FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT, sagat
22914 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
AndyLA 2
ergees 2
kolslaw 1
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
Recent Posts
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
09/09/14 05:55 PM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/07/14 07:01 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
09/02/14 06:26 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
Forum Stats
22914 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432491 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#103661 - 07/20/01 03:11 PM Drills vrs free fighting
Paul T Offline

Loc: USA
When working on Kumite, what do people
think is the best balance between drills -
Pad work, partner training, 1 step etc..
and actual free fighting. it seems that
working combinations, pre-arranged drills
is extremely important. but without free
fighting applications, students can get
too rigid and unable to apply them when
ready to fight. so in class time, what is
the optimal balance between the 2? 50/50?
more on drills or more on Jiyu Kumite?

I look forward to others experience and
opinions. Thank you.

Paul

#103662 - 08/25/01 12:43 AM Re: Drills vrs free fighting
Ken Bright Offline
Stranger

Loc: Wellston,Ohio
Hi Paul,
Well I believe that the more free fighting you do the better you get. However if you find yourself fighting the same fighters all of the time you become acustom to their fighting techniques which will cause you not to be on your toes meaning you already know what's coming. While one steps are vital to traing they give you the techniques you need to work into your sparring time. One will become a better fighter putting together different attack combinations not stopping after just one or two techniques. When attacking always attack with a combination of not less the three techniques, five if possible. So see you realy need to know what techniques your going to use with each attack so you don't get in on someone and run out of technique...I ramble on to much...I'll type more later...Ken Bright
http://www.bright.net/~kbright/karate.index.html

#103663 - 11/06/02 07:16 PM Re: Drills vrs free fighting
Genki_Geri Offline

Loc: Bronx, New York, United States
I agree with Ken, one step sparring works as a building block to your fighting and it is absolutely necessary. It'll be useful in fighting different people, in a way that you can adjust your attacks depending on the type of fighter you're fighting with. Jiyu Kumite is also necessary, it teaches you how to apply your techniques properly

#103664 - 02/02/03 07:36 AM Re: Drills vrs free fighting
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
One step sparring isn't really going to help much because TIMING isn't developed.

Better to use focus pads and boxing flow drills which offer more continuous movement.

Leave the one step sparring in the k-rate school.

-John

#103665 - 02/14/03 07:53 PM Re: Drills vrs free fighting
Jamoni Offline
Veteran

Loc: St. Louis, MO, USA
I'm not a big fan of one steps. I believe they are only useful when begining to learn a technique. IE, first you watch sensei demonstrate, then you ape him clumsily for a while, then you see how it feels against a helpful partner using one steps.
My problem is that too often that's as far as it goes. One steps, used too much, lead to an inevitable mental "stop". Meaning, "Okay, I've thrown my reverse punch, the technique is OVER." There is a break in the flow where the student waits for the one step to restart. Very problematic on the street. My sensei liked to start a technique as a one step, and then let it flow into 30 seconds of freestyle sparring, so you could get a feel of where you could go from that technique. Then we would do sparring where the whole object was to do the specified technique AT SOME POINT in the sparring. Your opponent had the same goal. This helped develop a feel of how to set up certain techniques.
Of course, we didn't get to do these unless our control was good on the technique.

#103666 - 02/20/03 04:40 AM Re: Drills vrs free fighting
taebot Offline
Veteran

Loc: KANSAS
Repetitive drills are a matter of personality. Some people love them. I don't. I prefer to throw feet because my matches were never won by combinations but by timing and distance (see, we can agree on many things there, JK! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG] ).

I like them for cardio and for teenage boys whom especialy seem to be calmed by the repetitions.

#103667 - 03/28/03 07:24 PM Re: Drills vrs free fighting
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
Drills are for at home for me. When Im alone and can focus on just the drill. In a dojo setting i want to learn from every artist there. To do that, freefighting all the way.

#103668 - 12/20/03 12:49 AM Re: Drills vrs free fighting
Shang Chi Offline
Stranger

Loc: Sth Canty New Zealand
[QUOTE]kata and drills are like blue in the sky one in the same .Do them both it seems pretty natural

#103669 - 12/23/03 04:19 PM Re: Drills vrs free fighting
Spiritknight Offline

Loc: Harrisburg,Pa,USA
Konichiwa
the best way around it is to learn a few techniques and practice it for a week the following week apply those techniques in free style fighting and make it a note that each person must do a different technique each day to progress in the class. usually i drill my students for a week during the first part of the day. then let them practice those on each other doing one step during the second part of the day. then the following week we put that all to test doing free fighting. Every month i allow a select amount of my students that meet the qualifications to have a 1 on 1 w/ me followed by all on me. of course my students wear padding and i wear punching gloves so as not to hurt a student who has paid me good money to learn my style. now i am not certified to teach nor do i even have a belt of anything above white in anything, well i don't have the belt but i am the eqiuvelent of a brown-black belt in Shaolin/Kempo Karate, Kung Fu, Judo, Kendo, and Tae Kwon Do. as far as telling you different techniques of each forget it cause i don't know the names.some may think this is a bunch of Bull but we shall see at a coming M.A.T. I will be entering under Free Style fighting since it is open in the black belt category under the art of Kao Kyone Ken style. And if you wonder where i got the Kao Ken from you guessed it DBZ. only because i can do something like it. well its time to go get some chinese buffet.

#103670 - 08/05/04 12:37 AM Re: Drills vrs free fighting
Anonymous
Unregistered

im guessing you do a japanese martial art? since you used the word kumite. In japan it is believed that basics are the most important such as line drills. one steps are good for some one attacking with a punch, kick ect and learning how to defend. One steps are different than sparring and i think for effective since in one steps there are take downs, eye gouges, low kicking, punching to the head and many other things that are not usually not used in sparring for safety reasons. i believe that one steps and line drills are more important, but i also like to apply that in kumite. we cant just do one we must do everything because one excircse might deal with speed, the next power, the next distance and timing and ect

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Supremor, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga