FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 49 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 2
Matakiant 1
cxt 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
Yesterday at 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#105878 - 06/23/04 05:48 PM Re: Free Style Kata Vs Standard Kata's
Victor Smith Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Derry, NH
The issue of tournament versus non-tournament karate goes back to the inception of tournaments. There are positive and negative aspects for tournaments.

Among the strongest positive is when you compete you burn at a higher rate than anytime else. I'm referring to the energy outlay in kata or kobudo competition, or kumite for that matter. Long careful training interspaced with tourmament competition helps one gain layers of ability in execution.

On the other hand tournaments aren't fair play. There is nothing to be gained besides doing it. For if all the judges are idiots and they give you first place, what are you?

When you realize that tournament judging in all events always has been anarchy, for when judgment with no real standards inforcing the judgement takes place other variables enter. Judges are human, they have their likes and dislikes. They're influenced by outside influences (like Senior judges, the audience approval, etc.) all of which is human for people who aren't paid, trained and even want to be judging.

Then add playing to the audience and the juke and jive set takes over.

If you go back in to the late 60's and early 70's people like Hidy Ochai added very good gymnastics to traditional kata technique for showmanship, and he was doing moves almost nobody else could do.

Then Jhoon Rhee added classical music to custom built TKD forms, with great performers.

In the late 70's Garry Michak did a custom built kata to the 'Superman' movie theme, one of the most custom corregraphed highly skilled kata performances I've seen.

Up through that point the performances all were focused skilled, even in the dymamic gymnastics involved.

Sometime after that flow becaame more important. High levels of screaming (perhaps a good idea to practice as most of those screaming techniques would leave em screaming when they were taken apart), poor gymnastic integration, and strikes that couldn't break wet paper bags.... and you're almost to the lower level of today's tournaments.

The older skilled performers weren't hanging around, and the tournament circuit began to be built towards those who all were doing the same thing.

Well it's fine. If that's what you want. great. On the other hand, regardless of thier claims, it doesn't define more tha. 0.0001% of the totality of karate or martial experience.

If you don't want that, train hard at something else.

And if they want to practice screaming, it gives you reason to practice to learn how to make their screams a reality....

More's the pity,

Victor Smith
bushi no te isshinryu

#105879 - 06/23/04 09:14 PM Re: Free Style Kata Vs Standard Kata's
Anonymous
Unregistered

I feel that free style forms are cool to watch but speaking from a judges standpoint there is no way to judge them fairly.Find a sensei that knows enough about your style to keep you busy with the real budo.Dont waste your time practicing incorrect technique and learn what the masters realy have to offer.Tournaments can be a very good place to compare your abilities to other people and styles,but dont try to compare your technique with what Motobu ,Mabuni , Shimabuku ,Itosu ,Higashionna or Matsumura for example (not to exclude any of the masters I cannot think of right now).As far as the music,I prefer the sound of the sanchin(Okinawan 3 string instrument)to set the proper ambiance for my kata training.Gambatte

#105880 - 06/24/04 10:22 AM Re: Free Style Kata Vs Standard Kata's
chinto01 Offline

quote:
Nothing wrong with tournaments long as you seperate the quality time you spend in the dojo and the time you spend practicing your tourament stuff. This has been previously debated and is on other forums. EOM

The problem is that people cannot seperate tournament training from their traditional training. I believe it is 2 different schools of thinking. Kata is not meant to be taken apart and put to music or dismanteled and performed with a bunch of flashy moves for the sake of a trophy. Some things should be left well enough alone.

#105881 - 06/24/04 10:35 AM Re: Free Style Kata Vs Standard Kata's
WADO 1 Offline

Loc: Denver, Co USA
[QUOTE]Originally posted by chinto01:
quote:
Nothing wrong with tournaments long as you seperate the quality time you spend in the dojo and the time you spend practicing your tourament stuff. This has been previously debated and is on other forums. EOM

The problem is that people cannot seperate tournament training from their traditional training. I believe it is 2 different schools of thinking. Kata is not meant to be taken apart and put to music or dismanteled and performed with a bunch of flashy moves for the sake of a trophy. Some things should be left well enough alone.
[/QUOTE]

I think Funakoshi put it best in His autobiography Karatedo My Way of Life "Kata should be practiced with your teacher or by yourself untill you can't stand up any more then when you recover practice again" Kata is one tool to training to make it a competition sport makes it into an end unto itself which it was never meant to be. Instead of training in kata in a tournament a better training would be to go in your basement draw the shades and parctice alone by yourself with shorts and a T-shirt on. The gi can sometimes trick you into thinking you are better than you actually are. Only by practicing by yourself and being brutally honest with yourself can you improve.

#105882 - 06/24/04 11:47 AM Re: Free Style Kata Vs Standard Kata's
schanne Offline
breaks things

Loc: Woodbury NJ
[QUOTE]Originally posted by WADO 1:

I think Funakoshi put it best in His autobiography Karatedo My Way of Life "Kata should be practiced with your teacher or by yourself untill you can't stand up any more then when you recover practice again" Kata is one tool to training to make it a competition sport makes it into an end unto itself which it was never meant to be. Instead of training in kata in a tournament a better training would be to go in your basement draw the shades and parctice alone by yourself with shorts and a T-shirt on. The gi can sometimes trick you into thinking you are better than you actually are. Only by practicing by yourself and being brutally honest with yourself can you improve.
[/QUOTE]

Wado, your right, a Gi sure makes you look better.

#105883 - 07/16/04 07:28 AM Re: Free Style Kata Vs Standard Kata's
Ironfoot Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: St. Clair Shores, MI USA
God, I hate made-up katas! First of all, very few people are qualified to create a real one. After 30 years I know I'm not.
Maybe a 22-year old knows better, huh?

They should be entered in gymnastic contests, not karate tournaments. Truer words were never spoken than the point about the excessive screaming. Makes me want to.
What the hell is the point of screaming for 8 seconds AFTER your wimpy strike?

And setting them to music? Doesn't this mean the moves were tailored to the beat rather than actual bunkai??

If I sound like a grumpy old fart, sorry. I'm kinder when judging this. I ignore the non-karate parts and will give a good score if some skill besides cartwheeling is shown.

#105884 - 07/16/04 12:33 PM Re: Free Style Kata Vs Standard Kata's
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: USA
Key

"Free style kata" esp to music has no place. in martial arts comp.

Belongs over in the gymnastic section--except that most teenagers can do more impressive routines--with higher degrees of difficulty.

And they look more graceful doing it.

Its rubbish.

[This message has been edited by cxt (edited 07-16-2004).]

[This message has been edited by cxt (edited 07-16-2004).]

#105885 - 07/16/04 01:06 PM Re: Free Style Kata Vs Standard Kata's
schanne Offline
breaks things

Loc: Woodbury NJ
I still love "JohnL's" explanation of introducing yourself to the tournament judges for kata...very funny post, but true.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga