FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 26 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 1
cxt 1
ergees 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#110283 - 06/25/04 08:47 PM Aikido and Law Enforcement
dj1023 Offline

Loc: Asia
Hello friends
Since aikido techniques aren't easy to learn(bearing in mind the particular circular steps/ movements in its techniques) yet effective in its own right

I was wondering based from your personal experience as a Law enforcement agent/ officer, about the arts effectiveness during arresting or apprehending a suspect?

With the arts syllabus that takes quite some time to master do police units take excuse the term " crash course aikido " for police officers?

On a different note:

In Indonesia the police units are trained mostly in striking arts such as karate, silat, kempo and jujutsu. Although they are trained in the arresting techniques most apprehensions are still very "amateur" (generally slugging the suspect into a somewhat near KO state then applying the control.
I find this interesting since American law enforcement officers and Europeans are quite efficient (respected and notorious) in their arresting techniques as compared to the Indonesian police force.

Thx

Hormat, damai, sejahtera
Peace, respect and joy

#110284 - 06/26/04 03:27 AM Re: Aikido and Law Enforcement
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a rather dim view of Martial Arts in general when they are "plugged" into Police Training curriculums, including Aikido. Aikido based systems are favored by Police Administrators because of liability, not because they are the most effective, practical or instructable.

The level of experience and skill required to pull off true Aikido is far beyond what is practical for police and corrections officers who might see the material once a year if they are lucky.

There are few if any Martial Arts that comprehensively address police needs by themselves.

This will no doubt be debated by Aikido people who feel that an armlock is Aikdo (wakegatame)and an armlock with a wrist compression is Aikido (Ikkyo) so all cops must be using the art and that makes it the best.

#110285 - 07/10/04 08:30 AM Re: Aikido and Law Enforcement
Anonymous
Unregistered

While I'm not an LEO, I did do Aikido for a few years. I enjoy that art but I don't feel like it was a plug and play solution for law enforcement. Like Fletch1 states, it takes a lot of practice to execute techniques correctly and even more to do them under stress. What's more, Aikido, at least as I practiced it, is very passive. As a civilian I had no obligation to stop a bad guy. But for an LEO, they are duty bound to confront and restrain lawbreakers and a passive martial art is simply too limiting.

I have read of Aikido instructors that have altered techniques after working with police departments, in an effort to develop a series of moves/concepts for LEOs. They seemed to have significiant success but they admitted that it no longer looked much like Aikido when it was all said and done.

I've had serveral friends who at one time or another, have served in LE. Thier experince with other officers indicate that most LEOs don't regularly train with either H2H or even firearms. They do just enough to pass thier firearms qualifications. This is unfortuante because that one time they really need to have sharpe skills, they often do not. I'm not trying to knock LEOs I'm simply saying that most PDs don't have a training budget capable of handling the kind of ongoing training I feel that LEOs should have and many officers are simply like the rest of us. Restricted by time and funds. Also many go for years and year without ever having a physcial confrontation and they can become complacient.

I think more and more PDs are attempting to up the ante these days and give thier officers more training and many are requiring thier officers to qualify with thier firearms as many as four times a year. This is a step in the right direction and for the sake of the LEOs I hope this trend continues.

#110286 - 07/11/04 07:44 PM Re: Aikido and Law Enforcement
loki Offline
Enthusiast

I believe that Aikido is a complex art.
As it is complex it may take years to master.
It is also one of the only arts that teach healing of the aggressor.

As stated by others,most police forces have limited H2H training. Hence the reasoning of having a gun.

Even the Asp training is very limited.

I have trained officers, and teach mostly: Boxing/a few low level kicks(Shin,ankle,knee)/the mechanics of chokes/the mechanics of locks/Balance disruptions/elbows/weapon mechanics.

Aikido & the law: Sure as a base study this sophisticated art. If time is on your side.Yet remember,that it being such a complex art,blending with an attack may sound easy, it is not.

A special unique instructor must be found, one that knows dirty tricks played on the street. One that knows weapons used.

I recently showed a Karambit,a very unique knife to a police officer.(Picture only)

He could not believe this knife and did not know much about this threat.

#110287 - 07/12/04 12:38 PM Re: Aikido and Law Enforcement
Anonymous
Unregistered

I can't say that I'm surprised that an officer hadn't see a Karambit before.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of law enforcement for the most part and I have a great deal of respect for the men and women doing hands on law enforcement. But they typically are not practicing any type of martial arts, boxing or what have you and most are not gun people. And while they are more likely to have a confrontation with a BG (bad guy) the are also more likely to not be doing it alone and they are always armed. This changes the dynamics of martial arts or any self defense system. And as I mentioned earlier LEOs have a duty to engage these guy while the rest of us do not.

It's a bit complex but I think that while the nature of the job brings LEOs into contact with BGs more than the rest of us, its in a completely different contex. For the rest of us our contact with the BGs is usually as a potential victim. (I don't guess I've ever heard of a uniformed police office being mugged!)

But as I uderstand it, pretty much all officers get some basics in H2H. If they stay in law enforcement for any lenght of time, they figure out what works for them and what doesn't. I believe that a few simple arm bars and wrist locks are generally what they end up with. That's a long way from being profecient in any martial art.

I would encourage any LEOs on the board to pursue as much H2H training as they can stand and to encourage thier peers and department heads to do the same.

#110288 - 07/12/04 08:12 PM Re: Aikido and Law Enforcement
loki Offline
Enthusiast

I agree Two gun: Most police officiers are so tied up with B.S. it is hard for them to do any extra activities.

B.S, being going to court, when someone IS guilty. Talk about wasting the taxpayers money.

Back on topic: Many officers have little time to do any H2H. Yet it being their job,I would of thought a knife like the Karambit would of beem known.

The OPP that I presently train was shown very little with the ASP. Retaintion was nil,so I should him some basic Kali.

After working with him for four years the guy can really go.

Kobun

#110289 - 07/12/04 09:59 PM Re: Aikido and Law Enforcement
Anonymous
Unregistered

That's great. Such an oppertunity should be avaliable to everyone on the thin blue line.

While most officers seldom have an oppertunity to stop a criminal during the commision of a crime, they often make arrest after the fact and they usually have several officers present. I know that doesn't always hold true and I know officers that have had to handle beligerent drunks on nearly every shift they work. But I think the vast percentage of the rank and file officers, and decetives don't find them selves in a physcial confrontation every day. While that's good, it also sometimes leaves them complacient and they lack incintive to train with all the BS you mentioned.

So I applaud those LEOs who squeeze in the time to get some quality training and once again encourage anyone in Law Enforcement to do so.

#110290 - 08/10/04 02:59 PM Re: Aikido and Law Enforcement
Anonymous
Unregistered

Many officers do not take the time to develop themselves in unarmed urban warfare. I have studied since I was 16 (30 now)a variety of martial arts, jiu-jitsu to black belt and many of others as a supplement. I just don't buy the whole "it takes years" to master idea. It does take years to master someone elses way of doing it, but not your way of doing it. Respect tradition, but don't be confined to it.

Police officers are taught just enough for a department to say "we taught them". Which is too bad for those that don't add to their arsenal throughout their life. But there does exist that hardcore inner circle of officers of every police department that are better at violence than the the hardcore street thug. They are why the half hearted arm locks of the incompetent officers work. Thugs do not know which type of officer they have run into and often are not willing to chance it. They would rather take the plea and get 1 day out of it than take the ass whoopin and carry the scars with them for life.

Now with my philisophical rambling out of the way... [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG], all arts have something to add to police work. Combatives for LE MUST be a hybrid version of many styles. No one style can do the job, but aikido is a good foundation. And I think also, that people get so caught up in Asian tradition or some other countries way of doing it, we forget about our own way of doing it. Americans are masters of taking something and making it better, much better. Street thugs survive great levels of violence every day with no martial arts training. Think about that.

#110291 - 06/11/05 09:57 PM Re: Aikido and Law Enforcement [Re: dj1023]
devinw Offline

Loc: Utah
There is a difference between martial arts (such as Aikido) and Defensive Tactics- I love them both and think both have uses. Let me share my humble opinion.

D.T- Must Emphasize speed, simplicity and effectiveness. can not take years to perfect.It MUST focus is on real world self-defense (real cases of violence against agents or officers) empty-hand tactics, striking tactics, handcuffing, baton tactics, Person searches, falling and ground tactics, edged weapon , Tear gas tactics, handgun retention or handgun disarming, armed attacks etc

Some exampes are located at - Defensive tactics courses

Certified Defensive Tactics Courses Modern Warrior

Martial Arts- Which I love as well;0) but takes time to learn and practice, most of us while practicing M.A do not worry about a handgun being strapped to our hip or ankle.

We do not worry about rolling around on the ground with a guy hyped on drugs reaching for the gun. While trying to punch you in the face.

With that said I do think after years of study and working out in the field you will learn quickly what will work and what will not and become effective at protecting yourself.

More Resources and Interestining Reading:

Use of Force Tactics and No lethal Weapons, paper published by Americans for Effective in Law Enforcement, in 1988.

Non-lethal Weapons: A Survey of Officers, published by Defensive Tactics Newsletter in Lakeland, FL: ISC Division of Wellness, in April 1993, vol. II, number 4;
USE-OF-FORCE TACTICS AND NON-LETHAL WEAPONRY

The truth is , sadly most Officers and Agents must pay out of their own pocket to get great training. Most departments do not have it in the budget.

My two cents;
Devin Willis

#110292 - 06/11/05 11:47 PM Re: Aikido and Law Enforcement [Re: devinw]
Fletch1 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Florida
Excellent points.

As inappropriate as martial arts are for LE however, there are many programs supposedly designed for and marketed to LE that are nothing more than repackaged martial arts.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga