FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 52 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 3
MattJ 2
Jeff_G 1
Marcus Charles 1
TooNice 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Jeff_G
03/30/14 12:44 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432375 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#107402 - 03/17/05 04:16 PM Kata & Kickboxing
Anonymous
Unregistered

I`ve enjoyed learning about kata in this forum and have been wondering if it`s used in kb? It has`nt been mentioned in class.

I found it very interesting and would like to learn. Now I don`t mean to sound like a troll, but..yes here it comes......If I already know techniques and blocks, can I teach myself A kata? Is it something you must be taught? I`m going on holiday soon and I thought it would be a new way for me to practise technique as I will have no sparring partner.

If this is not a totally idiotic idea, please let me know by sharing your knowledge and guidance.

Jabber

#107403 - 03/17/05 05:29 PM Re: Kata & Kickboxing
Anonymous
Unregistered

Can you string together a sequence of self defense techniques and technical fighting manouveres (locks, armbars throws, defense for hair pull, roundhouse kick, escape from clinch or bouncer's come along, climbing the vine etc?) and practice them in a two man drill?

Remove the partner, and you have kata. At least one close to Okinawan themes.

Chinese forms teach concepts, and are genrally longer and more of a workout.

#107404 - 03/17/05 05:29 PM Re: Kata & Kickboxing
Isshinryukid4life Offline
Professional Injury causer

Loc: Knoxville.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by jabber:
I`ve enjoyed learning about kata in this forum and have been wondering if it`s used in kb? It has`nt been mentioned in class.

I found it very interesting and would like to learn. Now I don`t mean to sound like a troll, but..yes here it comes......If I already know techniques and blocks, can I teach myself A kata? Is it something you must be taught? I`m going on holiday soon and I thought it would be a new way for me to practise technique as I will have no sparring partner.

If this is not a totally idiotic idea, please let me know by sharing your knowledge and guidance.

Jabber

[/QUOTE]

Jabber,To say that's a toatally idiotic idea would be an understatement. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

#107405 - 03/17/05 09:10 PM Re: Kata & Kickboxing
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's only idiotic becuase the old katas have all of the answers. Formulating your own kata might help in analysing the ones the masters learned.

#107406 - 03/18/05 03:03 PM Re: Kata & Kickboxing
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your replies and your encouragement. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

I will take the opportunity during my 3 week break to attempt to formulate my own kata - it may help, may not, but at least I will have something interesting to think about.

Kid4life, [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/tongue.gif[/IMG]

Would you mind explaning why it is idiotic? Do you think it will lead to bad habits? Or that it`s futile and a waste of time? Or that it`s only something that should be taught? As a beginner I crave not only to learn, but also to understand.

Thanks

Jabber

Btw, do either of you know if kata is taught in kickboxing?

#107407 - 03/20/05 10:26 PM Re: Kata & Kickboxing
Anonymous
Unregistered

jabber,
I'm pretty sure that kata is not taught in kickboxing because it's a sport not a traditional martial art.
I wouldn't suggest trying to formulate your own kata,but I would learn from a qualified instructor.

#107408 - 03/22/05 06:17 AM Re: Kata & Kickboxing
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Sanchin,

Thanks for you input. I`ll find out a bit more about it, and if I`m not gonna feel to much of a fool I`ll ask my instructor. Hopefully he won`t laugh to loud if I`m talking BS.

Jabber

#107409 - 04/04/05 10:58 AM Re: Kata & Kickboxing
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you already know blocks, locks, attacks etc... then i think it would be a good idea. It may help you to notice things that you may not have, it would also iprove the technical side of your art.
K.L

p.s i also study kickboxing and no they don't use Kata..

#107410 - 04/06/05 05:12 AM Re: Kata & Kickboxing
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi K.L,

Thanks for your info, I`d got replies but I did want a yes/no answer, now I have one.

While I`m away I might TRY to formulate a kata as I can`t see any real harm in trying this excercise - at the end of the day I`m still practiscing technique.

jabber

#107411 - 04/06/05 06:27 AM Re: Kata & Kickboxing
Anonymous
Unregistered

There is nothing idiotic about wanting to learn something that might help you with your training. Kickboxing doesn't have kata, so try talking to another instructor in your area and see if he/she is willing to teach you a few. If you find a good kenpo school, short form 1 is a good place to start, so you get used to the idea of moving in a pattern without a training partner. If there is a tradition Japan/Okinawa school in your area, then one of the Taikyoku series is a good place to start. After that, just ask for a mid level difficulty, and then a more advance kata. My advice should you find a kenpo instructor who's willing to help you is to learn short 1, long 1, and then short 3. I hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga