FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 64 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 3
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Marcus Charles 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#104076 - 09/29/04 06:51 PM Shadow Boxing vs Punching Bag
Anonymous
Unregistered

Does shadow boxing increase fighting ability?I do not have a punching bag so i do not have much to work with, will shadow boxing help me out? If not, any suggestions.
(cannot join a gym program, money is tight)

#104077 - 10/13/04 02:03 AM Re: Shadow Boxing vs Punching Bag
Anonymous
Unregistered

shadow boxing will help but a bag is better as it helps u to judge distance and improve the power and qucikness of your punches.
u could try using a potato sack or sumthing and hang it from somthing fill it with like dirt or sand or sumthin. or u could buy a bag

#104078 - 10/13/04 11:58 AM Re: Shadow Boxing vs Punching Bag
Anonymous
Unregistered

The best way is to have someone hold one hand mitt in each hand. That way you get a moving opponent without needing to visualize and this opponent can also fight back.

#104079 - 10/13/04 04:06 PM Re: Shadow Boxing vs Punching Bag
Anonymous
Unregistered

I like to train both. Generally, I found the bag is great for building power, and really helped my kicks. I shadow box in front of a cement wall, which can be a target. Punches stop an inch away, kicks can too or make contact (watch toes). Shift constantly to readjust distance. Start far away, work close with multiple techniques... This can be quite tiring if training fast! Go slower work on fluidity, clean technique... Also try a makiwara. I know alot of people don't like to use these, but I've found them to be great for a powerful gyaku/cross. Improvise and get some old gym mats, stand them against a wall and drill away! Hope this helps.

#104080 - 10/21/04 05:09 PM Re: Shadow Boxing vs Punching Bag
Anonymous
Unregistered

shadow box infront of a mirror

lol something so simple yet everyone misses it

check your form, watch ur technique as you shadow box

#104081 - 10/28/04 09:51 AM Re: Shadow Boxing vs Punching Bag
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by em22:
Does shadow boxing increase fighting ability?I do not have a punching bag so i do not have much to work with, will shadow boxing help me out? If not, any suggestions.
(cannot join a gym program, money is tight)
[/QUOTE]
Shadow box will increase speed and co ordination. a bag will increase power and srengthen the muscles hands and joint involved in punching.
Wrap an old bed mattress around a door frame(thats what rocky did in rocky 1) point is just puch somthing hard but not bear brick

#104082 - 11/06/04 09:16 PM Re: Shadow Boxing vs Punching Bag
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've trained with both, and while I agree that the bags are best for building strength, shadow boxing does improve speed. It, also, lets you move around to practice attacks from different angles.

If you can find a re-breakable plastic board at a MA supply store, that can be a good substitution for a bag. It will help you with strength and conditioning.

#104083 - 12/12/04 10:34 PM Re: Shadow Boxing vs Punching Bag
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Exclamatio:
shadow box infront of a mirror

lol something so simple yet everyone misses it

check your form, watch ur technique as you shadow box
[/QUOTE]

shadow boxing infront of the mirror is good but ive actually hurt myself doing this..

i got out of the shower once and had the towel still in my hand and bagan to shadow box infront of the mirror. i began a combo but after a jab i attempted a uppercut and whipped myself in the nuts with the towel in my hand.

#104084 - 02/18/05 01:28 PM Re: Shadow Boxing vs Punching Bag
Anonymous
Unregistered

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA THATS THE FUNNIEST THING IVE HEARD ALL DAY!!!

#104085 - 02/28/05 04:07 PM Re: Shadow Boxing vs Punching Bag
Anonymous
Unregistered

You should probably shadow-box every day if you are serious about boxing. This will improve your combos and footwork as well as building the all important stamina. Make sure when you do shadow box don't stay still. Get a clear area at least the size of a bedroom and move about.

The bag is there for building muscle and practicing impacts. Try twice a weekend if you are serious. (I only do heavy bag once a week) It is a very good workout. If you can keep it up for 20 minutes full bore I'd be very impressed (I can only manage 10 minutes). See how many punches you can do in a minute (boy does a minute go slow when you're on a heavy bag) keep trying to improve on your previous number and you'll see your stamina improving. (Get someone else to count for you, it's easier and you can compete) If you are in a university or school many of them have free or cheap gyms. If not then I hear that a matress is almost as good.

If there's a community boxing club in your area and you don't mind getting a bit beat up that's the best way to learn.

While training will improve your technique nothing is a good substitute for safely training against someone else (maybe semi-contact if you're particular about getting physical over a sparring match). (I'm not a boxer but this is true of all MA) Make sure you always use protective headgear and mitts, it's not a competition match so try not to get KOed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Supremor, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga