FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
BUJU, Pilsungkarate, ALF, old1, Leonar
22928 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ronin1966 3
futsaowingchun 2
ergees 2
GojuRyuboy13 2
AndyLA 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
Yesterday at 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
Yesterday at 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
Yesterday at 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Forum Stats
22928 Members
36 Forums
35584 Topics
432513 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#106069 - 08/11/04 02:58 PM teaching myself with no books or master
Anonymous
Unregistered

does anyone believe the it would be possible to teach yourself. with no master. except you are your own master. No books no teacher... teach yourself. anything is possible. you pick up a stick start spining it. learn it. master it. pick up any weapon master it. move in ways like no other but like all others perfectly. who would believe him they would say impossible someone had to teach this guy there is no way he knows this.

#106070 - 08/11/04 03:26 PM Re: teaching myself with no books or master
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dong,
Do you mind if I call you Dong? I believe if anyone can dood it Dong can. Your journey will be long Dong. Practice safely.

#106071 - 08/11/04 04:26 PM Re: teaching myself with no books or master
senseilou Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Glendale, Az.
Once again I will be the one who will tell you what you don't want to hear...........
Absolutely not!!!!Everyone needs a mentor to watch over them. If you never had a teacher in school, how do you acquire knowledge. How does one teach themselves to read at an early age? It must be taught. There are so many arguments for this, but I will stick with just one. Who is to correct you? What if you practice wrong? I have heard people say they have studied for 20 years, but if they are practicing with bad habit, wrong information, they have practiced 20 years doing the wrong thing which makes it worthless. There is much in the Martial Arts that needs refining, and only a person who knows MORE than you can do this. Besides you learn from what you do wrong, not what you do right. How will you correct yourself? You won't, so how will you change? No matter what, one needs stimulus. If not for an instructor to show you various thoughts methods etc, you will have a single idea, yours. If you don't want to be corrected, and always do things right and your way, be your own teacher, but how do you define student from teacher? You can learn from books, tapes etc, but NOTHING takes the place of being on the mat with a senior, or an instructor, there is nothing that can replace the process of being lead on a journey.

I once met a student of Jeet Kune Do, He trained with me and more and more I saw his basics were terrible, and he had nothing behind his strikes. I asked where he learned and he said he learned from tapes and a book. I asked him to perform a variation of what he was doing and he said there wasn't one, the BOOK SAID, this was it. You can see the problem. No wonder he was so sloppy.

Just because I put BMW seats in my Volswagen doesn't mean I drive a BMW, and just because I put air plane seats in my house doesn't mean my house can fly. Just because you read, study and watch Martial Arts, doesn't mean you can do them!

#106072 - 08/11/04 06:37 PM Re: teaching myself with no books or master
Anonymous
Unregistered

What if you have some to train with whose has been training awhile and is at blackbelt level? I train with a first degree blackbelt when I can and I've gotten to be pretty good.

#106073 - 08/11/04 09:06 PM Re: teaching myself with no books or master
Anonymous
Unregistered

haveing someone to train with would help me alot but my friends dont want to train with me. they dont want to get hurt. No pain no gain. what u need is a friend u can talk to and discuss an train with that wont sell u out.

#106074 - 08/11/04 09:22 PM Re: teaching myself with no books or master
Anonymous
Unregistered

maybe ur right

[This message has been edited by dongamongo (edited 08-11-2004).]

#106075 - 08/11/04 11:14 PM Re: teaching myself with no books or master
Anonymous
Unregistered

senseilou,
After I read your response to Dong I felt guilty. You words were so gracious. You provided him with great insights in a respectful manner. I was ashamed at the level to which my humor had sunk to. I enjoy and respect your contribution to the forum very much.
After his post it seemed he is just begging to be pooped on. I will do what I can to follow your excellent example.

[This message has been edited by oldman (edited 08-11-2004).]

#106076 - 08/12/04 12:27 AM Re: teaching myself with no books or master
Multiversed Offline
Banned

Loc: Sa, Tx. USA
You can learn to be a brain surgeon just by reading books too. I just don't know how good a brain surgeon you'd be. In 'MerKKKa aka. the Cracker Barrel anything is possible- if you're a white male born into money. If not then go buy a book and learn how to sculpt just like Michelangelo!

Or become a redneck or good-ole'-boy, change your name to a good anglicized ditty like Smith or Washington, and before you know it you'll be gettin' masked naked chicks on a regular basis, just like those guys in "Eyes Wide Shut". Yeah, "heaven is right here on earth", huh? Especially if you're a pale, cannibalistsic homicidal, thieving naked ape.

Just joking paleos!!!

#106077 - 08/12/04 07:56 AM Re: teaching myself with no books or master
JohnL Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: NY, NY, USA
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dongamongo:
haveing someone to train with would help me alot but my friends dont want to train with me. they dont want to get hurt. [/QUOTE]

I'm not suprised, you're probably a moron.

JohnL

#106078 - 08/12/04 11:38 PM Re: teaching myself with no books or master
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
Id watch it multiversed. Words like those have consequences.

SenseiLou, Long time. Good post.

#106079 - 08/13/04 02:45 AM Re: teaching myself with no books or master
senseilou Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Glendale, Az.
I don't want to get into "the good old days" but I have noticed generally speaking, that students want something but don't want to put in the time or sweat that it takes. Some of my students are the same way. They see what some of us do and they say "why can't I do that like you" The reason is simple, time in, and paying your dues. You really don't appreciate the process until you have been through it. Having class where Sensei had to carry you out from the dojo, because you exerted too much energy and are spent, being bounced around or having Sensei use you as his punching dummy. This dynamic can't happen by yourself-nor can it happen over night. There is one big secret in the martial arts, that is ......there is no secret. What it takes is devotion, an open mind, a willingness to suceed and the desire to get out there, train hard and do it to your best. Students who shortcut the process will never have what it takes to be a TRUE practioner. Nobody gets anywhere without hard work. One of the problems in todays society is the information is more readily available. In the late 60's and early 70's there were very few books and virtually no tapes(some 8mm)and not internet, so you had to find a Dojo and go to work. Now with technology(which can be an asset)being what it is, students look for the easy way out. Its a shame, but thats the way it is.

#106080 - 08/14/04 10:42 PM Re: teaching myself with no books or master
Isshinryukid4life Offline
Professional Injury causer

Loc: Knoxville.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dongamongo:
does anyone believe the it would be possible to teach yourself. with no master. except you are your own master. No books no teacher... teach yourself. anything is possible. you pick up a stick start spining it. learn it. master it. pick up any weapon master it. move in ways like no other but like all others perfectly. who would believe him they would say impossible someone had to teach this guy there is no way he knows this. [/QUOTE]
Ok,I'm gonna be a little hard on you,But hopefully you'll take it like a man. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG] ANyway,As for learning by yourself,I'd believe that to be more harmful as well as moronic. I fervently believe that learning from a certified instructor,Or even a boxing coach would be a better choice for you. However, If you would rather be a maverick & learn on your lonesome,Then that would surely prove that you're living in a fantasy world. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG] ________________________________________ Peace be with you.

[This message has been edited by Isshinryukid4life (edited 08-15-2004).]

#106081 - 08/18/04 05:54 PM Re: teaching myself with no books or master
Anonymous
Unregistered

If that were true then becoming a brain surgeon would not require an education with books and teachers!

[This message has been edited by Shogan (edited 08-18-2004).]

#106082 - 10/06/04 08:45 AM Re: teaching myself with no books or master
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a very strong point of view on this subject. I feel that 'martial arts' is the art of knowing your limits, and when you do, breaking those limits and becoming even stronger, not just in physical strength, but also your mental strength and stability.
I also think that one can only obtain mental stability once you know what you are capable of and also depending on how dedicated you are to the arts. I think the concept of people's opinions being right or wrong is absurd. I think that there are no right or wrong ways to practise the arts, just how well you know yourself. I know people will still stick to their guns on this one but my aim is to suggest a different overview where no-one opinion is right. As one of my senseis told me,'there are no right or wrong ways in which to do things, its just how you interpret the matter'.

#106083 - 10/06/04 01:32 PM Re: teaching myself with no books or master
Anonymous
Unregistered

stormdragon asked about the low level blackbelt and training.

that low level blackbelt became your sifu when you started taking instruction from him/her.

#106084 - 10/06/04 01:43 PM Re: teaching myself with no books or master
Isshinryukid4life Offline
Professional Injury causer

Loc: Knoxville.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ryu2004:
I have a very strong point of view on this subject. I feel that 'martial arts' is the art of knowing your limits, and when you do, breaking those limits and becoming even stronger, not just in physical strength, but also your mental strength and stability.
I also think that one can only obtain mental stability once you know what you are capable of and also depending on how dedicated you are to the arts. I think the concept of people's opinions being right or wrong is absurd. I think that there are no right or wrong ways to practise the arts, just how well you know yourself. I know people will still stick to their guns on this one but my aim is to suggest a different overview where no-one opinion is right. As one of my senseis told me,'there are no right or wrong ways in which to do things, its just how you interpret the matter'.
[/QUOTE]

( [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/rolleyes.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/confused.gif[/IMG] )

[This message has been edited by Isshinryukid4life (edited 10-06-2004).]

#106085 - 10/13/04 11:58 AM Re: teaching myself with no books or master
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hmm interesting thread well it depends to learn a martial art its my belief that having a guide to teach proper methods is neccasary but to learn Hand to hand combatives I would have to say no you dont need someone to teach you as its in every humans instincts to protect themselves you dont need flashy methods or some super secret kata to be effective it depends more on you mindset than your physical attributes

#106086 - 02/02/05 12:00 AM Re: teaching myself with no books or master
Anonymous
Unregistered

May I ask why?

Thank you

#106087 - 02/13/05 01:43 PM Re: teaching myself with no books or master
Anonymous
Unregistered

Listen, Dong. I taught myself how to shoot. And I got really good at it. I could hit any target... a legend in my own mind. But I never learned how to do 2 things of importance. 1) clean my gun and 2)hit moving targets. This wasn't learned until i had a friend show me. You need a coach, or you can overlook even the most simple things of necessity.
Boomer

#106088 - 02/13/05 03:25 PM Re: teaching myself with no books or master
Anonymous
Unregistered

On the one hand, Dong is obviously a moron.
Kid, you at least need someone to spar with.
If you don't like authoritive sensei, go to a combat sport gym.

On the other hand, it's revealing how everyone is attached to the idea of "good form" being handed down by a "master". Without "alive" training, "good form" is just as likely to be useless as whatever dong is doing.

#106089 - 02/13/05 05:04 PM Re: teaching myself with no books or master
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hedge,
Dongs post was from August. He has gone on to study under a teacher and is an orange belt.

(Quote)
"On the one hand, Dong is obviously a moron".

On the other hand you are just boring.

I'll look forward to your future posts.

The one about "Aliveness" and then theres the one about "alive". OOh ooh I almost forgot the one about " Aliveness".

Don't assume one cannont be "attached" to "aliveness".

oldman

[This message has been edited by oldman (edited 02-14-2005).]

#106090 - 02/13/05 09:16 PM Re: teaching myself with no books or master
Anonymous
Unregistered

People have spent their whole lives training and refining MA, why miss out on their incredible knowledge and insight?

I dont believe you can learn MA from scratch from books, but it is my firm belief that once someone has mastered the basics, understands the Kata, has the right mental attitude, has the right goals, then they can achieve much on their own.

Many Masters in the past trained themselves after a certain point, can one not repeat the past?

To say you cant grow on ones own would unravel the standard the likes of Bruce Lee, Choki Motobu, Mas Oyama and many others build up for themselves.

Give me a man who ardently desires his vision and works on it assiduously and I give you a man with a profound destiny.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga