FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 22 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
AndyLA 3
futsaowingchun 2
Zombie Zero 2
Matakiant 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Eugue Ryu
by
03/27/07 12:06 AM
Recent Posts
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Matakiant
09/18/14 07:11 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432495 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#104928 - 03/24/03 08:06 PM Who works advanced kata applications
Victor Smith Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Derry, NH
Just a brief question?

Who's working advanced kata applications. Kata such as Gojushiho, Kusanku, Chinto, Rohai, etc.

If so any trends in your application studies worth discussing?

The reason I ask is years ago on my web-site I put out some of the application material I teach, and after over 20,000 hits I've never had any discussion about it.

Which makes me wonder are only beginning kata beind studied for application, or is it people are too reserved to share what they work?

Food for thought!

Victor Smith
Bushi No Te Isshinryu www.funkydragon.com/bushi

#104929 - 03/24/03 11:51 PM Re: Who works advanced kata applications
joesixpack Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Australia
I ahve been trying to get stuff for Kanku Dai, but it isn't very good or ripped from the Heians/Pinans.

I used to know Meikyo, which to me seems nothing like Rohai. I couldn't see any applications paticular to it, except for the weird postures and jumps. Rohai would be better to work on.

I tried once to get Gojushiho going, what wasn't obvious was alien.

Are there any sources for kata such as Gojushiho, like Moneymaker or Dillman? Perhaps I should learn Balck Tiger Boxing.

#104930 - 03/25/03 09:53 AM Re: Who works advanced kata applications
Victor Smith Offline
Professional Poster

Hi Joe,

I'm not as much referring to works by authors. Some show a few applications, but rather what people are working on.

One of my seniors died last year, the 8 years previous I studied over 800 individual applications and principles from the Isshinryu kata (Isshinryu's Seisan, Seiunchin, Nihanchi, Wansu, Chinto, Kusanku, SunNuSu, Sanchin) which I documented and pulled together in my notes (about 200 pages).

And I have my own studies.

I've worked on Bassai Dai (Shotokan) , Gojushiho (Matsubahsyi Ryu version) and Sanchin (Isshinryu), Seisan (Ueichi), as well as run cross group analysis of Passai version and Seisan versions among others.

And I'm still learning.

The issue of course is very rarely does anybody take the time to disscuss them.

Victor Smith
Bushi No Te Isshinryu

#104931 - 03/25/03 03:43 PM Re: Who works advanced kata applications
joesixpack Offline
Professional Poster

Nah, what I meant was when I try to analyse the moves of the kata, my applications for those kata, are to my mind, inefective. On the other hand I have some good stuff I worked out myslef for Bassai Dai and Sho, Enpi but these katas that you mention seems to be very, very difficualt to get anything workable out of. But is there any authored work on such kata?

I have seen little discussion between people trying to break them down OR authored work on the katas you mention.

Perhaps your frustration in being able to communicate with other who have similar knowledge should be taken as a compliment.

Are you thinking of publishing your work at any time?

I have posted before on this forum on Bassai kata, (How Many Passais? http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/Forum10/HTML/000024.html , tell me what you think, I have three taught to me by McCarthy, and five I found myself.

I will add the application I put down that was taught to me (2nd McCarthy) there that ends up with the opponent huddled over begins with a tackle being redirected.

#104932 - 03/25/03 04:08 PM Re: Who works advanced kata applications
joesixpack Offline
Professional Poster

Victor, I don't know how good this is, but I just found this;
http://www.24fightingchickens.com/shawnjefferson/index.htm

I'll have a look around myself.

#104933 - 03/26/03 03:47 AM Re: Who works advanced kata applications
Victor Smith Offline
Professional Poster

Hi Joe,

Interesting material, I'm reviewing it and hope to have an answer to respond tonight.

As Basai isn't primarily one of the Isshinryu kata, I haven't worried about the application of the opening (but focused mostly on those sections which are similar to Isshinryu's SunNuSu kata.

Studying under Tris Sutrisno off hand I recall his using the opening movements of Bassai Sho for an arm break but I have to review my notes on this.

Thanks for giving me a challenge.

As for my own studies, I have no plans to publish them. Much of application study really requires you being there, nuances are hard to understand without the demo as small angles and movement are often included.

My notes on what I've done are for my advanced students.

But it is an intersting topic to me.

Thanks,

Victor Smith
Bushi No Te Isshinryu

#104934 - 03/26/03 06:19 PM Re: Who works advanced kata applications
Multiversed Offline
Banned

Loc: Sa, Tx. USA
Hi Victor. I am working on Chinto right now, and the bunkai is voluminous! Sometimes called the first of the "Crane" katas (gotta watch that term), it has lots of throws/grappling, groundfighting and combo strikes. For example, after the initial shuto to "X-block", a follow up knee check to uppercut is seen. This a lot like Muay Thai's "climbing the vine", but with more control. A throw follows that, etc..

Is there any specific sequence you want input on or to talk about? I do Matsumura Seito, so I don't think the kata are that different from Isshin. Later and good topic....
Bryan

#104935 - 03/26/03 08:29 PM Re: Who works advanced kata applications
Victor Smith Offline
Professional Poster

Hi Joe,

I like your Bassai Opening applications. As I said it wasn't an aspect I've focused on lately.

One you might consider is how you could use it against a multiple striking attack from the inside.

If the opponent was moving into you with a right and left punch combination. Your left hand touching your right fist keeps your body alighment such that you can readily parry each strike to the outside as you finish by striking into their solar plexus.

This is very similar to a similar way I use Seiunchin's (Isshinryu version) augmented punch.

When one hand touches the other arm, your body automatically aligns making such interior parry blocks very difficult to breach, and having parried the arms out, the re-inforced and aligned strike to the solar plexus is extremely powerful, the knee strike can readily be a skip forward to slam it home.

And for Multiverse,

Chinto one of my favorite kata. Have you noticed the entire range of Aikido technique it contains.

One extremely powerful suggestion is to take the stepping forward hammerfist into the other hand, and use it applied as Aikido's heaven and earth throw.

The opponent strikes or grabs with their right as their right steps foward.

Step around their right leg with your right, your left open hand parries outside, moving their arm away, and your right forearm strikes down into their neck (as your hand tries to hit your left).

The opponent literally slam dunks themself to the ground to get away from thet hammerfist. You really don't need much force to have the 'threat' of pain make them throw themselves across your left calf.

How do those suggestions work for you?

Victor Smith
Bushi No Te Isshinryu

#104936 - 03/27/03 04:57 PM Re: Who works advanced kata applications
joesixpack Offline
Professional Poster

Yes Sensei Smith, I like it, I supopose it is a variation of "My Bassai Sho II". I think I will rework these and try to incorporate kyusho, such as making the bump to take balance an attack to the peronial nerve and so on.

As for Kanku Dai, the only piece of useful bunkai I have is ripped from Vince Morris. The opening sequence is from a double wrist grab and the motion is made to smash the inside bones of the hands against each other.

What say you (and anyone else) of the final manouveres of Kusanku/Kanku?

#104937 - 03/27/03 06:27 PM Re: Who works advanced kata applications
Victor Smith Offline
Professional Poster

Hi Joe,

Which version of Kusanku, and which movements?

Victor Smith
Bushi No Te Isshinryu

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga