FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 59 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
ergees 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#105868 - 06/23/04 09:45 AM Free Style Kata Vs Standard Kata's
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was just wondering which of the two you feal, shows off more of the participants skill level at a tourney. Personally I think the free style shows your skill better, cause its what you've come up with in x amount of weeks/days and you've supposed to perfect it already. As opposed to, having a form and studying with an instructor correcting all your movements. Also you are able to come up with unique moves to even further show off your understanding.

I was also wondering what you thought about free style forms set to music. Is it just a clever gimmic for the audience, or do you think that it's even harder than free style without music (just cause u got to keep up).

ALso what are your fave songs to do the forms too?

#105869 - 06/23/04 10:33 AM Re: Free Style Kata Vs Standard Kata's
schanne Offline
breaks things

Loc: Woodbury NJ
[QUOTE]Originally posted by keyboardsamurai:
I was just wondering which of the two you feal, shows off more of the participants skill level at a tourney. Personally I think the free style shows your skill better, cause its what you've come up with in x amount of weeks/days and you've supposed to perfect it already. As opposed to, having a form and studying with an instructor correcting all your movements. Also you are able to come up with unique moves to even further show off your understanding.

I was also wondering what you thought about free style forms set to music. Is it just a clever gimmic for the audience, or do you think that it's even harder than free style without music (just cause u got to keep up).

[/QUOTE]

Sure, for tournaments only. It always makes me cringe when someone does a kata or demo to music, never liked it..but it seem more and more schools /dojo's do demo's that way to please the spectators. As for freestyle kata's, who cares long as you don't bring it in the dojo, it creates to many question from the other students and will drive your Sensei crazy.

[This message has been edited by schanne (edited 06-23-2004).]

#105870 - 06/23/04 10:54 AM Re: Free Style Kata Vs Standard Kata's
creative Offline

Loc: UK
Originally posted by keyboardsamurai:
"I was just wondering which of the two you feal, shows off more of the participants skill level at a tourney. Personally I think the free style shows your skill better, cause its what you've come up with in x amount of weeks/days and you've supposed to perfect it already. As opposed to, having a form and studying with an instructor correcting all your movements. Also you are able to come up with unique moves to even further show off your understanding."

The freestyle kata i have seen at tournemants have all been about being flashy. It reminds me more of gymnastics. It does not show you have a great understanding. It just shows you are a good GYMNAST. I dont consider these to be kata. Maybe im wrong, but i dont think a great amount of study goes into the application...

clever definately not, gimic yes.

ummm...who let the dogs out??

#105871 - 06/23/04 11:17 AM Re: Free Style Kata Vs Standard Kata's
chinto01 Offline

Original post:
"I was just wondering which of the two you feal, shows off more of the participants skill level at a tourney. Personally I think the free style shows your skill better, cause its what you've come up with in x amount of weeks/days and you've supposed to perfect it already. As opposed to, having a form and studying with an instructor correcting all your movements. Also you are able to come up with unique moves to even further show off your understanding."

I believe that tournament kata such as this has no value at all. All these kata show is the persons ability to be a good gymnast as stated before. We need to make sure that our students have a basic understanding of the traditional katas before they go about making up there own. Ask a competitor at a tournament what the bunkai to the traditional kata they are performing is and I bet 75% of the time you will not get an answer at all. Before we go making up our own forms let's perfect and study the ones before us.

#105872 - 06/23/04 11:40 AM Re: Free Style Kata Vs Standard Kata's
WADO 1 Offline

Loc: Denver, Co USA
Traditional kata definitely shows off more skill freestyle shows what you know traditional kata shows what you don't know. If you make up a form you can always leave out the techniques that you are poor at but with traditional kata you have to work through your weaknesses. I think for me the perfection of Naihanchi is one of the most difficult tasks that exist in the martial arts, to perform those satnces perfectly with stone solid and stone still legs with no knee movement and to still perform the hand techniques with good hip and sharpness that would show higher skill level than anything I could make up.

#105873 - 06/23/04 12:21 PM Re: Free Style Kata Vs Standard Kata's
Stampede Offline
Lord of the Kazoo

Loc: El Dorado, AR
Bah. I wish general bowel discomfort on the inventor of kata competition, point sparring, and musical forms.

And that power ranger who founded the xma. I hope he gets anal warts at some point.

#105874 - 06/23/04 12:48 PM Re: Free Style Kata Vs Standard Kata's
WADO 1 Offline

Loc: Denver, Co USA
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Stampede:
Bah. I wish general bowel discomfort on the inventor of kata competition, point sparring, and musical forms.

And that power ranger who founded the xma. I hope he gets anal warts at some point.
[/QUOTE]

There is nothing wrong with it as long as you realize it is a seperate sport and not really karate-do. It is a game that uses some of the most basic karate techniques.

#105875 - 06/23/04 01:28 PM Re: Free Style Kata Vs Standard Kata's
chinto01 Offline

Well now we have opened a can of worms. I also feel that tournaments in general are no good for the martial arts. Tournaments go against mostly everything that the martial arts stands for especially the theory of no first strike.

#105876 - 06/23/04 02:16 PM Re: Free Style Kata Vs Standard Kata's
schanne Offline
breaks things

Loc: Woodbury NJ
[QUOTE]Originally posted by chinto01:
Well now we have opened a can of worms. I also feel that tournaments in general are no good for the martial arts. Tournaments go against mostly everything that the martial arts stands for especially the theory of no first strike. [/QUOTE]

Nothing wrong with tournaments long as you seperate the quality time you spend in the dojo and the time you spend practicing your tourament stuff. This has been previously debated and is on other forums. EOM

#105877 - 06/23/04 03:24 PM Re: Free Style Kata Vs Standard Kata's
Stampede Offline
Lord of the Kazoo

Loc: El Dorado, AR
[QUOTE]Originally posted by chinto01:
the theory of no first strike. [/QUOTE]

A bit OT, but . . .

Generally speaking, the rule of No First Strike is a note on social interaction as opposed to fighting. It means to not look for trouble, or not to start trouble. Doesn't rule out bustin' someone in the chops if they're gettin' ready to fug you up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga