FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 48 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 15
cxt 8
trevek 6
futsaowingchun 3
JKogas 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Throwing
by
04/23/05 10:58 PM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
Yesterday at 12:01 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/29/14 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432457 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#104204 - 01/06/05 05:26 AM The Kai, what is it for and other questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi, I've been attending a karate class for about a year now and I have a couple of issues about the 'kai' or shout that seems an integral part of the MA.

Oh, and can anyone replying please resist the urge to tell me that it 'summons your chi'. If you want to have the 'chi, real?' depate could it go on in another post or on the energy discussion forum, I'd prefer a purely physical reply if possible, cheers!

Anyway, the questions:

Is it necessary?
What does it actually achieve, in sparring or indeed actual fighting. Is it worth 'practicing' or should I just make what appear to be the arbitary noises with the rest of the class...

What sound should I be producing?
I'd have thought any noise which required your tongue to be near your teeth would be simply inviting a tongue severing blow to the jaw...for that matter, I'd have thought that anything which caused you to open your mouth while in combat would chance either smashed teeth, or indeed a broken jaw...isn't the jaw much, much weaker if even slightly open, than if closed?

Anyway, the whole idea seems fairly pointless to me, but most parts of karate seem to have a valid purpose rooted in effective body mechanics for fighting, so I'm expecting an valid answer...any help with this would be appreciated, cheers guys.

#104205 - 01/06/05 08:10 AM Re: The Kai, what is it for and other questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

The kia (sp?) does a few things in my opinion. There a couple of ways you can look at it - besides the whole gathering-up your chi thing.

It really does not matter what the sound is. The idea of the kia is in the breathing. By creating the loud sound, you are pushing more air out of your body. The kia is reserved for the 'devestating' or finishing blows during a fight. Therefore, you want the most power at this point. Pushing the air out at that speed and volume will help you do this.

Another explaination that I have heard is that it is to take the attention of your opponent. Whether it is to ditract, scare or intimidate them is up for debate.

Those are a couple of the physical explainations that I have heard. I hope this helps or gives you ideas.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by El_guitarrista:
Hi, I've been attending a karate class for about a year now and I have a couple of issues about the 'kai' or shout that seems an integral part of the MA.

Oh, and can anyone replying please resist the urge to tell me that it 'summons your chi'. If you want to have the 'chi, real?' depate could it go on in another post or on the energy discussion forum, I'd prefer a purely physical reply if possible, cheers!

Anyway, the questions:

Is it necessary?
What does it actually achieve, in sparring or indeed actual fighting. Is it worth 'practicing' or should I just make what appear to be the arbitary noises with the rest of the class...

What sound should I be producing?
I'd have thought any noise which required your tongue to be near your teeth would be simply inviting a tongue severing blow to the jaw...for that matter, I'd have thought that anything which caused you to open your mouth while in combat would chance either smashed teeth, or indeed a broken jaw...isn't the jaw much, much weaker if even slightly open, than if closed?

Anyway, the whole idea seems fairly pointless to me, but most parts of karate seem to have a valid purpose rooted in effective body mechanics for fighting, so I'm expecting an valid answer...any help with this would be appreciated, cheers guys.
[/QUOTE]

#104206 - 01/06/05 08:15 AM Re: The Kai, what is it for and other questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

The kia (sp?) does a few things in my opinion. There a couple of ways you can look at it - besides the whole gathering-up your chi thing.

It really does not matter what the sound is. The idea of the kia is in the breathing. By creating the loud sound, you are pushing more air out of your body. The kia is reserved for the 'devestating' or finishing blows during a fight. Therefore, you want the most power at this point. Pushing the air out at that speed and volume will help you do this.

Another explaination that I have heard is that it is to take the attention of your opponent. Whether it is to ditract, scare or intimidate them is up for debate.

Those are a couple of the physical explainations that I have heard. I hope this helps or gives you ideas.

#104207 - 01/06/05 11:06 AM Re: The Kai, what is it for and other questions
WADO Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: denver co usa
I had a Judo teacher tell me that different types of Kiai focus the muscles in different parts of your body, for example shouting a long A sound is supposed to tighten your stomach and core, shouting saw pronounced like the tool flexes the muscles in the neck and back. It is also supposed to be a distraction, and if you look at ancient warefare armies shouted before a charge so in some way it is supposed to relieve tension and give you courage, look at animals when they fight they always make sounds. It does also involve breathing but you can breathe properly withou an audible kiai, it focuses your attention at the moment of impact, finally try kiai 100 times in a row then the next day feel your abs, it strengthens and tightens abdominal muscles if you do it properly.

#104208 - 01/06/05 11:19 AM Re: The Kai, what is it for and other questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

The sound of a kiai is a direct result of your breathing. I agree completely with WadoT, a kiai adds power not through sound but through the rapid releasing of air from your lungs. The kiai is also a defensive technique in karate, that rapid release of air decreases greatly the chance of you being winded through a direct hit to the chest area.

#104209 - 01/06/05 12:23 PM Re: The Kai, what is it for and other questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

The kiai is also a defensive technique in karate, that rapid release of air decreases greatly the chance of you being winded through a direct hit to the chest area.

So would you say that I should expell a large amount of air when I kiai in order to empty my lungs?

Btw, thanks everyone for the comments so far.

#104210 - 01/07/05 12:13 AM Re: The Kai, what is it for and other questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes when you do a kiai technique you should empty your lungs completely of air. When you do a kiai your lungs should be completely full of air and then you will find when you release that air and strike your power will nearly double. Your ab and chest muscles will usually tense involuntary this tensing helps tone muscle and acts as a defense incase your hit squarly so your not winded as bad. It also increases your lung capacity building your stamina each time you do it correctly. Thats because your breathing properly thats what the kiai techniques teach. You sometimes not always will make a sound as a result of the breathing that is a proper kiai not just a yell. The more lung capacity you build and use the louder the sound.

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Supremor, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga