FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 3
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
cxt 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#108183 - 10/21/03 10:11 PM Re: HELP!!!!!! Learning Pressure Points
Yojimbo558 Offline

Loc: Marina, Ca. USA
Hi there,

I understand your desire to learn and improve in the use of pressure points & as someone already pointed out, while they can make your techniques more powerful, they shouldn't be relied on.

On a separate issue but a related one, I agree that you should seek out an instructor. When you deal with pressure points you are utilizing these strikes to overload the organs and you're tampering with how they function.

A teacher will show you how to undo the damage that you're inflicting so that you will also know how to enhance your healing & recuperative abilities.

One of the practioner once shared his pressure point training with Hatsumi Sensei. When Hatsumi asked him what he did to counter the techniques...the guy misunderstood and thought he was referring to reversing a possible counter attack.

When Hatsumi clarified that he was referring to the countering of the pressure point techniques, he was horrified when the guy told him nothing. He had been wearing thicker glasses and had attributed them to age. Hatsumi revealed that in his case it was due to the zealousy with which he was pursuing pressure point attacks, putting undue stress on his organs that had resulted in his glasses thickening to help compensate for his worsening eyesight. After showing him how to do the counters...the individuals eye sight improved & returned to what it had been.

The point is simply...it's great to have an instructor to monitor what you're doing rather than wandering around blindly in the dark.

Eric

#108184 - 11/19/03 07:54 AM Re: HELP!!!!!! Learning Pressure Points
wingchun Offline

Loc: hagerstown md
*closest weapon to nearest target my friend.
lead side kick to shin/knee
finger jab to eyes/throat(do remember this can kill!)
*simplicity no fancey movements(he grabs your sleeve punch him in the throat he willl let go!)
*economy of motion( dont telegraph simple moves work best)
*always think about hitting( dont think I have to block then come back..NO! I will INTERCEPT!)

time and patient practice is key remember to simplify.

(the art of jeet kunee do basic 4 principles)

#108185 - 01/25/04 11:34 AM Re: HELP!!!!!! Learning Pressure Points
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wingchun:
*closest weapon to nearest target my friend.
lead side kick to shin/knee
finger jab to eyes/throat(do remember this can kill!)
*simplicity no fancey movements(he grabs your sleeve punch him in the throat he willl let go!)
*economy of motion( dont telegraph simple moves work best)
*always think about hitting( dont think I have to block then come back..NO! I will INTERCEPT!)

time and patient practice is key remember to simplify.

(the art of jeet kunee do basic 4 principles)
[/QUOTE]

Makes sense, but I am now beginning to question Bruce since his philosopy somewhat contradicts itself. Wouldn't the weapon further away be more powerful because it travel a longer distance? Close to close stuff is only something I would use at the beginning of a fight to create an opening. Oh and by the way punching bags, and speed balls don't hit back either [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

#108186 - 04/14/04 09:47 AM Re: HELP!!!!!! Learning Pressure Points
Dog Of War Offline

Loc: The Wastelands
Pressure Points are something I have been training since the first day in my art(San Soo Kung Fu).We have pressure points,what we call "pass points"-vital areas where death or crippling injury is the result,and what I call control points,and balance upsetters.Here are a few points,its up to you Judo kid to figure out which strike to use.These are the basics of most MA's:1.the top of the skull 2.the temples 3.the eyes 4.bridge of the nose 5.the 6.the side of the jaw 7.between the eyes(the third eye)8.the chin 9.the"grains of the neck"(for control).10.the windpipe 11.the collarbones 12.the heart 13.the solar plexus14.the diaphragm15.the liver 16.the spleen 17.the bladder 18.the groin 19.the inside of the leg(about four inches above the knee)20.the shin 21.the instep 22.the ankle
Targets from Behind opponent:
1.the base of the skull 2.the backbone 3.the shoulder blades 4.the kidneys 5.the tailbone 6.the backs of the knees 7.the calfs 8.the achilles tendon.
A rule of thumb is to never strike a hard place with a hard place,unless it is the elbow,the knee,the ball of the foot,or the heel.Consult a qualified teacher.Also look in a good Human anatomy book.hope this helps
Lots of luck,
The Dog of War

[This message has been edited by Dog Of War (edited 04-14-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Dog Of War (edited 04-15-2004).]

#108187 - 04/14/04 05:02 PM Re: HELP!!!!!! Learning Pressure Points
joesixpack Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Australia
How does one get the chance to strike the frenulem?

#108188 - 04/15/04 09:39 AM Re: HELP!!!!!! Learning Pressure Points
Dog Of War Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by joesixpack:
How does one get the chance to strike the frenulem?[/QUOTE]
Dude that was a mistake.It just dawned on me where the frenulum was.Jokes on me.LOL
-The Dog of War

#108189 - 04/16/04 01:49 PM Re: HELP!!!!!! Learning Pressure Points
Lo C'hi Offline

Loc: L.I.,N.Y.
Hey Dog - Were you were referring to the philtrum, the dent in the upper lip?
Apparently, there are many frenulums in the human body, as is noted below in an excerpt from Gray's Anatomy, and I do not think that is the one you guys were chuckling about.

The Mouth.—The orifice of the mouth is bounded by the lips, which are covered externally by the whitish skin and internally by the red mucous membrane. The size of the orifice varies considerably in different individuals, but seems to bear a close relationship to the size and prominence of the teeth; its angles usually correspond to the lateral borders of the canine teeth. Running down the center of the outer surface of the upper lip is a shallow groove—the philtrum. If the lips be everted there can be seen, in the middle line of each, a small fold of mucous membrane—the frenulum—passing from the lip to the gum.

Regards,
Al

[This message has been edited by Lo C'hi (edited 04-16-2004).]

#108190 - 04/18/04 06:21 PM Re: HELP!!!!!! Learning Pressure Points
Dog Of War Offline

Lo Chi,
That was the spot I was thinking of.I wasn't sure of the name.On the inside of the mouth is a frenulum,but I was thinking of the outside part.There are many sensitive nerves that run through there.I appreciate the post about the name.
-The Dog of War

#108191 - 05/10/04 05:13 PM Re: HELP!!!!!! Learning Pressure Points
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am a karateka of ten years, massage therapist and yoga instructor. In my work I have become increasingly aware of the pressure points and how they react to stimulii. I have recently been researching the meridians and points, and am wondering if anyone knows where i can find free charts on the web. I have some charts of my own, but I recently realized that there are many different systems and I would like to broaden my knowledge.
To the kid wanting to learn the points for fights i would suggest to stick to training under an instructor, and to avoid fighting. Obviously there are situations where one may be without any choice, but it is actually very rare. Kids at school do not count unless you honestly believe they mean you serious injury and you can not avoid confrontation. If this is the case then it is self defense and you have the right to use lethal force to protect yourself. But watch it! If it isn't clear to a jury you may end up paying dearly, plus you will feel bad if you kill or maim someone's loved one. With bullies, more often than not, it is more about feeling intimidated and not wanting to lose face. Only you can decide what your situation is. The pressure points will not be very useful to you if you don't know how to use them. Besides, in a fighting situation you will likely find that fear and disorientation will reduce the sophistication of your arsenal. I have studied karate for ten years and I doubt I would worry much about pressure points if my life was at stake. I would kick, punch, tear and bite whatever my opponant offered up. Eyes, nose, throat,solar plexus, groin, knee, ankle, wrist, fingers. It's more about knowing how to strike and manipulate than any particular points. As you progress in your training you will gain skill and confidence, and hopefully you will not bully others because you will have compassion and respect for others.

#108192 - 05/10/04 09:31 PM Re: HELP!!!!!! Learning Pressure Points
alan shindsharonjr Offline

Loc: beachwood.ohio USA
I am not a big on the idea of charts without you having a instructor to use them as it is very posible to do a knock out since your katas contain the correct angle and direction for the attack.
If you have no training in recovery you may have a work out partner on the ground for quite a while or at the least a sick training partner. But then a start in the knowledge is good. Try www.presurepointfighting.com then click on point location

Good luck
Alan

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga