FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Troy7785, wakita, swisztony, Tonybb, shelly1993
22920 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Matakiant 3
AndyLA 3
Zombie Zero 1
Marcus Charles 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Eugue Ryu
by
03/27/07 12:06 AM
Recent Posts
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Victor Smith
09/28/14 07:11 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
Forum Stats
22920 Members
36 Forums
35579 Topics
432500 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#103822 - 05/04/05 04:44 PM Re: Gymnastics in forms? [Re: Bushi_no_ki]
sunspots Offline
oldtimer/newbie
Enthusiast

Loc: Southern Oregon, USA
I have been in tournaments which had separate divisions for "Traditional Forms," (the way they are usually taught in your school and performed for testing purposes,) and "Creative Forms," where pretty much anything goes.

Seems like a good way to divide the two areas....

#103823 - 05/05/05 02:09 PM Re: Gymnastics in forms? [Re: sunspots]
Kintama Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Massachusetts
Here's a link if you want more info on gymnastic MA:

http://www.powercheerleading.com/

#103824 - 05/06/05 08:40 PM Re: Gymnastics in forms? [Re: Kintama]
Ominae Offline

Loc: USA - Massachusetts
Heres another linky: http://www.bilang.com/system.php

I wish they'd stop calling this crap martial arts. If the only requirement for something to be a martial art is that you kick/punch then technically my entire formative years as a toddler could be considered martial arts. Don't get me wrong, these folks look like they are in great shape and there is definite value in being that flexible and having those "fast-twitch" muscles. But seriously, why flip-kick when a well placed punch will do so much better.

A little Wikipedia definition: "Martial arts, also known as fighting systems, are bodies of codified practices or traditions of training for unarmed and armed combat."

*Edt: Anyone ever seen the movie "Gymkata"? Oh man, talk about one cheesy ass movie. There is a scene in the movie where the star uses a well that is conveniently shaped like a pommel horse to kick all his attackers as they circle in on him. I can't do this movies cheese factor justice, google it to find some good pics.

Edited by Ominae (05/06/05 08:43 PM)

#103825 - 05/09/05 04:19 AM Re: Gymnastics in forms? [Re: Ominae]
Bushi_no_ki Offline
Veteran

Loc: POM, Monterey CA
was that sight even about MA??? All it looked like to me was gymnasts doing floor excercises, and they just wore gi. You're not trying to tell me that people actually consider that MA are you. MCDOJO ALERT!!!

#103826 - 05/09/05 05:43 AM Re: Gymnastics in forms? [Re: Bushi_no_ki]
Victor Smith Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Derry, NH
There are Chinese arte where gymnastic ability is part of the fighting tradition. Those arts practice extremely complicated locks and throws and the gymnastic movements are ways of countering those techniques, to move out of those locks as they're being formed, and if you can't do the release, too bad.

Of course that's a far cry from using gymnastic movement to 'look good' to the judges.

V

#103827 - 05/10/05 12:37 AM Re: Gymnastics in forms? [Re: Victor Smith]
WhiteRice Offline

I train at a dojo for bujinkan budo taijutsu (ninjitsu), and there is a lot of rolling, cartwheels (no hands), and other acrobatic thigns. I think this all shows an important part in being aware of where you are. Agility is important in martial arts, and acrobatics shows that well.

On the other hand I don't think that this should be a large portion of what is judged.

#103828 - 05/10/05 07:47 AM Re: Gymnastics in forms? [Re: Victor Smith]
Bushi_no_ki Offline
Veteran

Quote:

There are Chinese arte where gymnastic ability is part of the fighting tradition. Those arts practice extremely complicated locks and throws and the gymnastic movements are ways of countering those techniques, to move out of those locks as they're being formed, and if you can't do the release, too bad.

Of course that's a far cry from using gymnastic movement to 'look good' to the judges.

V

I've actually seen a practitioner of such an art once at a tournament. His form was awesome. However, you could tell that it was MA in nature, because his moves always flowed together, and the hand motions made alot of sense in conjuction with his body. Ie, his hands always led and then followed his body, and the position of his arms looked like they were in a lock, sans opponent.

What peeves me is the guys who take a traditional form and change a part of it to look better, or add unnecessary and/or irrelevant flips to their forms.

#103829 - 05/10/05 12:36 PM Re: Gymnastics in forms? [Re: Bushi_no_ki]
Victor Smith Offline
Professional Poster

People have been including gymnastics in kata since forever. Hidy Ochiai used to do traditional style forms and incorporate back flips in them in the 70's.

Some people have very impressive gymnastics and martial technique interwoven.

If you want a way to judge whether their efforts are more than superior gymnastics (and nothing wrong with that if that's where your head is at.

If in the form if there is one movement where the punch is a push (to just extend the movement flor for the eyes of those watching) or one technique that is not martial in intent, then the entire form is not martial. [I'm assuming this is not a beginner, where mistakes may make incorrect technique.]

The flaw most modern forms have, is the high energy of the gymnastics is often followed with pretend techniques.

To consider a form martial each technique must be directed with correct energy/flow to martial contentl. The advanced Chinese forms (not modern WuShu) using gymnastics were all created with that in mind.

It still seems a reasonable way to look at it.

#103830 - 05/10/05 03:24 PM Re: Gymnastics in forms? [Re: Victor Smith]
Bushi_no_ki Offline
Veteran

That is a reasonable way to look at it. Most people who've been training seriously for at least a few years can tell the difference between a real kata and a gymnastic routine. A sr ranking BB should most certainly be able to tell the difference. I've beaten guys in tournaments who changed their forms to include flying spinning kicks in places they didn't belong simply because I chose a traditional form and didn't change it. The one time I tried changing my form all I did was add something to the end, and I didn't do as well, even though the flow was there.

#103831 - 05/10/05 09:28 PM Re: Gymnastics in forms? [Re: Bushi_no_ki]
Victor Smith Offline
Professional Poster

Bushi,

I've been at this over 30 years.
When the first gymnastic forms came about they were rather tradition, like Hidy Ochiai doing a perfect back flip in the middle of a form. Or Jhoon Rhee's classical music TKD forms.
Then Gary Michak created 'Superman' to the superman theme song (from the movie). His was a prefectly, incredibly complex form.

When gymnastics crept in (such as instructors havingi their young students begin training in gymnastics too, and the custom building forms, I don't think we knew how to judge them.

They didn't look like karate, but the skills to do what they were doing were extreme, so a great gymnastic routine, versus a great Chinto became hard to judge, and many (myself included) likely gave extra credit to the gym form.

But in those days nobody was spending much time on the application potential of karate. As I greadually became enraptured by the 'force' (star wars plug, good timing of course) I eventually left tournaments behind.

Then I came to realize martial intent and other things. And when I saw how the early gymnastic MA forms became modern Juke and Jive forms, with kicks and strikes for looks, not focus how to judge them came to me.

Today I only would judge any black belts forms of any sort by one standard. If the entire martial intent is perfect 100% if thee's one mistake 0. And from what I've seen todays Juke and Jive are almost a certain 0.

But then judging myself I'm a 0 too. But those I would give 100% too, those are the ones to watch out for.

Heck If I could do Superman I'd love to do it, martial or not, it was neat!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Supremor, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga