FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 45 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 15
cxt 7
trevek 6
futsaowingchun 3
JKogas 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Throwing
by
04/23/05 10:58 PM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
Today at 12:04 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/29/14 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432456 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#104610 - 01/16/02 03:29 PM The Necessity of Kata . . .
Anonymous
Unregistered

This topic was originally in the Martial Arts Talk forum.

Are kata necessary to Martial Arts training? Why or why not?

I will voice my opinion after I hear a couple of good replies.

Thanks in advance [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

#104611 - 01/16/02 09:03 PM Re: The Necessity of Kata . . .
Victor Smith Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Derry, NH
Hi Vash,

Are Kata necessary for Martial Arts training.

Well strictly speaking if you define Okinawan Karate as a martial art, if you don't practice kata you're not practicing karate.

On the other hand there is Okinawan Te which traditionally doesn't practice kata, nor do arts such as Muay Thai. Where many other systems do.

Without desending into argument on which is better, each has a rational behind their practice.

The Okinawan Karate stylist pracices kata. Other groups of martial artists don't.

Of course then there's a larger question if the art isn't dedicated towards the military it techically isn't a martial art... but that's another long discussion.

Victor Smith

#104612 - 01/20/02 06:52 PM Re: The Necessity of Kata . . .
bushido_spirit Offline
Stranger

Loc: Australia
Vash,

Are kata necessary to Martial Arts training? Why or why not?

The question as to whether kata is necessary to Martial Arts Training, has many answers, none of them can be said to be totally right.

Having trained in karate for 3 years, and having researched many other martial arts, I can say that I believe kata is not NECESSARY to martial arts, but help to train us in the areas of discipline, strength, focus, and persistence.

In martial arts, kata and its applpications can help improve our techniques, and train the spirit, body and mind, even though in a real life situation these may be totally useless.

However, kata is not just a means of practicing that particular martial art to improve our technique or strengthen our bodies, it helps us to realise the more spiritual part of martial arts, and to echo to us the meaning of the beginners mind.

Yours in bushido spirit

#104613 - 03/13/02 12:47 AM Re: The Necessity of Kata . . .
SaiFightsMS Offline

Loc: Dayton, Ohio USA
This topic causes many heated debates between traditionalist and non-traditionalist or more free trainers. Is kata important? It depends on why you are practicing karate. If all you want is to learn to fight maybe not for you. If you want physical training, mental discipline, and a feeling of a link to other martial artists very definately yes.

#104614 - 03/13/02 07:27 AM Re: The Necessity of Kata . . .
Sandifer Offline

Loc: Shelton, WA USA
Hmmm, Vash

Perhaps if you had posted a good opening statement about kata this thread would have had a bit more life to it. That way perhaps others would have something more substantial to feed off. IMO

Anyway, I have to say yes kata is necessary to any martial ART. In some way whether you call it kata all martial art styles have a set of movements which they practice in a repetative fashion which all students learn to replicate. It could be something as simple as the motions of throwing a punch. Now we really don't normally consider something to simple to be a kata but it is. Far more typical is that kata is a series of movement. For instance, three blocks and a punch while stepping and twisting about.

Point being that without some sort of pre-determined replicable pattern of movement which can demostrate principles of engagement then there is simply no ART. Nothing which defines the style as a style.

However, I realize that the "traditional kata" is not required in order to learn fighting techniques or rules of engagment.

I look forward to your own views.

Sandifer

#104615 - 03/27/02 12:46 PM Re: The Necessity of Kata . . .
Anonymous
Unregistered

Personally, I feel that kata (particularly the more traditional kata, which I like for reasons which go beyond the scope of this message) are essential for Toudi (Karate) training.

In Isshinryu, we have the eight empty hand kata, each of which can teach any number of things, depending upon the level of experience. Take Seisan: For me when I was on my second rank, it came off as an extemely simple kata, devoid of any real point. And after my seven years in ATA style Tae Kwon Do, I had really begun to question the point to kata/sets/forms/et al.
Then I learned some more.

Now, I am on Chinto, and I am just now finding out how I can work kata technique into situations. It was amazing to me that I could take what was just a ritualistic training routine and actually use it for something.

I'd better get off the soapbox now or I'll be on another subject entirely . . .

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga