FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 37 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 2
AndyLA 1
Matakiant 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
Yesterday at 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#109833 - 03/25/03 02:52 AM Re: Professional Conflict
Cato Offline
Veteran

Just to clarify for us Brits: What is the law regarding frearms over there?

In the UK you would need to hold a firearms licence (which can be, and most often is refused), any firearm would have to be stored on a secure metal gun cabinet bolted to your wall, there would be a limit on the type/quantity of ammo. you could have and if you ever discharged your firearm in public, never mind at a person, then you would be in deep poo.

I assume your "rules" are somewhat more relaxed [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Budo

#109834 - 03/25/03 06:43 PM Re: Professional Conflict
Jamoni Offline
Veteran

Loc: St. Louis, MO, USA
Cato, more relaxed is an understatement. Where I live, you need a permit to purchase a handgun, but not to own one. These are dependent on a police records check and a letter of recommendation from two non-felons. To purchase a long arm requires an "instant" background check that takes about 15 minutes. A concealed carry permit is difficult to obtain, but not impossible (if you have money and connections), We have firearms storage liability laws, but the method of storage isn't prescribed. Basically, if your kid shoots himself, you didn't store it right. Firearms discharge is illegal within city limits, unless you can show self defense. This doesn't really matter though, because you hear shots all the time. The cops usually don't bother with them. Bear in mind, I live in the city, where firearms laws are very strict. When I stayed in Louisiana, it was cash and carry, and concealed carry was legal for every non felon, WITHOUT A PERMIT.

#109835 - 03/27/03 02:53 PM Re: Professional Conflict
Ashton Offline

Loc: Nope
Jamoni, well said about the revolver, you hit the nail on the head. That is so true about more people getting killed by .22, also .25's as well. I guess they are cheap and easy to keep fed. And also I too think that in close quarters that "wheel gun" is mighty intimidating.
In the state that I live in, concealed carry permits as they are called are quite easy to get, cheap, about $25, and maybe a week or two waiting period and do not require any test, registration or record of the firearm that you wish to carry, you can carry as many and whatever you want. The permit is good for about four years. Now, I worked for the law enforcement agency that you get your permit through for five years before my present agency and I must admit that I have seen permits revoked on the spot...No bull crap, on the spot, one summer day I can recall, at a very busy service station packed with people on a very busy highway, I was filling my gas grille's propane tank in preparation for a barbecue party, coincidentally one of my Sgt's was also there waiting, we're talking and laughing and here some knucklehead pulls up being very mouthy and belligerent, reeking of alcohol, his pistol sticking out of his belt. Well, after a discussing a quick game plan and since supervisor's have radio's in their cars, we called for a marked unit to meet us at this gas station. Well, this Sgt happened to be in charge of the Division that handled carry permits. What a scene ! Guns and propane, a load of innocent civilians. And we're trying to "nicely" take this fellow into custody. Instant revocation...And the guy got charged with public drunk, disorderly conduct and well as violating one, well actually several of the conditions that you agree to when you get a permit. Gun taken on the spot. He'll never carry legally again, although he'll probably carry anyway. Would not have drawn attention if he had kept his mouth shut and his gun covered. So, it does work both ways.

#109836 - 03/27/03 08:16 PM Re: Professional Conflict
Jamoni Offline
Veteran

Training is the key. When in the service, I carried the M249 Squad Automatic Weapon (FN Minimi, to you europe types). No one else wanted it, even though it carried two hundred rounds and could cut down small buildings. They complained that "It just fires one shot, then jams!" Any pro who has fired these things knows where this is going. The 249 has a feed tray cover with a ratchet arm that advances the next round in the belt. Everyon simply opens the tray, loads the belt, closes the tray, and jacks a round into the chamber. all well and good, but the cam on the bolt carrier can only engage the ratchet arm if it is in the OPEN BOLT position when the feed tray cover is closed. Like all idiots everywhere, they forfeited a potential source of power because they couldn't use it right. TRAINING. The key to not being an idiot.

#109837 - 07/08/03 09:57 PM Re: Professional Conflict
Anonymous
Unregistered

Pistols I prefer 1911 .45's(result of being raised by an ex-marine).
For Home defense, pump action .12 gauge-psychological factor of sound from action working.

.22's kill because they are light weight, they tend to ricochet off of bone,causing round to pinball around inside of body,especialy head wound.

#109838 - 07/09/03 07:30 AM Re: Professional Conflict
Jamoni Offline
Veteran

Not truly MA related, but I am in the process of upgrading my Ruger 10/22. I've added a Bushnell scope, am putting finishing touches on a self-made competition style thumbhole stock with adjustable butt and comb, built in bipod, free floating barrel, additional receiver mounting lug, and whatever other touches I can think of. I'm going to purchase a 22-inch Alumalite Match barrel and a Volquartsen trigger/hammer/springs upgrade, all of which will have me driving tacks at 100 yards (not bad for a semi-auto .22). I'll let you know how it comes out.

#109839 - 07/31/03 08:27 AM Re: Professional Conflict
MAGon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Miami, Fl.
Fellows: My agency was recently absorbed into the new Dept. of Homeland Security. So we're being grandfathered from a regulatory to a LE function. Nothing has changed to date, but it's supposed to pick up speed after this coming Oct. AND YOU GUYS ARE SCARING ME HALF TO DEATH!!!! What the heck have the Fates shoved into my life now: Law suits, the media, worrying about Monday morning quarterbacking from sureveillance videos? Ye gods!!!!!!!!

#109840 - 08/30/03 01:43 AM Re: Professional Conflict
Doughnut Offline

Loc: Mid-west, U.S.A
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cato:
So, whilst I thoroughly enjoy the "harder" jutsu arts, I think it essential that I temper them with less severe styles as well.[/QUOTE]

I aggree with you that we fight as we train. That being said how often do we train in our work uniforms, or train with real force or any of those flying tackels or bites that can be seen at work. For that manner do we spend more time working on the complicated technical parts of our arts or the simple princibles that will save our butts IF we train them into our heads.
I think that though the least ammount of harm to the suspect/ offender is a good goal that a "Jutsu" approch to our "Do" arts is a the best way to help us reach that other goal of going home at night. Humanity towards our fellow man is good, lack of civil litigation is good, but then again so is surviving.

[This message has been edited by Doughnut (edited 08-31-2003).]

#109841 - 12/31/03 04:34 PM Re: Professional Conflict
John Sharpe Offline

Loc: HERMOSILLO, SONORA, MEXICO
REMEMBER, IT IS YOUR JOB TO RESTRAIN PEOPLE, NO PUNCH OR KICK THEM OR BREAK THEIR FACES. WHEN YOU STRIKE A PERSON YOU HAVE JUST PROMOTED YOURSELF TO JUDGE , JURY, AND EXECUTIONER. TRY TACTICS OF AIKIDO AND JUJUTSU. THEY HAVE WORKED FOR ME FOR 24 YEARS AND CONTINUE TO WORK.

#109842 - 01/15/04 06:16 AM Re: Professional Conflict
Big Bear Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northern Ireland
Folks this is going back into the post a bit but i thought it would be good to answer.

I have recently been told i was successful in joining the Police Force of Northern Ireland in which i start my training next month. I personally can't wait. I know that there will be a few (prob a lot more) hairy momments but i really am looking forward to it.

The reason i am posting is because a while back there was a question asked by Ashton i think, about the carrying of fire arms by the police of the uk. I know it isn't common practice in England, but in Northern Ireland it is. (no guesses as to why).

Sorry bringing up a point that was made well over a month ago but as i am sure you can understand, my interest in this part of the forum has increased dramatically as of late.

Cheers and take care,

Big Bear

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga