FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 28 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
BUJU, Pilsungkarate, ALF, old1, Leonar
22928 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Ronin1966 3
ergees 2
Victor Smith 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 04:53 PM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 04:53 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Forum Stats
22928 Members
36 Forums
35583 Topics
432511 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 10 of 10 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10
Topic Options
#110148 - 10/11/04 10:19 PM Re: MA best for Law Enforcement
Doughnut Offline

Loc: Mid-west, U.S.A
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ajacks:
You need to seek out "Copkido" (PDS) Progressive Defensive System - Shawn Marando of the Boston PD...

He has a complete system street provin and tested techniques that are legal to use on the street against assalants or resisting badguys.

His traditional Styles consist of American Traditional HapKiDo 5th Dan, KunTao, Silat & Kali,

He has this system purley for police, military, security bodygaurd personel here is his email if your interested, I know he host seminars and loves his martial arts and is very willing to work with anyone who is willing to learn. copkido@yahoo.com />
In any note he my masters first black belt in america for Hapkido. And he comes up to visit us usually once per year to kick our buts and pass his style and theories apon us. and Fishing.

[/QUOTE]
"copkido"?... "American TRADITIONAL Hapkido"? God help us I cant speak to the arts themselves but can the names get any more ridiculas? I can't belive they would even be effecive advertising for the arts mentioned. Grotesque!

Doughnut

#110149 - 10/12/04 04:41 PM Re: MA best for Law Enforcement
Anonymous
Unregistered

While I have no first hand knowledge of Copkido, the name implies a strong origin from a single parent MA, which could be a problem.

The idea of a "technique" being legal and thus suitable for police is rather simplistic and misguided. Techniques being "legal" is relative to the given circumstances.

Another reason why Martial Arts are not necessarily the answer for cops.

#110150 - 10/29/04 09:31 PM Re: MA best for Law Enforcement
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have to add my two cents to this crap. As a former police officer I can tell you that Aikido will not do all the tricks in Law Enforcement. It is a fact that 90% of arrest go to the ground trust me I have been there. Aikido does have just alittle art on the ground. The most modern day police training I have seen use a art called Aiki-Jitsu. As you can see it takes the arm dominant and goose necks of the hand from Aikido and then employs the ground game of Jiu-Jitsu. I donít want to sound like a no it all but I have access to a lot of academyís all around the U.S. and in the Government, so I do know a lot about what is being taught these days.

#110151 - 11/04/04 05:31 PM Re: MA best for Law Enforcement
Anonymous
Unregistered

systema
krav maga
kenjute

#110152 - 11/24/04 06:08 AM Re: MA best for Law Enforcement
Anonymous
Unregistered

to my opinion the best law enforcement MA
would be TKD, jiu-jutsu, aikido, judo/greco roman wrestling, and/or hapkido.
I hope this helped. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

#110153 - 03/16/05 10:37 PM Re: MA best for Law Enforcement
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cato:
Choose whatever art suits you best, but I would advise either an art that is predominantly throwing, locking and pinning, such as aikido or judo, or alternatively a system of self defence that comes from a mix of such arts. but be warned, i am very biased toward such arts. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

Striking arts are every bit as good, but as a proffesional police officer they will land you in trouble every time.

Budo
[/QUOTE]

I agree to what you say, man. Because the arts fit to your body systems

#110154 - 03/26/05 05:48 PM Re: MA best for Law Enforcement
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kawinning:
I am looking to start a career as a police officer in the next couple of years and want to know what the best MA i could train in would be. I currently train in muay thai but have heard aikido and jui-jitsu are great for law enforcement personell. Any help would be appreciated as i am willing to put in the time to train in multiple disciplines.[/QUOTE]

Kawinning,

There has been some sound advice and some rambling.

For the past 17 years I have been involved with LEO & Security as a Deputy Sheriff, Prison Correctional Officer, Jail Correctional Officer, Body Guard, Security Guard, Security Consultant, Bouncer and now a Surveillance Agent so I know what works and what doesn't on the streets!

What is being taught to LEO from state to state varies and is mostly politically motivated by who knows who and what will keep the general public from thinking all LEO techniques are like the Rodney King incident!

So most of the powers that be will choose non-aggressive looking techniques from such styles as Aikido. It does not mean that the style they choose is the best for self-defense but best for the politicians to try and avoid negative publicity and law suites. That is why most LEO's train in some sort of fighting style on their own.

I think Florida Law Enforcement academies have a descent Defensive Tactics program because they did some research and put together a board of experienced LEO self defense instructors to come up with their Defensive Tactics Course who borrowed techniques from many different styles.

With that said as an experienced combat fighting instructor I can say that 3/4 of the graduates once out on the streets can't apply any of it because the course is to short and they did not continue to practice what they learned. So after their first real hand to hand encounter they search out the first martial arts school they can find only to once again be disappointed when the time comes to apply their ultimate martial art techniques.

Someone who has never experienced a 6í4 265 pound convicted felon on a cocaine/steroid rage or something similar doesnít have a clue to what real self-protection is all about. Pain compliance techniques will not work, as for locks & holds you will not be strong enough to administer nor will the technique itself just magically work as it does in the Dojo.

So my advice to you would be to keep up with the Muay Thai or try to find a Silat instructor near you and/or train in something similar to the ISR Matrix system, which there are a lot of them out there for LEO.

So in conclusion concentrate on Learning to fight the tough SOBís and learn the compliance locks & holds at the academy for the less formidable foes.

Sincerely,
Teacher: Eddie Ivester

#110155 - 04/28/05 10:50 AM Re: MA best for Law Enforcement
Anonymous
Unregistered

i agree wit karate kid. with aikido you dont use excessive force and the person wont really be able to overpower u. With aikido you can manipulate them into handcuffing postions.

I wouldn't do tae kwon do. no offense, just because it is more of striking and if they can take the hit then your screwed unless you use a kick to the crotch.

#110156 - 04/28/05 04:10 PM Re: MA best for Law Enforcement
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by warriormonk:
i agree wit karate kid. with aikido you dont use excessive force and the person wont really be able to overpower u. With aikido you can manipulate them into handcuffing postions.

I wouldn't do tae kwon do. no offense, just because it is more of striking and if they can take the hit then your screwed unless you use a kick to the crotch.
[/QUOTE]

Ok. Do you have professional experience in Law Enforcement, Corrections or Security work on which to base this opinion or does his idea just "sound good"?

Page 10 of 10 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga