FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT, sagat
22914 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 2
Zombie Zero 2
AndyLA 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
Recent Posts
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
Today at 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/07/14 07:01 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
09/02/14 06:26 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
Forum Stats
22914 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432492 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#110255 - 06/09/04 02:27 AM Handcuffing Methods
leescott50 Offline
Stranger

Loc: Saint Charles, Missouri, Unite...
For those on this board who are police
officers, what are some methods you use
for handcuffing/restraining subjects?

#110256 - 06/17/04 09:52 PM Re: Handcuffing Methods
Anonymous
Unregistered

yo, man.i dont think anyone here are police officers

#110257 - 06/21/04 05:42 PM Re: Handcuffing Methods
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not sure what you mean.

What position do I prefer as in hands on head, hands out or hands in back? Strong hand vs reactionary (weak) hand? Standing, kneeling or prone?

I prefer hands in back but occasionally use hands on head. I also prefer using my strong hand.

#110258 - 06/22/04 10:56 PM Re: Handcuffing Methods
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm not a police officer but have had many seek advice in the dojo for perfecting the handcuffing technique. Certainly it depends on the situaions. Officers will usually ask why a person was able to get out of or move more freely than they wanted them. Look at perfecting the use of restaints with Nikyo, Ikkyo, and Sankyo in combination with the use of pressure points on the arms, neck, etc. Keeping the wrist and the arm in "proper alignment" is essential. A good knee to the pressure point on side of the leg or kick to the groin area will also help the techniques. Much more could be said about he use of these techniques.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by leescott50:
For those on this board who are police
officers, what are some methods you use
for handcuffing/restraining subjects?
[/QUOTE]

#110259 - 07/01/04 05:09 PM Re: Handcuffing Methods
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm no cop but I guess you're not either. Which leads to my question...why you want to know? If you gonna cuff some dude you don't need the kind of restraint that cops use, crack his head and then cuff him. If you cuff a lady, maybe she's gonna let you. ;->

#110260 - 07/01/04 06:28 PM Re: Handcuffing Methods
nekogami13 V2.0 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Texas, USA
I am not a police officer, but I have had occasion to cuff someone who did not want to be. I work Retail Loss Prevention, so it wasn't anything kinky(for the most part [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG] )

I prefer them prone, my knee on their jaw line with their hand on the side I am kneeling on up behind their back "chicken winged"(sorry, do not know the jujitsu term for this).

#110261 - 07/01/04 09:10 PM Re: Handcuffing Methods
Anonymous
Unregistered

Interesting. If you are not a LEO and you are attempting to handcuff someone as part of your Security duties, then you need to think about your Use of Force restrictions.

Retail merchants are notorious for throwing you a set of handcuffs and you are your own on learning how and when to use them. You are limited by law on how much force you can use to protect someone's property.

"I prefer them prone, my knee on their jaw line" is going to jam you up sooner or later. If you are going to be a professional...learn specific Arrest and Control tactics designed to help you in court as well as the street.

#110262 - 07/01/04 09:21 PM Re: Handcuffing Methods
nekogami13 V2.0 Offline
Professional Poster

Police officers I have worked with showed that to me.
I am allowed to use the force necessary to ensure my safety, the safety of the subject. I am familiar with the State laws regarding use of force. Cuffs are only ever used when the subject attempts to flee or fights,which is around 1% of all shoplifters. After 12 years of experience in apprehending and detaining shoplifters, over 700 aprehensions, 12 years of never losing a case in court-I assure you I know what I am doing. Calling my professionalism into question is rather childish.

Most aikido techniques using wristlocks do not work. I have found better success with arm bars/locking out the elbow with the subject prone.
Placing my knee on their jawline secures their head-keeping them from moving without causing physical damage. I do not see what the problem is?

[This message has been edited by nekogami13 V2.0 (edited 07-01-2004).]

#110263 - 07/02/04 10:10 AM Re: Handcuffing Methods
Anonymous
Unregistered

After 12 years of experience in apprehending and detaining shoplifters, over 700 aprehensions, 12 years of never losing a case in court-I assure you I know what I am doing.

Excellent work. Continued success to you. My interest is in promoting a constructive coversation and exchange of ideas. Unfortunately, there are many people on these boards who spout questionable tactics to people who are looking to enhance their personal safety. That bothers me.

Calling my professionalism into question is rather childish.

That was not my intention and I apologize if it sounded that way. My point is that if you are going to use control tactics in your job, then it is only reasonable that you should seek out qualified instruction that deals not only with the mechanics of such holds, but the issues of liability as well. You did not mention where you received this training in your first post.

Police officers I have worked with showed that to me.

Now we are getting somewhere. Were these police officers qualified Use of Force instructors? Don't laugh at the question. The reson I ask is that the practice of kneeling on the jawline (head/ neck area) has been dropped in favor of directing the knee pressure away from that area and onto the upper back or between the shoulder blades...all due to liability issues resulting from real or false injuries claimed by suspects. This is the same general reason given for removing the pressure point at the hinge of the jaw (TMJ) from LEO academy curriculums.

Most aikido techniques using wristlocks do not work. I have found better success with arm bars/locking out the elbow with the subject prone.

I certainly agree with you there. Large or weigh bearing joints like the elbow, shoulder, hip and knee should be the priority.

Best wishes for your continued safety and success.

#110264 - 07/02/04 04:00 PM Re: Handcuffing Methods
nekogami13 V2.0 Offline
Professional Poster

I have no idea if the officers I worked with were certified anything. They showed me a tactic, it worked-I used it. Also consider this was roughly 16 years ago.

Not being exposed to the same thing LEO's are, I am not aware of legal issues regarding that tactic or the use of the pressure point at the hinge of the jaw(which is one of my favorites).

I have a background in MA's, that includes elements of aikido, jujitsu and exposure to BJJ. Most of the training I have is geared towards breaking/damaging the joints-not on compliance without imjury. I do not have training geared towards law enforcement use.

At least I didn't recommend the good ol' ground and pound or a neck crank! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga