FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 42 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
Matakiant 1
cxt 1
ergees 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by cxt
10/10/14 10:08 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432509 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#10776 - 08/28/03 11:01 PM The real definition of a TRUE sensei.
CommonCents Offline

Loc: USA
So many people have a distorted view or idea of what a true sensei is like. I highly doubt any of them have even met a true sensei. Often they have images of "enlightened" person that say & do certain things, etc. Most people's criteria of a true sensei is not real, and is actually describing a Jesus Christ! Folks, NO ONE on this planet is like Jesus, nor can they EVER be! Not even the Dalai Lama can fit the "requirement" mentally set by most people!
I don't know where people get their ridiculous ideas (ie-movies?)about what a true sensei is, but it they must first know what it is to be enlightened & so on.
These same people also don't truly understand the true meaning of their MA system's courtesies & spiritual training.
There's no way they could, without actually LIVING life first.

I don't think most people would even recognize a true enlightened sensei if they met him/her. The typical modern martial arts instructors today cannot be described as true senseis. Theyre most likely the type who carry small weapons in their pockets, and/or harbor deeply biased prejudices and who would instantly regard a young minority to be a threat & not hesitate to shoot him/her.

The definition of a respectable, enlightened, TRUE sensei ==> someone who not only humbly learns what her/his sifu teaches, but can make sense of it. Someone who has been through the hoops, through hard times, has an honest heart, has stayed true to themselves through out all that, and has built themselves stronger from the bottom up. Someone who doesn't just parrot what her/his sifu says, but actually knows the meaning of it all...who can FEEL the true essence of their teachings. This would be someone who the people can look up to.
Do you wanna know an example of someone who IS a true sensei...a respectable model?

Willie "the Bam" Johnson!

NOT Rorion Gracie, NOT Ron "he paranoid" Prather, NOT Tony Blauer, NOT JKogas, NOT Richard Dmitri, and CERTAINLY not any of YOU.

I'd much sooner take a dump on all their heads & stuff used tampons down their throats, than to "respect" these people!

They may have effective MA systems, but they themselves are NOT exemplary people to model yourself after...nor to be heeding ethical advice from.

Be humble & open yourselves,
CommonCents.

[This message has been edited by CommonCents (edited 09-14-2003).]

#10777 - 08/28/03 11:12 PM Re: The real definition of a TRUE sensei.
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
And NOT YOU! A "enlightened Sensei" as you preach about would not come to a site of strangers speaking of his or his sensei's grandeur while trying to deface people who he really has no knowledge of. Practice what you preach. Also enlightenment is beyond a simple understanding of information. I can understand the merit of multitudes of techniques as can most MAst but this doesnt prove enlightenment its simply a fighters sense.

#10778 - 08/28/03 11:23 PM Re: The real definition of a TRUE sensei.
CommonCents Offline

I think you're perceiving my words incorrectly.

1st, I'm not referring to understanding of fighting techniqe, I'm talking about the spiritual lessons that some senseis try to impart onto their student.

2nd, my "defacing" of these other martial arts instructors IS founded. I DO know enough about these people that I'm referring to as NOT being true senseis. Otherwise, I wouldn't post.

I may not be a true sensei yet (I'm lower ranking), but at least I can recognized one.

Be humble & open yourselves,
CommonCents.

P.S. I did NOT say I was a true sensei, nor did I come here as one. Pay attention!

[This message has been edited by CommonCents (edited 08-28-2003).]

#10779 - 08/28/03 11:46 PM Re: The real definition of a TRUE sensei.
joesixpack Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Australia
Sen Sei - first born, a mark of respect for someone with greater ability or the baility to transmit knowledge - highly subjective.

Outside formal rankings, I understand we have different personal sensei.

Not me! Definitely not me!

As a matter of fact, JKogas is more of a contemperary of mine, when it comes to ethics - go to his site and see his links on philosophy - VERY similar to mine, and a rational, moral appraoch to ethics and rules (or what should be the ethics and rules). What? Do you have epistimological problems with Objectivism?

"Common Cents", you are saying, that you are not claiming to be great, heroic or paticularly of worth, therefore you can unabashedly criticise others, with assertions and without full knowledge. The lowest common denominator approach will not make you a "true sensei".

So you think these people are flawed - why not learn from their flaws, and isn't that a mark of being through the hoops - even though you haven't stated what is paticularly wrong with these people.

Having an effective MA system and teaching it with respect and dignity, and not controlling people, giving them advice, but not a solution to all of their problems seems quite professional and teacherlike to me. My sensei, who has taught me effective MA, made me think, challenged my beelifs, forced me to defend them and show him my disagreement with his, and has become like a relative to me, is mostly like that.

And why aren't these people like this?

#10780 - 08/28/03 11:48 PM Re: The real definition of a TRUE sensei.
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

You know me? You know Sensei Rhodes or Mr. Glasheen or Wadowoman? You know my buddy JKOGAS? You know Big Bear or Mr. V, or my old friend Sensei Lou? Thats funny seeing as you just registered as a user today. You must travel alot. On a website you couldnt possibly pretend to know someone and Ill tell you right now you damn sure dont know ME. You come here with a self righteous, pretentious, attitude with delusions of grandeur and expect to be warmly welcome well forget it pal. People like you talk without thinking and make unfounded remarks about things that they couldn't possibly know anything about. Also you dont have to tell me about being a lower rank because your statements made it quite obvious. There are white belts on this very forum with more class, and respect than you seem to possess or show and yet you come preaching of martial ethics?! Get real, get a life and get lost.

#10781 - 08/28/03 11:54 PM Re: The real definition of a TRUE sensei.
CommonCents Offline

Joesixpack....

I think you, like most others seem to be here, are hearing voices in your head. And like other, you are trying to quote me with things I DID NOT say. Once again, PAY ATTENTION.

I am NOT here to say these people aren't teacher-like, or whatever. I am NOT here to degrade others to uplift myself. I am NOT here to simply point out flaws in these people.

What I am doing here is setting the record straight as to what a TRUE SENSEI is, in order to dispel any false notions of one...while also stating examples of who AREN'T true senseis.

ChenZen...I did NOT say I know everyone HERE. I said I know those MA instructors I listed (ie-Tony Blauer, Rich Dmitri, etc).

Once again, PAY ATTENTION.
You're acting like the mind of a hypocritical child.

#10782 - 08/29/03 12:02 AM Re: The real definition of a TRUE sensei.
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

When you say "Definately not you" it applies to the people who read it and the names of the people you listed who frequently contribute here. Im simply fed up with amatuer people like yourself who come here spouting off at the mouth simply to cause anemosity. We dont need people like that here. JohnL is enough.(Just playing John) People like JKogas who consistently contributes a great deal of knowledge dont deserve to bashed by people who have contributed nothing. Your statements about the people here are grounded in nothing more than the need to make yourself seem knowledgable or important and its disgusting, rude, and ignorant.

#10783 - 08/29/03 12:03 AM Re: The real definition of a TRUE sensei.
joesixpack Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Australia
I actually did not quote you, and what's your point if my martial art is western fencing, boxing, or esepcially military CQB, and you are in the military?

Now, where did I "not pay attention"?

How can you know what they are like if you haven't trained, or here, even interacted with them?

Most people here would be willing to train with each other, given transport costs. Willing to learn from each other give each other respect. On the other hand, you are not being very open.

Now, what is your problem with each of these people? Why aren't they true senseis? "YOU (sic) know enough"? Like what?

#10784 - 08/29/03 02:19 AM Re: The real definition of a TRUE sensei.
javaman Offline

Loc: calgary, alberta, canada
A sensei: is a teacher.
the word itself has no actual connection to martial arts

anyone who teaches a martial art could be considered a sensei.

i suppose that anyone who teaches anything other than a japanese martial art should not use the word sensei; since it is a japanese word, but it's at their discretion, and I will address them by whatever they prefer, that's just good manners, in the martial arts world or anywhere else.

by the way, CommonCents, do you speak Japanese? Are you aware that Japanese shcool children call their teachers 'Sensei', regardless of the subject being tought? Even if it has nothing to do with MA? Ever even been to Japan? Even if you have, it's not right to create your own definitions for preexisting words, they already have meanings, look it up next time.

#10785 - 08/29/03 03:36 AM Re: The real definition of a TRUE sensei.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Don't feed the troll people!

Jkogas, do you know why you have been singled out? Have you whooped this guys ass or something? [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

This idiot definitely does not know me and I do not know him but having read three of his posts (and learnt zilch) and many of JKogas' (and learnt much) I know who I would rather train under/with.

I say again, don't feed the troll, he/she will get bored eventually.
Sharon

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga