FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 43 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
BUJU, Pilsungkarate, ALF, old1, Leonar
22928 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Ronin1966 3
ergees 2
Victor Smith 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 04:53 PM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 04:53 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Forum Stats
22928 Members
36 Forums
35583 Topics
432511 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 8 of 11 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#103904 - 11/11/04 02:42 PM Re: How do you deal with a charging bull?
Anonymous
Unregistered

If strength didn't matter, then uh..., martial arts still would be invented because the chinese bhuddhist monks were being beaten with clubs by haters.
but anyway, to agree with you:
the rule is strenght is an advantage. no one says otherwise. it's not the winning edge though. and there are ways to minimize the big guys' advantages, hence another main point of MA as you've said.

i was just basically pissed because most people were like "oh he's bigger than you, there's not much you can do. fight someone in your weight class". and i'm still a firm believer in my beliefs as stated above.

#103905 - 11/11/04 02:50 PM Re: How do you deal with a charging bull?
Anonymous
Unregistered

After this post I'm done hogging this board for a while...
My belief is essentially that if in a fight, people are mismatched with one having X% more skill and the other having X% more weight (where x= anything from 10-100), as a RULE, i'd put my money on the skilled guy. maybe i should post this question as a new thread and see what other people feel...

#103906 - 11/12/04 09:04 AM Re: How do you deal with a charging bull?
MAGon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Miami, Fl.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mauibum:
ok. so i think we're mostly in agreement. about the whole sidestep + hook or sidekick thing if they're really rushing madly and at high speed, but what do you think about what i said before?:
"more highly trained fighters (ones you have to worry about it), won't rush madly with the power of a thousand horses, and you will probably get away with even a poorly-weighted front-kick" good fighters have to have some control, and at least in my training center, i've never seen someone who couldn't be stopped by a front push kick (if they hadn't already closed the gap betweeen the fighters). The only danger being that if you telegraph what you're going to do they can feint, wait for the kick, and then charge, when you're slightly off balance to the front.

another point (to make a total production out of this, heheh) It's not about momentum so much as the use of weight/gravity and leverage, i think. It's like if you run straight into a pole, the pole's momentum is 0, but it will still stop you cold. When you push kick and lean into it, you're back leg will be at an angle approaching 45 degrees(leaning towards your opponent), and all of their momentum will get transmuted to the ground, so all you have to do is make sure you're leaning in at an appopriate angle, and you'll have all the force of the ground backing you up (almost as if you had your back to a wall and someone ran full speed into your foot, except instead of the wall, you are using the ground and angles and some friction between your foot and the ground to keep you firmly rooted. Also bring your kick pressure downwards after you connect, not horizontally and deffinitely not upwards. Imagine running into a piece of rebar (with a shoe on the end) coming 3 feet high off the ground at a 45 degree angle. The only differenc is that the rebar is actually stuck to the ground, and you are relying on friction. I wouldn't reccomend this move on an icy pond, but in general i think it would work.
[/QUOTE]

As I said, when you modified your post to add kicking at an angle instead of head on, it became a whole different situation.
And now that you add the modifier about a trained fighter's methodology, it changes again.
Given the above, I don't see anything I would object to in what you're saying.
However, regardless of the angle or the amount of momentum being generated by the opponent, "action/ reaction" will always be present. The trick is to minimize it's effects. Angles and body mechanics to maximize your leverage are a big part of the answer, as well as timing.

#103907 - 11/17/04 05:46 PM Re: How do you deal with a charging bull?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'd personally recommend the side step and side kick for a rushing opponent over that thrust kick, or if you aren't afraid to get in and dirty, a nice hip throw as he rushes past you. It works effectively for me, and I spar with a guy who's like 250 or so. Haven't lost to him yet. I don't know if you guys grapple when you spar, but if you really want to take the bull head on, this takedown always works for me, no matter how big the opponent. As he rushes in you need to sidestep left and catch his his head in a guillotine headlock in your right armpit and secure it. Then leading with your right leg, hook sweep his right leg. You should try to direct his fall under you and across at 45 degrees. You will land in a very secure reverse nelson and have control of his breathing.

#103908 - 12/06/04 09:55 PM Re: How do you deal with a charging bull?
Anonymous
Unregistered

In my style we would sink a little lower in our horse stance, rotate torso and opposite arm to attacker swings through and folds with elbow point smashing into upper thorax/throat/face of opponent. You will not be moved, I am 5 foot 9, 200lbs. No one has moved me yet.

#103909 - 12/07/04 06:33 AM Re: How do you deal with a charging bull?
JohnL Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: NY, NY, USA
[QUOTE]Originally posted by andyjc9:
In my style we would sink a little lower in our horse stance, rotate torso and opposite arm to attacker swings through and folds with elbow point smashing into upper thorax/throat/face of opponent. You will not be moved, I am 5 foot 9, 200lbs. No one has moved me yet.[/QUOTE]

If you are still standing in line when you are bull-rushed by a significantly heavier guy, you will be stomped on. The horse stance you suggest will do very little for you. If the stance is at right angles to the attack you will have no base to oppose the incoming force. If your stance is in line with the attack, all you have done is expose the side of your knee to being crushed in a way that no self respecting knee deserves.

Overall technique score 2 out of 10.

JohnL

#103910 - 12/08/04 01:47 PM Re: How do you deal with a charging bull?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm slightly confused as to what defines a "mack truck". I'm 5'11" (about 180cm) and mass close to 2 bills. (about 88kg) In my sparring class, (which is a continuous point format with excessive contact being defined as that which causes serious injury), I'm quite capable of stopping, with a defensive side kick, a blitz from people to whom I give up close to a hundred pounds. Perhaps this is a result of a difference in sparring rules where I fight and where other fight or a difference in the technique of the side kick, but a properly executed side-kick (where I grew up) should be able to stop a larger opponent if thrown properly. (W/in reason. A 115# person who can leg press 80lbs probably can't stop a 300lb person who can leg press close to a 1000.)

We are taught to throw the side leaning into the target, and not standing straight up on the support leg. (which, I agree, would result in being knocked on your butt.)

So I guess my question is this - What rules are in place when trying to stop this "mack truck"? It sounds like a ring situation and not street, but I may be mistaken...

#103911 - 12/08/04 08:45 PM Re: How do you deal with a charging bull?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had to spar with a "charging bull" once. I'm 5'9 and weigh 135lbs. I had to spar with a 40 year old guy that probably weighed 250 lbs. He would always come charging at me and when i tried to meet him in the charge it wouldn't end good. So we broke up and my master told me to dodge and counter, so the round started and he came at my charging, i side stepped and kicked him a few times. That kept going on, and finally he tried to front kick me and put all his weight in the kick. i side stepped and he threw out his knee. I thought it was a pretty good victory ^_-

#103912 - 12/08/04 10:53 PM Re: How do you deal with a charging bull?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Awesome. Not so much that he got hurt, because that's bad, but that he did it to himself trying to crush somebody half his size.

Best way not be hit? No be there. When fighting a larger opponent, use guerilla tactics. Be the VietCong against the US.

#103913 - 12/28/04 02:43 AM Re: How do you deal with a charging bull?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I too am a smallish guy 5'8" & 148lbs and ponder the idea of how to tackle bigger guys. I am fortunate to have a 6'2" 250lb'ish friend to train with and i've found the best non-fancy methods work best. A snapping lead leg front kick to the groin would be my preferred initial counter.

Falcon

Page 8 of 11 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Supremor, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga