. Also, a slash to the torso is more likely to be stopped by a rib. Also, a thrust travels a straight line, making it difficult to judge distance, and very quick. It is also more likely to penetrate deep enough to do real damage (heart, lungs, liver, etc). I agree that a slash probably has more initial stopping power, but the thrust is more "deadly".[/QUOTE]

A thrust is a straightline attack, I can just step to the side. Any attack has drawbacks. If your arm gets "mangled" you are dead. Shock sets in and you bleed to death, if you did survive-chances were you die from infection-remember, when blade weapons were king, medical science was very primitive.

#111166 - 11/17/03 06:05 PM Re: Parallel evolution?
bb39 Offline

as for suggested readings mine would be The Book Of The Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi (probably already suggested) and Hagakure also known as the book of the samurai by Yamamoto Tsunetomo. Both very good books that talk about the philisophical side of swordsmanship. Plus The Book Of The Five Rings has some cool moves. Thats all i know of on philosophy.

#111167 - 11/17/03 06:10 PM Re: Parallel evolution?
bb39 Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rand:
from what ive read and seen the duels didnt last long enough to block the swords never came in contact

the duel involved one or two hits average

atleast thats what ive heard

also the ninja didnt have any type of code like samurai samurai had bushido the ninja only harmed those that needed to be punished but they had no code to killing thes people
[/QUOTE]

I'd like to disagree with you on this. you make the ninja seem bad. they were doing the same job as the samurai but the samurai were used for war where the ninja were used for assasinations. Also ninja did have a code of killing, i forgot what it was called but i'm very sure they just didn't go around killing whoever they decided needed to be killed as samurai did do sometimes, even though bushido forbid it in some ways it also emplyed that it had to be done and was necessary to keep respect among those not as important as the samurai.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Charles Mahan, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga