FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 41 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
jwwmantis 2
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Chum Kiu's double Tan Sau motion
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:08 AM
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Chum Kiu's double Tan Sau motion
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:08 AM
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35592 Topics
432527 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#104003 - 05/20/04 03:25 PM Running/ Conditioning
1st Round KO Offline
Veteran

Loc: New York City, USA
does anyone here run as part of their training? if so, im looking to mix up my stamina training and could use some new and exciting running/ sprint exercises as im pretty bored with my current run routine.
i have 4 weeks to crank up my fitness so please bear this in mind regarding your programs.
thanks.

#104004 - 05/26/04 05:29 AM Re: Running/ Conditioning
otobeawanker Offline

Loc: CANADA
I always found running boreing unless I am chasing the man with the ball.

When you are running your mind is idling often thinking about the weekend and such. So do some math problems in your head while you run. Being able to think under fatigue is a good skill to practice.

#104005 - 05/26/04 05:47 AM Re: Running/ Conditioning
joesixpack Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Australia
Running gets rid of stress. I recommend mixing up running with cycling. Have a span of distances that you run over different terrain.

Cycling. 1 hr fast.

Sprints - uphill, 20-30m intervals, about 4-6, in sets of 3-6.

6km/4 mile run through steep hills.

10-16km/6-10 mile run over varying terrain.

All four once a week.

Bump up the one you like to a few times a week for more aerobic/anaerobic or weight loss.

Weights are good for cardio and of course strength and weight loss.

I recommend you run every day in the second and third week, with respect to tiredness and stiffness.

#104006 - 05/29/04 07:45 AM Re: Running/ Conditioning
White-Tiger Offline

Loc: Adelaide,australia
If your looking for stamina maybe you could try a course at your gym? im not realy an expert on those but im sure if you ask a staff member there they would be able to help you find the right one.

#104007 - 05/29/04 07:54 AM Re: Running/ Conditioning
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
It's always easy to exercise if it's in the process of doing something enjoyable. I have found that playing basketball is a great way of getting your "wind".

-John

#104008 - 05/29/04 05:49 PM Re: Running/ Conditioning
Kotetsu Offline

Loc: Hollis, NH, USA
Do weighted stair runs. Grab a back pack or weight vest if you hae one, fill it with heavy things, and run up and down stairs, making sure you hit each step, no skipping.
-Louis

#104009 - 06/01/04 09:38 AM Re: Running/ Conditioning
1st Round KO Offline
Veteran

Loc: New York City, USA
i suck at basketball but also worry about getting injured so close to the fight ie. knees, groin.
i just want to concentrate on pure anaerobic running drills as my time is short.

#104010 - 07/13/04 03:53 PM Re: Running/ Conditioning
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have been running regularly 3 times a week for the past nine weeks trying to improve my cardio. My initial goal was to build a base that would afford me enough stamina to put more into my workouts and thus gain more in terms of training.

I broke it up into three week segments or nine workouts. In the first three week phase, I focused on just running. Slow at first and for a duration of no more than 15-20 minutes. The nine workouts went by pretty fast to my surprise.

In the second phase, I started doing some interval training one day a week. After a five minute warm up, I would run hard for a minute and then rest for a minute and so on for a total of five or six reps. After a minute on, a sixty second recovery is very difficult especially in the later reps.

In the third phase (now) I am doing interval training 2 out of the 3 days. The intensity is coming up as I am pushing harder on the envelope to go at max for the duration of the interval. Recovery time is dropping as well.

The trick is to start your next rep before you have a full recovery from your last. This mimicks the roler coaster cardio that you go through in a long fight much better than LSD (Long Slow Distance) running.

I like the sixty to ninety second reps but remember that the longer you go, physiologically the lower your intensity will be. There is always a trade off.

Good luck.

#104011 - 07/13/04 04:02 PM Re: Running/ Conditioning
Anonymous
Unregistered

Variety in typical cardo fashion and stamina drills (geared towards fighting, or specificty training of whatever your into).

I also like visualizing combat and various manuevers and such while doing cardio/stamina. It gives me a good drive to keep going.

Consistancy and motivation are key ... good luck.

Humbly,

(Edit for typo)

[This message has been edited by Italian Monk (edited 07-13-2004).]

#104012 - 07/19/04 01:40 PM Re: Running/ Conditioning
Anonymous
Unregistered

Interval training seems to work best but I advise against doing them every day. I alternate between interval training and traditional cardio work. My interval training is simple. I do it on an elliptical trainer but just about anything will work. Basically you are doing wind sprints.

I start at a slow to moderate pace for two minutes and then I go as hard as I can for 30 seconds. I again do two minutes at a slow pace and then hit it as hard as the machine and I can tolerate for the next 30 seconds. I've worked my way up so that I can do 12 work periods before I fail to recover enough during my 2 minutes slow period.

I do this three times a week and then three times a week I do the standard set pace type of thing. When I added this to my routine but didn't make any other chages I dropped my percentage of body fat over a period of two months from about 13% down to about 9%. At my age I feel this was an excellent result for the work. More importatnly I my wind when sparring was certainly improved.

Give interval training a try. Committ to sticking with it for at least 8 weeks before you decide if it does you any good though.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Supremor, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga