FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 48 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 14
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 3
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Throwing
by
04/23/05 10:58 PM
Recent Posts
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
Yesterday at 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432455 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#107479 - 04/07/05 08:14 AM Re: Matsubayashi forms
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]I say well done to Sensei Stindt for having the balls to do this project and upload it to the net. It is easy to pick holes, but his ability seems greater than mine so I can learn ...[/QUOTE]

I completely agree, UKshorin. The only intent of the critique was for education.
Thanks for your input.

p.s.
Your shito ryu/shukokai training...Kimura?

take care

#107480 - 04/07/05 09:23 AM Re: Matsubayashi forms
Anonymous
Unregistered

my shukokai was from Sensei Roger Mills via Sensei Tsukada via Sensei Nanbu.

my shito ryu was from Sensei Roger Mills via Sensei Kusano.

Im really enjoying my training in matsubayashi, and look forward to training in any shorin based system, I have a terrific seminar coming up with Sensei Hayes - cant wait!

#107481 - 04/07/05 10:14 AM Re: Matsubayashi forms
Anonymous
Unregistered

Kara,
I do not practice Matsubayashi forms but Mr. Sindt's makes my performance of Kata look like a mix of both Gumby and a young Jerry Lewis.

#107482 - 04/07/05 07:13 PM Re: Matsubayashi forms
medulanet Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA
There is some snap in Matsubayashi, but too many people in our style have not understood what the okinawans were trying to teach. Performing kata properly with relaxed power and proper body mechanics produces snap in movements as well as a lot of power. Simply trying to achieve snap will produce nothing but sound and improper technique. Forget about snap and focus on correct technique. Focusing on producing snappy technique did not come from the okinawans, but their gaijin students.

#107483 - 04/08/05 03:32 AM Re: Matsubayashi forms
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree, it is very similair to the impact method in shukokai (or should I say shukokai is very similair to matsubayashi!). Really nicely demonstrated in Sensei Oshiros video Uchinadi IMO.

Make the tools (hands, feet) heavy and 'whip' them out with the hips then immediatly relax after impact.

#107484 - 04/20/05 05:40 PM Re: Matsubayashi forms
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kara-atama:

Well Kara I can not agree with a lot of the comments made so far. I study Shotokan, and from my point of view I thought they were terrible. The stances were to high. He had speed I will give him that but to much he raced through the kata. The set up was almost none existant. If he ever hits anything with a shuto or a punch like he was doing (wrist bent, hand not tight, fingers apart) he will either break his fingers or his wrist. The high blocks would have been uneffective in reality as they would not have blocked a true downward blow to the head.

I guess in general I would have to say, week poor set up for techniqui and rushed.

Sorry but thats what I saw

#107485 - 04/20/05 07:24 PM Re: Matsubayashi forms
medulanet Offline
Professional Poster

Dan, I don't feel you can judge okinawan karate with a shotokan mind. Our stances are not low like in shotokan, our kata is for real fighting. High blocks are not necessarily designed to block a "downward strike to the head." You must first understand okinawan karate before you criticize.

#107486 - 04/20/05 07:34 PM Re: Matsubayashi forms
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by medulanet:
Dan, I don't feel you can judge okinawan karate with a shotokan mind. Our stances are not low like in shotokan, our kata is for real fighting. High blocks are not necessarily designed to block a "downward strike to the head." You must first understand okinawan karate before you criticize.[/QUOTE]

Ok I saw Shotokan in brackets, and the kata's were the same as what I study so hence my comments. Eliminating the stance difference you did not disagree with my other comments. please explaing what a high block is designed to block if not a downward strike. As for real fighting, we spar for that.

regardless of the style a weak technique is a weak technique. And a poor set up is a poor set up.

Dan

[This message has been edited by Dan_66 (edited 04-20-2005).]

#107487 - 04/20/05 07:53 PM Re: Matsubayashi forms
medulanet Offline
Professional Poster

A high block can be used in conjuction with tai sabaki to attack a strike. You use your off hand to parry the initial attack and attack with the "blocking" arm to attack, either the arm that is punching or as a way to enter into a clinching range tight to the body so they are unable to punch and you can apply a choke, knees strike, elbow strike, takedown, etc. A high block can also be used as a guard position to stop an attack along with use of the guard hand. A high block can also be used as a forearm strike to the chin as well as an "uppercut" style strike with the fist.

#107488 - 04/20/05 10:16 PM Re: Matsubayashi forms
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dan_66 - I am trying very hard not to compare my current training to my former. If I did, I'd have to make biased judgements like most stances seem poorly grounded, not enough explotation of hip power, etc.

but if I made such a judgement, I'd be creating a mental block in ever trying to 'see' the wisdom of the style new to me.

It apples and oranges...sometimes even between ryuhas of the same style. sometimes even between sensei's of the same ryuha.

after having a number of years with both styles, I'd be able to compare which is best for my body type, abilities and weaknesses.

as far as comparing kata style with fighting style:
I'm most comfortable with close quarter fighting, blocking with both hands open, and almost never completely chamber a closed fist (except in kata). I feel the gain in reaction time is worth the fraction of power lost due to less distance the hand travels. I try to compensate with emphasis on quick small circle with tension hip rotation while keeping a solid base. In other words, I attempt to incorporate the power generation techniques I've learned from Shigeru Kimura Sensei, while keeping my Goju fighting style. With that in mind, I pretty much know if I ever had to do Shotokan katas by Shotokan standards, they might feel effective to me but would look like total crap to you. This is what you might be seeing when you look at someones kata that you are familiar with, but when it's done with another style's fighting philosophy.

by the way, my username used to be kara-atama...I wanted to change it to something more 'solid' [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga